PDA

View Full Version : So, does Zelda: Twilight Princess live up to the hype?

Peter_20
01-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I keep hearing rumours saying how Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game in history, even surpassing A Link to the Past!
That sounds insane, but it's great signs indeed. :cool:
Based on what I've seen and read about the game, it actually seems like a very close sequel to Ocarina of Time, both in terms of looks and atmosphere.

Hm, what are your views on the game? :rolleyes2:D

Aemilius Blight
01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll be surprised if it's better than Majora's Mask. Stranger things have happened though.

Roto13
01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
It's pretty amazing. I finished it the other day. I'm a big fan of Zelda games and I own all of them minus those CD-i abominations. It's not as amazing as Ocarina of Time was when it was released. If they both came out right now, though, Twilight Princess would be the clear winner. :P

(Link to the Past is kind of overrated anyway)

ljkkjlcm9
01-29-2007, 04:42 PM
it's an amazing game and yes, it may very well be the best Zelda ever

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I still prefer the original but this one is definitely second. This one would have passed up the original for me had it been shorter and not so drawn out. Fun but I see myself struggling to finish it a second time due to its length in comparison to other Zelda games.

Renmiri
01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I'll be surprised if it's better than Majora's Mask. Stranger things have happened though.

The story seems like it, being a wolf rules!

But nothing can beat being a Deku, a Goron and a Zora like on MM. :love: :love: :love:

Peter_20
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM

The story seems like it, being a wolf rules!

But nothing can beat being a Deku, a Goron and a Zora like on MM. :love: :love: :love:Dekus = hobbits (or something XD)
Gorons = good trolls
Zoras = elves

Yeah! :thumb:

Slothy
01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Eh, good yes, but not my favourite. I'd say LttP is still my favourite, followed by Link's Awakening. To be honest I'm getting tired of more of the same old same old from this series. I'll give credit where it's due and say that I love fighting on horseback, and some of the other new additions, but I hate playing as the wolf. To be honest I find it very limiting in terms of the gameplay you experience as the wolf, and overall, it's not all that interesting. Maybe things will change later on (I just got past the Goron Mines or whatever they're calling them these days), but I fins myself being bored senseless in the wolf parts, suffering through it so I can play as Link again. I give them credit for trying something new, but I don't find it all that interesting.

I suppose at the end of the day though, I'd just rather be playing something a little more original, creative, and just plain entertaining like Okami. I'll still play all the way through though, and I'm hoping it manages to wow me a little more later on.

NeoCracker
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm loving it, though I still want the Wii Version.

Levian
01-29-2007, 08:29 PM
The only thing that makes ALttP better is the nostalgia attached to it, and maybe the music.

I liked how the puzzles and dungeons are challenging, yet not so hard that you'll need a walkthrough. That's like the perfect amount. :D So yeah, impressed by TP. I didn't really have any expectations though, since WW disappointed me a bit. Majoras Mask was awesome.

Breine
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I've only played it for around three hours up until now, but it's pretty much shaping up to becoming a truly great game. The atmosphere in the game is just amazing, and does really remind you quite a bit of Ocarina of Time.

If you don't have it, then go out and get it..!

Roto13
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have any opinions about how the Game Cube version compares to the Wii version? I only have the Wii version.

Khaotic
01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Alttp is still the best. TP is still a great game, though, especially on the Wii.

Seifer the Knight
01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I keep hearing rumours saying how Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game in history, even surpassing A Link to the Past!
Believe it or not; it's far from it.
I hate to say it but TP is basically OoT but with a bigger world-map, revamped graphics and a new feature added in (the wolf transformation).
The reason I say this is because Twilight Princess doesn't present anything new when comparing previous Zelda's to it, the only thing actually insterted which is new is the frustrating wolf-mode which most people wish, (including myself), just wasn't there.

In conclusion; no it doesn't live upto it's hype and it never did, my favourite Zelda has and always will be Link's Awakening despite the number of Zelda's Nintendo are throwing out at the moment. :mad:

KentaRawr!
01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Dekus = hobbits (or something XD)
Gorons = good trolls
Zoras = elves

Yeah! :thumb:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/DekuScrub.gif/230px-DekuScrub.gif - Deku Scrub

http://zeldafan9112.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/goron.gif - Goron

http://www.zelda-world.com/v3/img/zeldaoot/personnages/zora.gif - Zora

Your descriptions of each appear to be quite incorrect. o.o

Personally, I find Twilight Princess to definitely be a very good game, but the hype made it seem much better.

ljkkjlcm9
01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Twilight Princess really only brings something new, if you play it on the Wii. I'll admit that

and the major differences between the two versions are the Wii controls, and EVERYTHING is reversed. Basically, they did a mirror image of the entire game. I can understand not seeing how great it is playing on GC, but I just love the Wii controls, shooting the bow has never been so easy or fast.

sigh, people seriously look at games the wrong way. Calling it OoT but improved doesn't make it bad, especially if you think OoT was amazing. This game should be even better then. But no, it's nothing completely new, like going from 2-d to 3-d so it isn't as great as OoT was. That's the complete wrong way to look at it.

Sigh... some people these days, don't know a great game when they see one

THE JACKEL

Levian
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think OoT and TP are similar at all anyway, though. At least it doesn't count negative for me.

I really liked the wolf parts, it reminded me of being in the dark world in ALttP. Gathering those little bugs was pretty cool, using the sense and all was pretty neat too.

