PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix to use Unreal Engine 3

Odaisé Gaelach
01-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Final Fantasy Meets Gears of War
Square Enix to use Unreal Engine 3 for future titles.

January 25, 2007 - In the videogame equivalent of Angelina Jolie hooking up with Brad Pitt, Final Fantasy developer Square Enix will use Epic's Unreal Engine 3 for future next-gen and PC titles. Final Fantasy XIII, exclusive to PS3, is to be the last game to utilize Square's White Engine exclusively.

In an effort to ensure top-quality in its next-gen games, Square Enix is building a "combined technology platform." In a press release issued this morning, Square noted the new platform would be used "throughout the company, utilizing proprietary technologies as well as third-party solutions such as Unreal Engine 3."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/758/758364p1.html

Erdrick Holmes
01-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey Square, EA called, they want their buisness practices back.

Mirage
01-26-2007, 08:09 PM
What's wrong with using one of the best 3D engines out there? It saves them a lot of work, which means they can focus more on other parts of the games.

Renmiri
01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Awww... Does that mean we've seen the last of ATB ?

Odaisé Gaelach
01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Awww... Does that mean we've seen the last of ATB ?

...No...

Mirage
01-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Uh. Unreal Engine 3 is a graphics engine. This means it only affects graphics. Logical, no? The Unreal engines are known to be very good, so I don't see how this is a bad thing at all.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Uh. Unreal Engine 3 is a graphics engine. This means it only affects graphics. Logical, no? The Unreal engines are known to be very good, so I don't see how this is a bad thing at all.

Perhaps it'll be used for physics as well. Does the Unreal Engine 3 handle physics too?

RiseToFall
01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I thought they were using the 'white engine' for all their next gen games, why the change?

Mirage
01-26-2007, 08:33 PM
They probably found out they should leave graphics for those who specialize in them ;p.

JKTrix
01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/25/square-enix-licenses-unreal-engine-3/), apparently quoted from one of the S-E staff.

The complexity of next-generation game systems featuring HD graphics and multi-core parallel processing poses a number of technological challenges to our game development. However, we can expedite our game development process significantly while allowing extra time and resources to be spent on game design and mechanics by establishing an effective technology platform.

Slicksword45
01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I think they are still using the White engine for FFXIII

Shoeberto
01-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Judging by this thread's responses, people will probably be flipping out at this announcement. Not because it really means anything bad for the series, but because they don't actually know what's being talked about.

"What, Final Fantasy is going to become and FPS?! You suck, SE!"

Old Manus
01-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I think FPS Fantasy could take the series in a new, better direction.

Ashley Schovitz
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM

You're crazy after what happened with the TPS Dirge of Cerberus!

LunarWeaver
01-26-2007, 11:49 PM
If it gets me games faster, then all the more power to it.

Renmiri
01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I admit it, it freaked me out a bit. SE has had some weird decisions. X-2, the FFX after a planetload of Viagara got dumped on the ocean. Mickey and Auron join forces...

OTOH they made some good stuff. Advent Children was good and FFXII was decent enough.

I'll guess we will just have to wait and see.

Jowy
01-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Keep in mind, Dawn of Mana runs off the Havok engine and apparently it works rather well for them.

They'll find a way to execute it well, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time trying to do anything with it.

Nominus Experse
01-27-2007, 12:24 AM
You will all like it anyways

Necronopticous
01-27-2007, 12:48 AM
The new Unreal engine is amazing.

This is bad quality, but a good example of the kind of beautiful shading and lighting effects it is capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDXrAE7Ecg

For those of you unclear, the graphics engine does not have anything to do with the type of games that are made on said engine.

In short, this is great news.

ReloadPsi
01-27-2007, 04:14 AM

You're crazy after what happened with the TPS Dirge of Cerberus!
Sorry, did you want a THPS Dirge of Cerberus? That would be nasty.

Yew-Yevon
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM
The offset engine would be way better.
http://www.projectoffset.com/game.html

Mirage
01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
How do you know?

Yew-Yevon
01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Check the link and find out.

Croyles
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I know it has nothing to do with the gameplay, but does this mean that FF's future graphics will resemble Half-life more than say FFX or FFXII?

Mirage
01-27-2007, 07:10 PM
No. Even though it is a graphics engine used in FPS games, it does not mean they will be using the same textures 3D models, or viewpoints. The only way they'll "resemble" HL2 is that it is likely to have the same level of realism over it, when it comes to realistic shadows, reflections, and other effects.

And I did download a few videos off that site. I didn't find it dramatically better than HL2 or Unreal engine 3. Sure, it had a fantasy setting, but that can be done with UE3 too.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
The offset engine would be way better.
http://www.projectoffset.com/game.html

Ehhh... We'll have to see when Project Offset is released. The Unreal Engine 3 has already proven itself to be worthy in Gears of War. There's a lot of difference in seeing a bunch of screenshots or a video, and actually using the engine in a game.

Renmiri
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
We called it "Slideware" or "Powerpointware" in my time. Stuff that only exists in vendor demos :D

RiseToFall
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I know this is a little off topic. But I'm more excited to see what developers can do with Cryteks CryENGINE2. So far, their own game Crysis, looks amazing.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I know this is a little off topic. But I'm more excited to see what developers can do with Cryteks CryENGINE2. So far, their own game Crysis, looks amazing.

But until we actually see the game in action itself, we won't know what the engine's really capable of.

Slothy
02-01-2007, 02:33 AM
I expected stuff like this with the current gen to be honest. Back when people were first started going on about development costs sky rocketing on the 360 and PS3 I knew more companies would start licensing technology, including big names. It only makes sense to use proven, versatile game engines to help companies create. A licensing fee is a lot cheaper than developing an engine from scratch these days, and if it leads to lower costs for developers, as well as faster development time, that's something we can all be happy about.

On a side note, I think quite a few companies are using the Unreal Engine 3 now. I saw a list of them somewhere, but I can't recall where at the moment. I believe there were some rather impressive names on it though.