PDA

View Full Version : Slamming Poetry

rubah
01-26-2007, 04:36 AM
http://snowy-day.net/stuff/rubah%20-%20The%20Love%20Song%20of%20J.%20Alfred%20Prufrock.mp3

I don't speak Italian. I'm sorry.

I'm thinking of using some of my webspace to make a place where people can upload themselves reciting poetry. It'd be searchable and stuff I guess. Really I have space to use and I don't know of any services like this that currently exist.

That poem is very long. It took about 8 minutes to speak. We read it in class today again (we'd read it before) and my mind was filled with a song and the color deep red that you see when a candle is about to go out. The song just about put me in a trance. When my teacher stopped reading it to ask questions about it, I couldn't hardly think. I remembered the book by Robert Cormier, The Chocolate War and how the kid has a poster of a man on a beach with the phrase "Do I dare disturb the Universe?" and I couldn't shake the image of a sandy shore with a man with a low voice reading this poem with a guitar or some instrument (the song) soft in the background during a blood red sunset.

Have you ever had a surreal experience like this? It was eerie, captivating, and very profound. I am unsatisfied with myself for not having the proper voice to make the feeling come out or the aptitude to recreate the lyricness that I heard inside my head.

Relate

fire_of_avalon
01-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Your link is broken.

I feel that way about a lot of Robert Frost's stuff. I don't know whether to laugh or cry half the time. Cleopatra Mathis does the same thing to me.

rubah
01-26-2007, 04:47 AM
fix'd???

fire_of_avalon
01-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Yep. Also, if you might like Christina Rossini (I think that's her name. I have to look it up. Her brother was a painter named Gabriel).

EDIT: Rosetti! That's it.

On Tuesday I am going to see Billy Collins talk and read. I am excited about that. His poem Creatures is my sister to a tee.