PDA

View Full Version : This game worth playing?

Master Vivi
01-25-2007, 10:50 PM
i have the game and it sits in its box. i payed like 60 bucks for the limited edition. i played this game for like 4 hours and it got boring. so the question is should i start playing it again?

leader of mortals
01-25-2007, 11:17 PM
yes

Renmiri
01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
I felt the same way playing just with Vaan.

Gameplay gets fun after you get to the Rabanastre palace because you get to control a party and go to some very cool places like the sky city of Bhujerba which you go right after the palace and the next mission. And right after Bhujerba there is one of the coolest missions in a game: rescue Princess Lea a Princess out of the Death Star the giant battle ship Leviathan. :love:

Story and characters don't improve much but get more tolerable after you can have fun in some pretty cool places and can use some cool weapons and spells :D

RiseToFall
01-26-2007, 02:50 AM
If your looking for an engaging storyline, this is not the right FF. However, if you want great gameplay, stick with it. You might like it more as time goes on.

Lexy
01-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Considering it's the best game of all time (yes, not only the past 30 years, but all time), yes, it is worth playing.

marysonnie
01-26-2007, 06:39 AM
The gameplay gets much, MUCH better. I actually enjoy playing with just Vaan, but when you've got a party of three (and gambits become available), the game really picks up. Stick with it.

Darth Anarcus
01-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Rescue Princess Lea a Princess out of the Death Star the giant battle ship Leviathan. :love:
Leia.;)

Yeah, I'd say definitely worth the effort, even though the main character is flat, boring, underdeveloped and we don't care about him one bit; and there are entirely too many sidequests. Other than that, the game's fun.

N8V_Tidus25
01-27-2007, 04:32 PM
KEEP PLAYING, I could run around the cerobi steppe all day.

rubah
01-27-2007, 06:31 PM
The first few hours are pretty dull yes, but it gets better, definitely when you start to get your full party.

marysonnie
01-27-2007, 06:53 PM
KEEP PLAYING, I could run around the cerobi steppe all day.Me too :)

I didn't think the first few hours were really that bad; the game just gets a lot more rewarding later on.

Roto13
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I thought the eye candy was enough to keep me going for the first few hours, and by the time the thrill of that had passed I was playing a solid game.

Dreddz
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Game picks up after the Leviathan in my opinion. Keep playing, as everyone has already said.

McLovin'
01-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I am glad that there are so many side quests. It makes the game much better and realistic.

Keep playing, you will like it.

Remon
01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
But of course this game is worth playing.All Final Fantsys are worth playing!
I personally began to like it when Penelo joined the party.She's so cute :love:

hplvr
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
hell yeah!!!!
the beginning is reallllly boring at first but it definatly gets better

SaucyBint
01-28-2007, 12:01 AM
I personally thought the Gambit system could've used a bit more work, but otherwise, as the others have said, things start to pick up once you have a full party.

Xurts
01-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Why does everyone think the beginning is boring? I thought it was just fine.

rubah
01-28-2007, 02:25 AM
for me, it was because I was impatient to get all the characters in myparty since I had heard of them all before

Ashley Schovitz
01-28-2007, 02:53 AM
The first few hours were fun for me, I got fustrated after that though, but delightfully fustrated.

chrisguapo69
01-28-2007, 03:23 AM
don't play the game. Definitely not worth it. I've finished the entire game including sidequests and everyboss imaginable. Now all I wish is that I could play this game again. When you finish the game, you'll only crave for more. Definitely not worth the suffering from waiting for the next sequel.

Aemilius Blight
01-31-2007, 01:55 AM
So far (28 hours in) the characters have been 2D, the story has been bland and uninteresting, the gameplay has been repetitive and the soundtrack screams "we were kind of hoping you would be focusing on the gameplay". Graphics are pretty...except for humes which look like they had textures applied to flat polygon models.

Um, the dialog is pretty good?

robfinalfantasy
01-31-2007, 02:01 AM
I enjoy it a lot and I'm a traditional FF fan. I find the chains and LP board quite addicting.

Renmiri
01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
So far (28 hours in) the characters have been 2D, the story has been bland and uninteresting, the gameplay has been repetitive and the soundtrack screams "we were kind of hoping you would be focusing on the gameplay". Graphics are pretty...except for humes which look like they had textures applied to flat polygon models.

Gameplay improves a lot with gambits and a party instead of Vaan alone. The scenery is also a lot less boring after Bhujerba.

Um, the dialog is pretty good?

Pretty lame dialog to me, for 98% of the game. It only improved on the next to last mission (Pharos tower).
But the new places, new espers and good graphics made up for it, kinda. It is worth playing it till the end IMHO. But not for story or dialog.

