PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Virus

Odaisé Gaelach
01-27-2007, 04:24 PM
So I'm in the cockpit of a Bombardier CRJ700 making my final approach into Heathrow. I'm about ten miles away from the airport, the flaps are at 45, my speed is around 150-160 knots, and I'm gently banking and lining-up with the centre of the runway. Everything is good.

I'm playing Flight Simulator X, in case you're wondering.

Now the computer I'm using isn't my normal computer. It isn't too bad, but it isn't too brilliant either. But it's smooth enough for Flight Simulator, which is what you want.

Suddenly, just as I'm just aligned with the runway, the frame rate drops horribly to what I guess is about 10 FPS. Not good when you're flying a plane. I can't react as quickly to the plane's descent as I need to, and I end up touching down short of the runway. After flying for half-an-hour, I mess up my landing just because of the computer slowing down.

And what caused the slow down? McAfee decided, just at that moment and without asking me, that it would do a full scan of the computer. Son of a glitch.

No, I don't want to renew my subscription. No, I don't want to do a full scan right now. No, I don't care if you've been disabled. No, I don't care if 1 item is currently affecting my status. Just get the smurf off my computer!

*takes deep breath*

So what anti-virus program do you use? I don't use any. :)

theundeadhero
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
They're all just as annoying. I use AVG.

Mirage
01-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't run automated scans. I run a manual scan once a month, just to be informed that I have 0 infections. As usual.

Jowy
01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Norton found it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to pop up when I was soloing Doppelganger, thus making me get smacked with Hammer Fall and killing me.

I use Norton.

Christmas
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Nothing protect you from the MANUS virus. :(

Rye
01-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Trend Micro Antivirus. They gave it to us with my laptop, works pretty decently.

XxSephirothxX
01-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I use AVG Free, but since it's about to become AVG Not So Free, I'll probably either switch to a pirated copy of AVG or maybe try Avast. I think I have it set to auto-scan really early in the morning, and I have enough ram that it doesn't really cause me any problems anyway.

I hate Norton with a passion, as that's what my dad had on our old family computer, and it failed to clean up some :skull::skull::skull::skull: that Panda's free online scan was able to get rid of. It never seemed to stop us from getting any viruses at all.

Levian
01-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm using McAfee too, but it haven't given me too much trouble, yet. The random scans have all come at convenient times so far.

I had F-Secure anti virus on my last laptop, though. But it didn't have an internet connection at that time, and it kept whining it needed to update every time I turned it on. Grr. And when I did get a connection it blocked all sites with bad words in them (like Kyono & Rye's LJ), that stupid little babysitter. And my password was 500 miles away, so yeah. Luckily my mom found it. What a whore. (The anti-virus, not my mom.)

Chloe.
01-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I use Norton.

Nominus Experse
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
I use AVG Free, with a scheduled run performed every day while I am at work.

I couple this defense with a Zonelabs ZoneAlarm Firewall, ewido, Spyware Blaster, and Spybot, all run automatically while I am at work, so when I come home, I am given audience to another barrage of messages telling me I am completely malware free.

And then I pirate the internet once more.

rubah
01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
AVG has the advantage of not costing money and not being very intrusive

RiseToFall
01-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Norton does that to me all the time.

escobert
01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
PC tools anti virus.

Old Manus
01-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Norton failed at being an Anti-Virus program. F-Secure wins.

PS. (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:G7mFuWuR3roJ:www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_slows_windows_down/3+http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/what_slows_windows_down/&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1)

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM
AVG, though I had McAfee before. It came with my laptop but expired. Both worked well with me. As for firewalls, I use Filseclab Personal Firewall. It works good, though sometimes when I restart my computer and the icon does not appear, it will not let Azureus run properly, so I have to stop the process and restart it. That and when I was doing Limewire updates it was barraging me with permission thingers.

escobert
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Azureus is evil. Use U torrent

Leeza
01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I use AVG Free, but if, as Azar says, that it won't be so free anymore then I don't know what I'll be using. Maybe I'll just have to pay for it because it seems to do a great job. I also run Spybot and Adware once in a while.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Azureus is evil. Use U torrent

When Azureus was not working I used mu-torrent, though I switched back to Azureus as soon as I got it working again.

escobert
01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
U torrent uses less then 10% the resources that Azuresu used on my computer, also it's not screwing my internet up like Az did.

rubah
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
AVG is going to be free, they just won't release updated definitions for 7.1, I think?

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 18th of Feb 2007

way to not read azzie:mad2:

Polaris
01-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm using McAfee:eep:

krissy
01-27-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah avg free's what i got. i dont think they're gonna just drop the free thing? i really don't know, but it still keeps updating itself for me.

crono_logical
01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Whoever's spreading the rumours AVG will no longer be free needs to provide a source for their claim instead of being moronic :p As rubah said, try to learn to read :p

Xaven
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I had AVG 7.0 (the commercial version, I believe) until its license expired a month or two ago. Since then, I haven't had any antivirus, though I did run Spybot and Ad-Aware pretty often.

This thread has prompted me to get AVG 7.5 Free. It's funny because I thought I used to have AVG Free until I just checked. Then I remembered my dad gave it to me and it was probably from his corporation. :D We'll see how AVG 7.5 compares to my expensive, fancy, rich-people AVG. :o

JAVIER
01-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree, I am anti virus also!!!

Kyri
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree, I am anti virus also!!!

LOL

Yamaneko
01-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't use anti-virus. Just get a good hardware firewall or router and open only the ports you need. If you download malicious software and install it then it's your own fault.

Momiji
01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Norton found it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to pop up when I was soloing Doppelganger, thus making me get smacked with Hammer Fall and killing me.

I use Norton.

I didn't know Doppelganger could use Hammer Fall.

I use either McAfee, or Norton. I don't like either, but it's what my parents use.

o_O
01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't use any. You have to try pretty hard to install a virus on Linux.

Meat Puppet
01-28-2007, 05:12 AM
I’d been using AVG Free for several years, but I recently upgraded to the Professional Edition, because having the word “Professional” in my software makes me feel like a Real Man.

escobert
01-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Meat, that's not all you need to be a real man I'm afraid.

Owen Macwere
01-28-2007, 06:39 AM
I used to use Norton, in my other computer I have Norton and it is great.
I use Norton too with my Laptop, but it stopped now, it needs registry and I am so dumb to continue it. :D
In my internet desktop I use Avast, it is a small program that doesn't work Automatically. it never protect me online but it detects viruses fairly well when I run the scan. It is doing the job.