PDA

View Full Version : great idea for KHIII

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Don't know if someone other than me thought of this, but how many of you would like KHIII to go to Studio Ghibli worlds instead of Disney worlds? I think that would be a great idea. Think about it, Nausicaa or Ash'taka as a playable character? Explore the Spirit World of Spirited Away or the Castle in the Sky? Does this sound like a really great idea for the future of KH or not?

vorpal blade
01-28-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm not too familiar with their work, but I have seen a few of their things and i think that would be great. I wanna summon Totoro!

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Lets say you're in the forest in Princess Mononoke. You could summon kodomos to either cure you or something generic like that, or to help you in the forest area where's it's very expansive and it's very hard to find your way w/o them.

Or, maybe you can summon No Face from Spirited Away. He would of course eat the Heartless you encounter.

How do we all go write Square Enix about this? I really want them to do this. I went to their American website and it looks like there's only options to write them about help in a game or something.

Fynn
01-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but think about it. If it weren't for Disney, there wouldn't be a Kingdom Hearts. Disney was put in it to attract people who don't normally play RPGs to it. Well, to be blunt, Disney is more popular on the western side of the world (Ghibli is not all that popular in Europe). It's a nice idea, but it won't work. But I have nothing against them putting a Ghibli world in it, but never instead of Disney (who could get rid of Donald and Goofy:cry:).

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, it's already been revealed that they're going to use totally new characters or something. They already used up a lot of Disney and will have to start picking obscure stuff, so I don't know how they can keep making Disney based worlds.

And by the way, Studio Ghibli is sort of popular in the US. See, Disney has an agreement with Pixar, and Pixar has an agreement with Studio Ghibli to distribute titles. So, it could also make sense to put both Disney and Studio Ghibli worlds in the same game, although do you have any suggestions as to new Disney worlds? I think they've used up all the popular ones.

Also, if you played KH b/c of Disney, well, by the time KHIII comes out, you probably will be a teenager, and so you won't play it for Disney but maybe for the FF characters or for the KH series itself. And it looks like the more mature look of KHIII has already been established by the look of the characters, unless they change that. Unfortunately they do remind me of power rangers, which I don't think is good, haha.

Fynn
01-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I started playing KH when I already was a teenager and it was because of both Disney and FF, since I love them both and found the combination wonderful. Besides, Disney is a really big company and has a lot of very faithful followers, so SE's breaking the contract with them would be... dumb - like someone killing his own gold-egg-laying hen.
Just because the Secret movie is so dark doesn't mean the game won't have Disney characters anymore. Take a look at "Another Side". It was dark, but KHII had as much Disney as the first one did.
You have a point - there is a connection, and I'm not saying there will not be any Ghibli stuff, but they won't place it instead of Disney. KH is not KH without Disney. Face it. And by new characters, I think they meant new original characters (no more Sora & Co.). Giving up on Disney could be a financial catasrophe.
New world examples? OK: Pocahontas, Sleeping Beauty, Lilo & Stitch, The Sword in the Stone, Ckicken Little, A Bug's Life, and I could go on. Don't forget that Disney continues making movies.

Summoner
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Having Disney characters without Sora present would feel weird, because he'd very likely be mentioned time and time again throughout the game. So I'm thinking maybe they will use characters they didn't use before, since KHIII isn't really about him. (This is all assuming that it takes place in the future.)
Assuming it takes place in the past, well, some of the Disney characters wouldn't even be around. And I personally think it takes place in the past, so why not use Studio Ghibli characters? I've seen some of their work, and it looks pretty good. It may actually fit better in KH3 since, even though it was mentioned before that we can't assume it's dark because of the trailer, it's a Keyblade war, right? If so, then it will most likely be a bit darker than KH2 was. So to have Tarzan swing from the trees and kill *insert enemies here* without Sora right behind him would seem out of place, since Sora's one of KH's trademarks. Or maybe that's just me.
I was thinking, before reading this, that they might use Pixar characters, really. And now that I think about it, has it even been confirmed that the 3 characters we saw in the trailer will be the main, playable characters? Just because they have Keyblades doesn't mean anything. They could die for all we know, and they Keyblade could go to someone else.
So, either was you put it, using Studio Ghibli characters seems justifiable. I think I could live with that. :p

McLovin'
01-28-2007, 08:39 PM
If it is not Disney Worlds and instead anime worlds and such then Square will get sued.

Fynn
01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
If it is not Disney Worlds and instead anime worlds and such then Square will get sued.

Agreed. That's just the point I was trying to make.

Fonzie
01-28-2007, 11:50 PM
No

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Yes, they'd have to make a deal with Studio Ghibli to make it happen w/o getting sued. Well, they could do both Disney and Studio Ghibli. Or, leave KH with Disney and do something similar with a different series, but instead of Disney have that be Studio Ghibli related.

