PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.

fantasyjunkie
01-24-2007, 07:06 AM
I was about 15 years old or so when I first heard this album and was blown away by the female solo in The Great Gig in the Sky. Totally awesome album.

Yamaneko
01-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Clare Torry went into the studio without any direction. The entire thing was improvised on the spot and apparently when she finished recording the vocals she was very embarrassed with her performance, but the guys thought she was fantastic and of course mixed her into the master tapes and Rick's amazing piano work on the song.

I first listened to DSotM in its entirety when I was about eleven or twelve. I thought it was an amazing sound, but as I ventured forward into other progressive musical styles I found Wish You Were Here to be a more complete album, not only conceptually, but also musically. Not to detract anything from Dark Side, but The Floyd's sound would continue to grow from there and ultimately culminate with The Wall. WYWH was the pinnacle of that musical journey.

fire_of_avalon
01-24-2007, 01:18 PM
A few years ago (it's so weird to say that) I made a thread about my dislike for Pink Floyd, mostly due to repeated exposure of a few tracks. But they're pretty much inescapable if you listen to classic rock radio, and as I've grown up I've actually developed a like for the band. There are still some very famous tracks that irritate me to no end (Is Anybody Out There?, Money, The Great Gig in the Sky) and some not so famous tracks that I think are phenomenal (Vera, Young Lust, Yet Another Movie).

Slade
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Pink Floyd are probably my all time favourite band and 'Dark Side of the Moon' is definatly one of their gems, although I do prefer both 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Animals'. I first listened to Darkside at the end of 2005 when my music tastes were changing and I was listening to more classic rock, funk rock and acoustic rock than the nu metal stuff I started with. I was instantly hooked when I heard it. 'Time' has got to be one of Floyd's greatest songs.

Renmiri
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
DSoTM, Animals, Wish You Were Here and The Wall are great.

The girl's vocals are great but I can only listen to it sometimes. Other times it hits me a oddly disturbing...

I've been listening a lot of "Brain Damage" from DSoTM lately though.

Ryth
01-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Dark Side Of The Moon is an amazing album, though I personally prefer The Wall (my favourite). Major props to Wish You Were Here, Meddle, and Animals as well.

Resha
01-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Most certainly it is an amazing album -- had to have been, to be #1 for what...8 years? But my favourite albums would still have to be Wish You Were Here and The Wall. The Wall has some gems within it, which does enough for me to balance out the "filler" songs. :-) The Great Gig in the Sky was amazing, I agree. My favourite song (alongside "Us and Them") from tDSotM; the vocals are amazing, and like Yams said, it was totally improvised. Unfortunately, I think she sued them PF fellows for not receiving...something...

Bah.

Bunny
01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I can't stand Pink Floyd because I am a horrible person.

XxSephirothxX
01-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm not real big on Dark Side of the Moon. Maybe I just can't appreciate it, or something. A lot of the songs just felt overly long, and I was expecting to be blown away, which was certainly part of the problem. I didn't like Pink Floyd much at all for awhile, but once I started listening to more of their stuff that began to change. I still much prefer The Wall to Dark Side of the Moon, though.

DarkLadyNyara
01-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I love most of Dark Side of the Moon, but The Great Gig in the Sky annoys the holy hell out of me. :(

My favorite album is A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

CloudDragon
02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Pink Floyd was the driving force of my modern tastes in music back when I was 15 or 16. I had always heard the classics but never committed to a full album until Wish You Were Here, and then Dark Side. I can say they are easily my favorite band of all time.

Rengori
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
If you don't listen to all the tracks in a row in one sitting you're listening to it wrong.

Odaisé Gaelach
02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I really like DSoTM, except for On The Run. That's the only real flaw in the entire album, methinks.

Renmiri
02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
If you don't listen to all the tracks in a row in one sitting you're listening to it wrong.

You will get depressed if you listen to all in one sitting. Better pace yourself ;)

ThundagAuron
02-09-2007, 01:27 AM
This is THE album to listen to after a long shift at work on a Weekend. I absolutely love this album. Perfect from start to finish.

I actually just got the Pulse DVDs/CDs and wow, is it ever great live.

escobert
02-09-2007, 01:40 AM
I love Dark Side of the Moon but not as much as Wish You Were Here and The Wall. and foa, Vera is one of my favorite floyd songs :D

Vincent, Thunder God
02-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Dark Side of the Moon is of course one of the masterpeices of one of my favourite bands, Pink Floyd. It does, however, get a little too much attention, along with the other highly successful albums that followed in it's wake, such as Wish You Were, Animals, and especially the Wall.

The fact of the matter is that, the band had a really rocky start with albums like Saucerful of Secrets, More and Ummagumma released 1968-1969 (which came after the surprisingly enjoyable debut psychadelic album of 1967, an album whose success came from the original leader of Pink Floyd, Syd Barret, who recently died at 60 after many difficult years of tragic mental illness, sparked by a drug-fueled nervous breakdown).

But despite all that, the band created several lesser-valued gems, and, in my opinion, masterpeices that many casual fans (and even some hardcore fans) lose out on. These, in order, are Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds. This last album is a somewhat lesser gem, since it was made in one week as a soundtrack to a little-known French film (actually their second full soundtrack, and third if you count the music they contributed to Zabriskie point) but Atom Heart Mother is an extravagant acheviement backed by a full orchestra, and Meddle has, among shorter blues rock peices, the under-rated epic Echoes.

Shine On...
02-13-2007, 02:53 AM
I can easily say that this album made me the person I am today. Without it I would have never have delved into the musical realms of Post-Rock, Jazz, or even Electronica.

the first time I heard the CD I think I was about 12 and I was just blown away by its sheer beauty. I listened to nothing else but that album for the next 8 months of my life.

If I didn't listen to it, I would never have the patience for half the music I listen to today.

Although there are people saying that there are lesser appreciated gems that they made out there (Which I wholeheartedly agree with) I think that this is by far my favorite album of theirs, none of the others clicked for me exactly like this one did.

Ryth
02-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Dark Side of the Moon is of course one of the masterpeices of one of my favourite bands, Pink Floyd. It does, however, get a little too much attention, along with the other highly successful albums that followed in it's wake, such as Wish You Were, Animals, and especially the Wall.

The fact of the matter is that, the band had a really rocky start with albums like Saucerful of Secrets, More and Ummagumma released 1968-1969 (which came after the surprisingly enjoyable debut psychadelic album of 1967, an album whose success came from the original leader of Pink Floyd, Syd Barret, who recently died at 60 after many difficult years of tragic mental illness, sparked by a drug-fueled nervous breakdown).

But despite all that, the band created several lesser-valued gems, and, in my opinion, masterpeices that many casual fans (and even some hardcore fans) lose out on. These, in order, are Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds. This last album is a somewhat lesser gem, since it was made in one week as a soundtrack to a little-known French film (actually their second full soundtrack, and third if you count the music they contributed to Zabriskie point) but Atom Heart Mother is an extravagant acheviement backed by a full orchestra, and Meddle has, among shorter blues rock peices, the under-rated epic Echoes.

Oh man, I loved Meddle. I agree, it is severely underrated.

escobert
02-13-2007, 03:55 AM
I'm not too fond of there more trippy stuff. My dad loves it but I think's it's just meh.

Shoeberto
02-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Dark Side of the Moon is mindblowing. I think the only song I've never cared much for is Us and Them, contrary to a lot of people, but it just gets really boring to me after a while. It's still an integral part of the album, though, so I don't skip over it.

I think The Wall is still my favorite out of the lineup, though admittedly I've only listened to WYWH, Dark Side and it.

Man. Now I want to start listening to Floyd again.

escobert
02-13-2007, 04:02 AM
stu, listen to Animals and The Final Cut

Jebus
02-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Final Cut = no. Listen to Meddle instead.

Yamaneko
02-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Dark Side of the Moon is mindblowing. I think the only song I've never cared much for is Us and Them, contrary to a lot of people, but it just gets really boring to me after a while. It's still an integral part of the album, though, so I don't skip over it.
Wow. Really? Best track on the album, in my opinion. Love Dick Parry's sax work on it.

Slade
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Final Cut = no. Listen to Meddle instead.
'Meddle''s great but I prefer 'The Final Cut'. I never would have said this about three months ago but I've been hooked on 'The Final Cut' lately. 'The Gunner's Dream' is one of best songs ever, in my opinion.