I enjoy it a lot and I'm a traditional FF fan. I find the chains and LP board quite addicting.
Chains are fun, LP board was fun but I completed it so fast it lost it's appeal. Hunts are addictive though :love:

hplvr
01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
the LP board is alright, but it reminds me of the sphere grid in 10
and the dialouge in the game sounds like the people who are talking have a helmet on, Penelo mainly

Aemilius Blight
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Gameplay improves a lot with gambits and a party instead of Vaan alone. The scenery is also a lot less boring after Bhujerba.
I have been playing the game for 28 (now around 30) hours. I'm significantly passed that point. I've just killed Judge Bergan, with one Quickening Chain no less.

I really don't have anything to complain about in relation to the scenery though. It has been mostly wonderful.

Pretty lame dialog to me, for 98% of the game. It only improved on the next to last mission (Pharos tower).
I meant more along the lines of most characters (especually the villains) being fairly articulate in how their deliver their monologues. I agree that there is very little substance to what they say.

and the dialouge in the game sounds like the people who are talking have a helmet on, Penelo mainly
I noticed this as well, especially towards the beginning when it was mostly just Vaan and Penelo. Most likely poor sound recording hardware/software.

James16
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
honestly dude, jus play but get into it all mentally an do diffrent things an leave the field of security use weak weapons make the gamer alot harder than it has to be

Omni-Odin
02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna go the other way on this one. Unless you want to finish it just to say that you have, go for it.

If not, then realize that this story is no where up to par with games like VI, VII, VIII, IX, or even X. I enjoyed playing X-2 more than this game. Seriously, if you don't like it now, it's not worth the hassle and unsatisfying story.

But this is just my opinion.

Bunny
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Nope. Avoid this game like the plague it is a horrible game and you should sell it to someone that you don't like.

Never give up! NEVER SURRENDER!

Roto13
02-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Hush. :P

If you're one of those people who plays games for stories because you're too lazy to read a book, this game isn't for you. ;)

Yliette
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm currently in the same rut as you are but I've willed to continue. I've gotten bored at the Ozmone Plains near the Garif Village and stopped there. Went to play Resident Evil 4. :D

But IMO FFXII is comparatively boring. It lacks character depth and you end up doing the same thing over and over and over again. Search for something, get captured, escape. Search for something, get captured, escape.

And Vaan and company probably won't be remembered as much as Cloud, Squall, Tidus and the previous FF protagonists. :mog:

Setzer Gabianni
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
This also betters some of the earlier FF's. It's massive, and has more going for it sidequest wise then X-2 and VII.

Renmiri
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
This also betters some of the earlier FF's. It's massive, and has more going for it sidequest wise then X-2 and VII.
You have a point, I found the side quests to be a lot more fun than the boring game plot. OTOH, the lame music and the weak characters gnawed my motivation to finish all the sidequests. :rolleyes2

McLovin'
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm currently in the same rut as you are but I've willed to continue. I've gotten bored at the Ozmone Plains near the Garif Village and stopped there. Went to play Resident Evil 4. :D

But IMO FFXII is comparatively boring. It lacks character depth and you end up doing the same thing over and over and over again. Search for something, get captured, escape. Search for something, get captured, escape.

And Vaan and company probably won't be remembered as much as Cloud, Squall, Tidus and the previous FF protagonists. :mog:

I'll always remember CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA!

Yliette
02-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Haha! While I'll remember Balthier. He's like a more comical version of Jack Sparrow.

Vaan is cool too. But he's not the central figure of the story. Ashe is since she's of course the sole heir to the throne and who practices the most political power in the party.

Yikes! Off topic! The main plot and lack of character depth and interaction may cure insomnia. Hunts and License Board are addictive. :love:

Setzer Gabianni
02-11-2007, 09:15 AM
You have a point, I found the side quests to be a lot more fun than the boring game plot. OTOH, the lame music and the weak characters gnawed my motivation to finish all the sidequests. :rolleyes2

What is so lame about the music dear :love:
Just because it isn't as memorable as some of the past ones, doesn't the mean the music was :skull::skull::skull::skull:. It fitted with the game, a lot of tracks were very beautiful. DON'T TELL ME YOU DONTLIKE CLASH ON THE BRIDGE/EMPIRES THEME :eek:

Pleeeeease tell me why the characters are so weak also :( - I found them, IMO, good ones - I would like to see an anti view, because everyone else I've seen on other forums never explain their views :cry:

Wolf Kanno
02-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Play this game, it has quite possible the greatest most cohesive world in the entire game. I didn't finish the game cause I wanted to know what happened, I literally wanted to save this beautiful and exotic world from being destroyed by a tyrant.

