PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Ed

Rye
01-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I start Driver's Ed this week, I believe, if I got into the program! Which I think I did, because I was really fast and submitted the forms as soon as they were in the office! I'm really excited, even though I won't be learning much besides parking and a few other tips, since I've been driving for about six months already. It's crazy to think about how much progress I made, from being scared to drive in small two way streets, to driving on the highway in general comfort (except when those crazies start to cut you off switch and lanes like it's going out of style, they scare me!!! >:[ )

Anyway, tell me about your experiences in Driver's Ed when you took it, so I know what kind of stuff to expect. :] In my school, we don't get to pick the people who drive in our car with us, so I'm nervous I'll end up with some freaky-deeks. :p

Necronopticous
01-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I took Driver's Education in high school, but that was just a class to learn the rules of the road and such, there was no driving involved. It helped me pass the written test, but was generally a waste. I can't really say much about the actual driving instruction, although since you said you have already been driving for 6 months (!) I would say that you probably don't need it. Couldn't hurt, though. Maybe you'll have fun and learn a thing or two.

escobert
01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I took drivers ed with the second hardest drivers ed teacher in the country. Seriously. He helped write the friggen drivers ed book. We had to have a 100% perfect notebook to pass. No matter how good a driver you were you HAD to have a perfect note this means, everything he said EVERY day of class, a 100 on every homework, a 70% or better on every test and so much other crap. I had one of those big binders and it was packed full. He is insane.

Levian
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't know how Driver's Ed is other places, but in Norway we have an obligatory theoretical course (since 2005) before we're allowed to drive. It was horrible. They compared traffic to ants and soccer, 'cause they apparantly have their own little system of moving around and interacting. Yes, awful. It was pre-school all over again. We didn't really do much, she just talked about various problems etc, and then we ended the course with first aid. I'm a terrible driver, btw. Watch out, pedestrians.

Bunny
01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
I paid a dude to let me drive his corvette and then I almost crashed it into a bus.

Rye
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I took Driver's Education in high school, but that was just a class to learn the rules of the road and such, there was no driving involved. It helped me pass the written test, but was generally a waste. I can't really say much about the actual driving instruction, although since you said you have already been driving for 6 months (!) I would say that you probably don't need it. Couldn't hurt, though. Maybe you'll have fun and learn a thing or two.

In Driver's Ed here, we have to go twice a week. Once to lectures, which is the rules of the road, and once to the driving course. I put them both to be back to back on saturday mornings, so I'll never sleep in late on Saturdays again for a while. :[

But we actually have to do the written test and get our permits before Driver's Ed, so it's crazy how it's different from California! For the written test here, we just pick up the rules of the road book, which you hardly need to read, because the test is really easy, but I read it anyway. I only got two wrong. :]

RiseToFall
01-28-2007, 06:48 PM
The lady who was my driving instructor decided to do some errands while trying to teach me to drive at the same time. We ended up going to her house so she could pick up her mail. Then we went to the bank because she needed to make some deposits or something. After that, it was the library so she can return her books. It was ridiculous, but at least I learned how to drive. But deep down inside, I just felt so....used.

Christmas
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
My goal is to drive a bulldozer and run NANNY MANUS over with it. :bigsmile:

Xaven
01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm doing Driver's Ed. online. Uh, tomorrow I'll be 15 and a half, so I'll be able to get my permit right after the class and stuff. Gah, I must make sure I have my license by late-mid-August when school starts again.

Diver's Ed isn't offered at my high school anymore. ;__;

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
i took drivers ed on tuesdays and thursdays after school for 2 hours for about 2 months, they were very boring. i think itll save my life someday though, least the discount you get after graduation was worth it.

Fonzie
01-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Ha, I get my permit wensday. I've been taking Driver's Ed for about 2 weeks now. Pretty easy.

o_O
01-29-2007, 12:06 AM
There's no such thing as driver's ed in New Zealand. How you learn to drive is up to you, as long as you don't drive by yourself.

I learnt to drive in a 1975 column shift Mitsubishi Mighty Max on the orchid I was working at at the time. That experience served no purpose to driving real cars properly.

Yuffie514
01-29-2007, 05:30 AM
i took a class for one semester as one of the school requirements. basically, i had to learn about the rules and practice on simulators like once or twice a week. for the "field exam" i paid for a two-week course, separately. for the most part it was easy except that i had parking and left turns to work on.

Yamaneko
01-29-2007, 05:37 AM
Never took driver's ed or driver's training. I got my permit when I was seventeen and a half and then my license when I turned eighteen. I never saw the big deal in trying to get your license before then. I had friends who could drive so if I needed to go anywhere I would just ask them. Driving quickly becomes a chore.

Samuraid
01-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Driver's Ed was mostly boring. We pretty much just sat around and went over the driver's handbook thing, then watched driver videos such as "Red Asphault 3" (now with even worse acting than Red Asphault 2!). All in all though, it was ok. The driver's training sessions were a lot more fun and I learned much more by actually driving the car and listening to the instructor.

Behold the Void
01-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Drivers Ed for me consisted of two parts.