I mean, come on. Who here has seen Spirited Away? If that was a world on the PS3 and they made it as expansive as the movie, man, they could make such a good game.

Fynn
01-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Now this idea I like. :D I have nothing against a Square game with Ghibli worlds and characters, or even Ghibli in KH alongside Disney. But SE can never replace Disney with Ghibli.

Rostum
01-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, it's already been revealed that they're going to use totally new characters or something. They already used up a lot of Disney and will have to start picking obscure stuff, so I don't know how they can keep making Disney based worlds.

No, there's still pleanty of other Disney stuff to put in.

And by the way, Studio Ghibli is sort of popular in the US. See, Disney has an agreement with Pixar, and Pixar has an agreement with Studio Ghibli to distribute titles. So, it could also make sense to put both Disney and Studio Ghibli worlds in the same game, although do you have any suggestions as to new Disney worlds? I think they've used up all the popular ones.

The US does not equal the world, why don't a lot of American's realise that? Also, Pixar aren't in the KH games, only Disney. Pixar had always refused to be apart of it.

Edit: Though I think Disney may have bought out Pixar recently? Either way, that doesn't mean they're tied to Ghibli.

Also, if you played KH b/c of Disney, well, by the time KHIII comes out, you probably will be a teenager, and so you won't play it for Disney but maybe for the FF characters or for the KH series itself. And it looks like the more mature look of KHIII has already been established by the look of the characters, unless they change that. Unfortunately they do remind me of power rangers, which I don't think is good, haha.

I'm 20, and I enjoy playing KH with all the Disney world and characters (as well as many many other people my age). It's very nostalgic, as people our age grew up with the famous (and imo, better than today's standards) cartoons. Age has nothing to do with it.

Also, you saw a very short secret clip. How can you possibly say what they've established with KHIII? When they made that secret ending, they hadn't planned to make a third installment yet.

In conclusion, I don't mind the idea of a new company coming into play, but I don't think it should incorporate anime. If anything, they should add Pixar into it. Either way, Disney should stay, there's pleanty more to be explored.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Of course I realise US isn't the world. Ok, maybe it won't be so successful in Europe; they can buy it b/c it would (hopefully) be a good RPG, and then they might get into Studio Ghibli, and Studio Ghibli can start thinking about having their movies distributed in Europe more. Of course, in Japan, Studio Ghibli is rather popular, I would guess. Oceania is the only other main area that plays video games, right? Well, hopefully Studio Ghibli is popular there!

Yep, Disney can stay if there's more to be explored. I don't care that there's Disney characters in it. It's sort of opened my mind to it. One I grew up with was Sword in the Stone, however I think some worlds were destroyed, weren't they? Or, were they fixed after you beat Xehanort?

Also, Hayao Miyazaki has been called the Walt Disney of Japan, so I think it would make sense to have his works in the game, if he wants to.

vorpal blade
01-30-2007, 07:14 AM
From Wikipedia: Tokuma is the parent company of Studio Ghibli, and has provided Disney with the video rights to eight of the films and global distribution rights to Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

So are "video rights" jhust for videos and movies and such, or would Disney be allowed to put them in a KH game if they wanted?

jaxun
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
how about CAPCOM[Devil May Cry/Onimusha/Street Fighter] and SQUARE ENIX

Summoner
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
how about CAPCOM[Devil May Cry/Onimusha/Street Fighter] and SQUARE ENIX

First thing I thought of when you said Capcom was having Resident Evil characters in Kingdom Hearts. A very stupid thought, I know. :eep: But wouldn't Devil May Cry and Onimusha be a bit too "up there" for a KH game? The ESRB rating alone would make a lot of fans scream if they saw it in KH.

Prancing Mad
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
so everyone knows, I believe pixar is no longer in cahoots with disney, therefore no ghibli for disney. But yeah, I don't like that many disney worlds, especially in the games. There are exceptions but tarzan eww, aladdin, enough of that! Neverland needs less pirate ship. But Tron was extremely wicked and so was timeless river. Beauty and the beast was good too. But spirited away would be great. Fight monsters in the bathhouse YEAH

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope they don't do Capcom since I'm not into them. Now, if they did more Nintendo stuff, that would be cool. I love Super Mario RPG. So, if they did something else like that, that'd be cool. One world would be the mushroom kingdom, next would be Hyrule. Although, that would probably work better not as a KH game, but as, you know, one game with one franchise. I think the Studio Ghibli characters and worlds in a KH game would be a great move.

I think it would sort of go with the trend of worlds. In the first KH, the worlds were mostly lighthearted, but in the 2nd KH, the worlds sort of averaged out to be middle-hearted if that's a word. Like the Pirates of the Carribean world wasn't like the Little Mermaid world, probably the only really lighthearted world in the game. Studio Ghibli worlds would follow that trend more or less.