It's cast is good (just don't think of Vaan as the main character, since he really isn't. FFXII never had an official "main character" like FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX) you'll enjoy the story better and may end up liking him more. The story is good, but don't expect anything like this team's previous efforts. The music is completely fitting to the enviroments but don't be expecting to be humming them when you shut off the game.

The game gives as much as your willing to put in. The gambit system and Liscense Board are only as fun and as creative as the player. Try to experiment a little and don't just blast through the game to finish the story. You'll miss 90% of what this FF brings to us.

Also EXPLORE, this game has a massive world and alot of it is pretty much optional. Take time to look around and see the sights.

Renmiri
02-12-2007, 04:12 AM
What is so lame about the music dear :love:
Just because it isn't as memorable as some of the past ones, doesn't the mean the music was :skull::skull::skull::skull:. It fitted with the game, a lot of tracks were very beautiful. DON'T TELL ME YOU DONTLIKE CLASH ON THE BRIDGE/EMPIRES THEME :eek:

Pleeeeease tell me why the characters are so weak also :( - I found them, IMO, good ones - I would like to see an anti view, because everyone else I've seen on other forums never explain their views :cry:

FFXII music
A)It isn't very memorable
B)It is always the same. I like more variety after 100 hours playing a game. I love FFX's Hymn of the fayth but 100 hours of hymns would drive me bonkers!

Characters.
A) Cliche... C'mon how much more cliche can you get than Basch and Gabranth's plot ?
B) Cliche plot.. I've seen better re-telling of the Roman Empire's woes ;)
C) Not one of the characters is likable enough. I couldn't care for any of them enough to finish the game... I did it to say I completed the thing, but not to see any plot twist.
D) Very badly written... Vaan has to tell us he "wants to be a sky pirate to run away from the pain of his brother's death". Well DUH! God writers make you arrive at the same conclusion by more subtle means, instead of just telling you straight away. Like a bad actor has to say "I'm sad" or I'm angry" because he is incapable of acting sad or angry, the XII writers couldn't get him to look real enough to make us conclude stuff by ourselves so they spelld out every little bit of the plot. Ugh!!!!

Play this game, it has quite possible the greatest most cohesive world in the entire game.

Also EXPLORE, this game has a massive world and alot of it is pretty much optional. Take time to look around and see the sights.

Agreed. The world is awesome, the fiends look real, the battle system is fun, gameplay is enjoyable... That is what makes so mad at FFXII: the wasted potential! It could have been the very best for years to come, and Square goofed on stuff they know how to do with their eyes closed: character development, story telling and soundtrack. :(

N8V_Tidus25
02-12-2007, 04:25 AM
if you don't want your FFXII game, then give it to me

Renmiri
02-12-2007, 05:21 AM

:p What and have to stop b*tching ? :p

Nah... It's too much fun :D

Setzer Gabianni
02-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Some people do think it is the best since VII, and I believe them. All down to opinion I guess.

I also love bitching. Can we be bitching buddies Renmiri :D

Renmiri
02-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Sure!

You bitch about X and I'll bitch about XII :p

Wolf Kanno
02-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Sure!

But Remiri!:eek: I thought I was the only one allowed to bitch about FFX...
You've betrayed me:cry:

crazybayman
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
i have the game and it sits in its box. i payed like 60 bucks for the limited edition. i played this game for like 4 hours and it got boring. so the question is should i start playing it again?
Hell yeah.

If you've already bought it, at least play through past the point where you get the whole party together. It picks up quickly after you get everyone together. I personally love the hunts. The world of Ivalice is absolutely vast and incredible to explore.

However I agree with what many are saying on the characters - they're not that developed (at least so far). They all have their personalities, but they don't seem to focus in too much detail on each (or any one) individual.

But yeah, definitely give it a chance. Especially if you've went and spent 60 bones on it.

N8V_Tidus25
02-17-2007, 01:26 AM

:p What and have to stop b*tching ? :p

Nah... It's too much fun :D

i like b*tching too but i have no game to b*tch about, until I score another 50$ so i can buy ffxii cuz my last one couldnt handle my b*tching and it eventually broke.

Renmiri
02-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Sure!

But Remiri!:eek: I thought I was the only one allowed to bitch about FFX...
You've betrayed me:cry:

Ooops!

Sowee...

Invite a FFXII hater and we can make a foursome :tongue:

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm gonna go the other way on this one. Unless you want to finish it just to say that you have, go for it.

If not, then realize that this story is no where up to par with games like VI, VII, VIII, IX, or even X. I enjoyed playing X-2 more than this game. Seriously, if you don't like it now, it's not worth the hassle and unsatisfying story.

But this is just my opinion.

X-2 is the lamest Final Fantasy ever!