Part 1, which was most of it, was infuriatingly annoying busywork that you HAD to do but was a pain in the ass to do.

Part 2, which encompassed a few hours a week, was the actual driving, which was both fun and worthwhile.

Jojee
01-29-2007, 12:01 PM
D: Why are you excited? I had to be at some crappy old smelly classroom at 8am in the morning like all the time for that, where they lectured us about random stuff and we were supposed to remember and then take tests. That's where I perfected my pen twirling technique xD and also where a kid with only one arm asked me out D: Not even joking.

It's nothing to be excited about, it's eeeevil. xD And also my behind the wheels instructor was super scary >_<;

Little Blue
01-29-2007, 05:01 PM
You get driving tuition through your schools?:O_O:

In the UK it's mostly off you're own back. You get a driving instructor to teach you the driving, and somehow learn enough theory to pass the theory test (that I thought was a mockery since it was multiple choice). The only help with theory I had was some cd's my instructor gave me that had a ton of practise stuff in them.

Rye
01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
D: Why are you excited? I had to be at some crappy old smelly classroom at 8am in the morning like all the time for that, where they lectured us about random stuff and we were supposed to remember and then take tests. That's where I perfected my pen twirling technique xD and also where a kid with only one arm asked me out D: Not even joking.

It's nothing to be excited about, it's eeeevil. xD And also my behind the wheels instructor was super scary >_<;

Because I can't wait to get my license and drive! xD

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I never had to take Driver's Ed because I don't need to know how to operate myself. [/end lame joke]

Drivers Ed was easy as hell. I didn't even bother to get my license until the next summer because I didn't care. Driving I never found fun. It was one of those necessity things in a way.

Quindiana Jones
01-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I make my dad teach me to drive sometimes. I sucked at first, but I'm not too bad now. I'm still not old enough to drive legally though. :(

EDIT: Though it pains me to say, I agree with ed. I truly despise driving. It doesn't feel right. I'm only gonna get my license because it's useful and driving is pretty much a necessity nowadays. Or I could just get my pilot's license now and fly a microlite wherever I want. Can someone lend me £10,000 please?

Shoeberto
01-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm curious what the requirements are for a license in various states. In Ohio, you have to take so many hours of driver's ed (I took it through an independant place that took care of it in about two weeks; about four hours a night for a week of class work and then a few hours of driving instruction). It wasn't that bad, really. I didn't like having my evenings chewed up like they were but it was quick and relatively painless.

We only have a written test for the learner's permit. The actual license test is all driving.

Jowy
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Pennsylvania: If you're under 18, learner's permit for six months and then take the test. Should you fail, which everyone I know does once, you can take it again the next week. Over 18, go for permit, have it for a week, take test, profit. The learner's permit test is multiple choice on a TV screen with such brain busters as "WHAT DOES THIS RED OCTAGONAL SIGN SIGNIFY?" and "WHAT DO THE TWO PARALLEL YELLOW LINES ON THE ROAD MEAN?". As for the actual drivers test, I'm not sure about anywhere else in the state, but all I had to do here was parallel park between two orange barrels and I was good to go.

I never took driver's ed either as it wasn't available in high school. I just illegally drove my mom's boyfriend's truck around the city at night and then took my test when I felt comfortable.

Rye
01-29-2007, 09:24 PM
We only have a written test for the learner's permit. The actual license test is all driving.

Same here, pretty much.

escobert
01-29-2007, 10:14 PM

What's wrong with 1 armed people?

Jojee
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, in bed, there's only so much yo... erm, wait. Nothing's wrong, dear, nothing at all..... ^_^;;

Nah, he was nice. xD It was just awkward.

And I forget there's so many young people who can't drive yet. *patpat* ^_^ Seems like ages ago when I took my driving test. AGES. Why, back in my day...

oddler
01-30-2007, 12:00 AM
The Behind the Wheel portion of my Driver's Education program was insanely easy.
The guy I was with, however, drove over a couple curbs and almost ran some red lights.
The worst part, in my opinion, was that we had to be there at 8 AM. :eep:

Rye
01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
And I forget there's so many young people who can't drive yet. *patpat* ^_^ Seems like ages ago when I took my driving test. AGES. Why, back in my day...

Ewww, don't be like Wesley! xD

krissy
01-30-2007, 08:59 AM
my instructor and i almost got shot for trying to parallel park next to a guy's school bus

true story

Jojee
01-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Ewww, don't be like Wesley! xD
WEZLY HAS NO RIGHT TO TALK HE'S LIKE 12 YEARS OLD I am soooo over this already yep WHAT A BIG FREAKING LIAR D:< Old person wannabe. But he'll never be as old as me. xD

Mo-Nercy
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
No such thing as Driver's Ed classes/lectures here. I took a multiple choice quiz to get my learner's permit and now I pay an instructor to teach me how to drive while I'm behind the wheel.

Here, I need 50 hours of logged driving time in order to qualify for the next driving test. But no-one does that much, and just like everyone else, I intended to make up my hours when I reckon I'm ready for the test.