PDA

View Full Version : Singing...

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-27-2007, 07:32 AM
If one practices over a course of a couple weeks or months, will he or she get better in terms of the quality of the voice, or does it remain the same aside from minor changes??

Also, what's some good ways to help warm up your voice, or just help it esculate to a better level in general?

blackmage_nuke
01-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Im not an expert or a professional but drinking water helps me, also i dont think a couple of months wouldnt work (unless you took lessons or something) but a few many months would probably improve it if you practice right

-

Yeargdribble
01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Well the old cliché "practice makes perfect" isn't quite true. If you practice badly, you will get worse... or at best, improve how well you perform badly.

I'm not sure how much musical background you have so it's hard to help you out in that way. I generally do vocalises to warm up my voice. Doing arpeggiated exercises while practicing different vowels helps. You should perhaps do a I V I or I IV V I pattern repetitively in increasingly higher and lower keys to work on solidifying your voice in the vocal extremes as well as increasing your range.

If you want to PM me about some stuff and give me a better idea of what you are trying to achieve and your musical background I can probably give more accurate advice for what you want personally.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks, I'll PM you tomorrow, I'm pretty tired right now, about to pass out.

Rye
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
If one practices over a course of a couple weeks or months, will he or she get better in terms of the quality of the voice, or does it remain the same aside from minor changes??

Also, what's some good ways to help warm up your voice, or just help it esculate to a better level in general?

It depends. You really need to have a professional give you exercises to make you improve. You can't just randomly sing to get better.

There are a few really great exercises where I slide from really high up in my range to very low into my range that helps with the opera I singing that my singing lesson's teacher taught me, but it'd be really difficult to describe it, so sorry. But I'd definitely try to find an instructor. :]

Christmas
01-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I CAN TEACH YOU IF YOU WANT!!!!

Dr Aum
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
From what I've found, the only thing that daily practice in itself helps much is range, which too can shrink back down if you go weeks without practice. And yes, ALWAYS warm up starting low, doing the equivalent of long tones if you play a wind instrument, then moving up the scale on arpeggios. Unfortunately diction exercises don't seem to have any long term effects, not to say that you shouldn't do them before performing.

In general, I'd suggest you get a private teacher, especially if at this point you're just muddling through some of the big elements of vocal performance: proper breathing, appropriate vibrato, slur control, &c.

Miss_Lulu
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
before i start singing any songs, my choir instructer always makes us say our vowels and hold them out.
she also makes us go up and down the scale on our numbers from 1 to 8.
each time you go up a number you go up a pitch.
that really helps me.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
It's nothing big, I'm just trying to improve my voice a little for this screamo band (hah), similar to that of the lead singers in Emery.

I practiced on and off a couple months back and seemed to slowly get better over time, but idk.

Thanks for the info all.

louby_4eva
01-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I've been singing for years now, I read somewhere that practise makes perfect, but I don't sound very good at all. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Yeargdribble
01-27-2007, 11:08 PM
before i start singing any songs, my choir instructer always makes us say our vowels and hold them out.
she also makes us go up and down the scale on our numbers from 1 to 8.
each time you go up a number you go up a pitch.
that really helps me.

Wow, that sound risky. Especially considering pronunciation of the numbers... just complicates things. Solfege or vowel sounds would be safer and instruct good vowel shapes on long notes.

Giga Guess
01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I CAN TEACH YOU IF YOU WANT!!!!

That...frightens me a little.

Hambone
01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't sing.

- - - TAURUS - - -
02-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Bump