PDA

View Full Version : Sending files over IRC

starseeker
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM
I've been having difficulty sending files over IRC with one of my computers. The odd thing is that I can receive files on this computer and send and receive with my other computer on the same internet connection. Can anyone help me sort out how to send files using this computer?

Jowy
01-27-2007, 04:12 PM
What are your DCC ports configured at? Are you behind a router or firewall?

Mirage
01-27-2007, 04:21 PM
You need to forward ports to each of your computers, and then set mIRC to use the ports forwarded to the computer mIRC is installed on.

To forward ports, consult your router's user manual (as I don't even know what kind of router you have). To make mIRC only use certain ports (those you've forwarded), go to "IRC Options -> Connect -> Options -> Advanced", then set the port range to the port range you forwarded to that particular computer.

If you can send from one PC but not the other, then the router is either configured to forward ports to one of your computers already, or the computer that can send is in fact set up to be the router, and has a direct Internet connection.

starseeker
01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
You need to forward ports to each of your computers, and then set mIRC to use the ports forwarded to the computer mIRC is installed on.

To forward ports, consult your router's user manual (as I don't even know what kind of router you have). To make mIRC only use certain ports (those you've forwarded), go to "IRC Options -> Connect -> Options -> Advanced", then set the port range to the port range you forwarded to that particular computer.

If you can send from one PC but not the other, then the router is either configured to forward ports to one of your computers already, or the computer that can send is in fact set up to be the router, and has a direct Internet connection.

I think my router is probably a WebStar cable modem (can't find the manual). The computer that can send over IRC is on the wireless connection, whereas the computer that can't is directly connected to the router.
How the hell do I forward ports?

rubah
01-27-2007, 06:03 PM
If port forwarding fails for you, and you only need to send to the people who are able to send to you, use an IRC client that is capable of passive dcc, such as the latest version of mIRC, and enable passive dcc.

Mirage
01-27-2007, 06:10 PM
That still requires the receiver to have a DCC server running, which not everyone has, or is able to run.

rubah
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
It just requires that the receiver is able to send.

Mirage
01-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I'd like some more information about that.

crono_logical
01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
It just requires that the receiver is able to send.No. Very bad misconception :D Also, poor choice word - why is the "receiver" "send"ing? :p It's possible to have 3 machines, A B and C, such that A and B are able to send to C, yet A and B cannot send to each other.

It's all down to at least one side of the transfer either having ports forwarded if they're behind a router that does NAT, or they're directly on the Internet with a valid IP address. If at least one side fulfills this, then some sort of DCC will always work, either normal or passive.

Also, passive DCC does not require the receiver to be running a DCC server. Passive DCC will work if the receiver has ports forwarded correctly or is directly connectable (as in the previous paragraph) - the port used is chosen dynamically at the receiver end, so there's no need to have the DCC server running on either end. DCC server is actually a less flexible workaround for pre-passive DCC days :p

rubah
01-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Passive DCC will work if the receiver has ports forwarded correctly or is directly connectable (as in the previous paragraph) - the port used is chosen dynamically at the receiver end, so there's no need to have the DCC server running on either end.

That was what I was saying in my quaint little way.

starseeker
01-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Based on a conversation I had with Mirage in chat last night, I've decided that getting IRC to work on this computer is not worth the effort.
The router I have is made by Webstar but it came as part of the broadband package and I think it was installed by a pro so there is no manual and no sign of a how to install it guide on the internet. As a result I have no clue what ports it uses.
It's probably easier just to lug the external downstairs to the computer that can send. Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Christmas
08-29-2022, 01:54 PM
I rmb I visited chat in IRC once and the folks there called me a Christmas imposter. :gator:

Mr Gashtacular
08-29-2022, 05:51 PM
u should visit the discord so we can call u a christmas impostor

Christmas
08-30-2022, 09:43 AM
I wanna be a Parker Imposter. :monster: