PDA

View Full Version : You Know....I've Always Wondered...

Gullick
01-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I've always wondered how the clocks on PCs can keep the right time when the power is switched off...It doesnt seem to make sense, it must need some kind of power source other wise the only way it could do it is to try to save the time when it was switched off and try to add the time that it was actually off for...but how would it know?

But anyhoo, now for the topic of the thread, is there anything that you've always wondered about the world and no matter how many angles you look at it, you still cant figure it out?

-Gull-

Christmas
01-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Why won't NANNY MANUS die? :(

Renmiri
01-27-2007, 12:10 PM
PC clocks have a tiny battery on them.

Incidentally, that battery lasts as long as 3-4 years but it does go out and it makes the PC lose not only the time but also other info such as Hard Drive type and video board settings. That makes old PCs hard / impossible to boot sometimes

Bunny
01-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Why do so many people put such great faith in something that they have no proof exists one way or the other?

Ooooh, I'm gonna get responses to that one!

Give it to me, babies.

Rye
01-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Why do so many people put such great faith in something that they have no proof exists one way or the other?

Exaaaactly!

Captain Maxx Power
01-27-2007, 02:47 PM

You know what, you're right. How do I know this air business exsists? I may as well stop breathing since I can't prove it's there. While I'm on it, what about this eating malarkey? Can't say I've tried not eating for long periods of time. Who says I'd die anyway? The Man? The Man sucks! I hate the Man! No more soldiers in Iraq! Follow the Kyoto Treaty! Soya-powered everything! Liberal hippy comments!

Bunny
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM

You know what, you're right. How do I know this air business exsists? I may as well stop breathing since I can't prove it's there. While I'm on it, what about this eating malarkey? Can't say I've tried not eating for long periods of time. Who says I'd die anyway? The Man? The Man sucks! I hate the Man! No more soldiers in Iraq! Follow the Kyoto Treaty! Soya-powered everything! Liberal hippy comments!

I assure you, it has been proven that air exists and not eating for long periods of time can kill you. Alternatively, are you trying to respond with blatant idiotic remarks or does it just occur naturally for you?

fire_of_avalon
01-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Bunny, that's not okay to say, and you know it. I think Maxx was probably joking anyways. If not, it's better to ignore him than to be a meanie bo beanie.

Jowy
01-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I present the classic Animaniacs question:

Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten, yet hot dog buns only appear in packs of eight?

Rocket Edge
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
How do they get the fig in the fig-roll?

Bunny
01-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Bunny, that's not okay to say, and you know it. I think Maxx was probably joking anyways. If not, it's better to ignore him than to be a meanie bo beanie.

Yes ma'am :(

Sorry Maxxie.

Another question: What is up with the sound on this program. It keeps skipping on my movie and it won't sync up! Whhhhy?

Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten, yet hot dog buns only appear in packs of eight?

Because cold hot dogs are delicious. Eight hot with bun, two cold without bun. Mmmm.

No.78
01-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I've always wondered how the clocks on PCs can keep the right time when the power is switched off...It doesnt seem to make sense, it must need some kind of power source other wise the only way it could do it is to try to save the time when it was switched off and try to add the time that it was actually off for...but how would it know?

But anyhoo, now for the topic of the thread, is there anything that you've always wondered about the world and no matter how many angles you look at it, you still cant figure it out?

-Gull-

Magic of course

I Took the Red Pill
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Do nudists have pin-ups of people with clothes on?

No.78
01-27-2007, 05:18 PM
No, they have pinups of people with skin missing.

Levian
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Japan & Balsam. Not together, though.

Dr Aum
01-27-2007, 05:56 PM

-Gull-

Magic of course

Time Mages have to be useful for something other than Quick and Haste, after all.

XxSephirothxX
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
How can onions be so disgustingly slimy and crunchy at the same time?
Why do Hebrew National hot dogs come in packs of seven, and yet hot dog buns STILL come in packs of 8? :mad2:
Are French Canadians more French, or more Canadian? I have a friend who just won't let go of this one.

LunarWeaver
01-27-2007, 06:03 PM
If a person was born completely, 100% deaf, what would their thinking voice sound like? William Shatner.

Why does Uwe Boll keep making movies?

Why do I go into Eyes on Each Other?

I can't even sleep at night with all this burdening my mind.

rubah
01-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Why Does the Sun Shine?

Owen Macwere
01-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Why humans exist?.

Mirage
01-27-2007, 06:42 PM
PC clocks have a tiny battery on them.

Incidentally, that battery lasts as long as 3-4 years but it does go out and it makes the PC lose not only the time but also other info such as Hard Drive type and video board settings. That makes old PCs hard / impossible to boot sometimes
Almost correct :p. The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) has a tiny battery connected to them, which stores all sorts of settings. This includes the time and date, and also a lot of other settings.

The BIOS can forget such things if the battery is getting too weak, but it doesn't really matter, because it'll autodetect cpu and hard drive types at startup anyway. How do you think it figured it out the very first time the PC was turned on? :p. For video card settings, that's pretty irrelevant, because the BIOS (and other things running before the OS has booted) uses VGA mode anyway, which every video card and monitor can display.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
What sex feels like as a woman

Mr. Graves
01-28-2007, 01:40 AM
I present the classic Animaniacs question:

Funny, I remember that from the movie Bulletproof Monk. xD

Anyway, I have wondered how humans came about, but I got lazy and stopped since other will wonder the same thing.

Markus. D
01-28-2007, 01:59 AM
theres an Internal Battery. sort of like the Gameboys.

Araciel
01-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten, yet hot dog buns only appear in packs of eight?Because cold hot dogs are delicious. Eight hot with bun, two cold without bun. Mmmm.

actually i think it has something to do with marketing....an odd number means you have to constantly buy more, unless you buy in bulk 8 packs of hot dogs and 10 bags of buns.

HIJACK HIJACK HIJACK

heheheh

i never questioned how my computer kept time...but i'm like that about most things, don't ask cause more often than not you didn't need to know anyway

JAVIER
01-28-2007, 03:34 AM
When ever I tihnk of something that can not be because of the world, I know this is God, and God is every things. God is always here and there and he is around us. Computer clocks keep time, this is small, this doesn't matter, but the big world, this is what matters, and all is God.

If you have any question about God, please send me private massage