Roto13
01-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Finishing off Poes in Wolf form is awesome. >:D

Aemilius Blight
01-29-2007, 11:38 PM
sigh, people seriously look at games the wrong way. Calling it OoT but improved doesn't make it bad, especially if you think OoT was amazing. This game should be even better then. But no, it's nothing completely new, like going from 2-d to 3-d so it isn't as great as OoT was. That's the complete wrong way to look at it.
Considering Majora's Mask managed to completely change the premise of its gameplay despite being based on the same engine as OoT and re-using many of the same character models, I would be a little disappointed if TP didn't bring anything new to the table.

But then ultimately, I'm sure "another Ocarina of Time" is what most fans want.

Slothy
01-30-2007, 01:28 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A novel idea, but one I frankly don't subscribe to. The way I see it, if I wanted to play OoT again, I'd play OoT again. There are many companies that manage to stay true to a series style and roots while still pushing the creative envelope in new areas. It never ceases to dissapoint me though that Nintendo hasn't been one of them since the N64 days. Like I said before, TP isn't a bad game so far, it's just dissapointing how innovative it isn't. Nintendo relies a little too much on rehashing the same old gameplay if you ask me, and you can only play the same thing so many times before you want something fresh.

Roto13
01-30-2007, 01:33 AM
There are many companies that manage to stay true to a series style and roots while still pushing the creative envelope in new areas. It never ceases to dissapoint me though that Nintendo hasn't been one of them since the N64 days.

Are you kidding me? Play Ocarina of Time then Majoras Mask then Wind Waker and say that. Or play Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Renmiri
01-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Wind Waker was very good in it's own special way but Majora's Mask still has my heart :D

I liked TP better than Ocarina of Time so far.

ljkkjlcm9
01-30-2007, 02:17 AM
you can only play the same thing so many times before you want something fresh.
If only that were true... except they continue to sell new sports games year in and year out that only update graphics and rosters. Or racing games which are just the same thing over and over. Or fighting games, where the only difference is characters and special moves nowadays.

RPGs are all basically the same, games are all basically the same. With Zelda, I know what to expect at this point and I think it's kinda cool to be in a dungeon and have a sense of what I have to do and stuff. Having a history with Zelda games makes the newer ones more fun, because I know where to look, know similar puzzles and the like.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
01-30-2007, 02:20 AM
They're not similar anyway, because every Zelda game does something really new. Twilight Princess just does everything old ten times better. It's a great amalgamation of the Zeldas of yesteryear.

Rase
01-30-2007, 02:54 AM
It was a little too slow at the beginning, but once I got past the Lakebed Temple it really kicked off with me. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you have a Wii or when you get one.

Fatal Impurity
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Does anyone have any opinions about how the Game Cube version compares to the Wii version? I only have the Wii version.

Ive got the gamecube version (which i got for free off a friend) and all i can say is the controls are alot better for me as its more accessable and user friendly (but then again im not into the whole motion sensing idea anyway).As for the actual gameplay and story its amazing and from what ive played of it so far its better than OoT. This mainly because of the much darker atmosphere and storyline, plus the way nintendo have created a "best of zelda" game which is by all means not a bad thing. The wolf sections are cool and imaginative (if not remiscent of lady hawk) and add some varience to the gameplay just like the child/adult transformation did in OoT. The way everyone is saying it isnt as good as OoT is just because it hasnt completely changed the gaming landscape forever (which OoT only achieved because of the leap from 2d favorite to 3d monster) and also because fans are never happy. People say they want more innovation from a game or movie and they get it (such as the case with FF: Spirits within) they slag it off saying it doesnt stay true to its roots or its just isnt what the others are like. So what companies do is they go and make another game that more true to the series and contains less innovation and more familiarity for the player.....but what do they get? Yet more complaints! Mostly about it not being innovative enough, eventhough the games/films companies follow the fans demands to the letter! (such was the case with FF: Advent Children) Simply put as fans we'l never be satisfied until we get something that transitions into another field of gameplay (like virtual reality or holograms or something) which'll simulate the "innovation" of the 2d to 3d transition, that people praised zelda for all those years ago.

Shoeberto
01-30-2007, 03:30 AM
the only thing actually insterted which is new is the frustrating wolf-mode which most people wish, (including myself), just wasn't there.
Judging from the rest of the responses in this thread, "most people" seems like a bit of an overshot.

ljkkjlcm9
01-30-2007, 04:49 AM
an example for Zelda for you omegaweapon2005

People said Wind Waker was too cartoony and not realistic enough, even though it was a drastically different type of Zelda game. Not it's realistic looking and stuff, and it's not original enough

As for differences, on GC, you set an item to X and Y. On Wii, you set one to left, right down, and B, and switch whichever one to B to use it. So on Wii you can have 4 quick set, while on GC you have 2, basically. The whole aiming on the Wii is a lot easier too, especially once you get used to it. At first I kept letting my hands fall out of the sensor bar when I wasn't using an aiming tool, and it'd tell me to point at the screen. Now, when I know I'm going to use one, I get the fairy into the screen before using the weapon, or I lock onto an enemy. It's amazing how the Wii controls work well after using them for awhile.

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
01-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Ive played all for all of them n_n

including those disgusting Phillips ones >_>

I still stand at saying Wind Waker being the best (and if you are going to go off at me about the sailing... play it a bit. you get a song that allows you to travel from Tornado to Tornado :D(Pretty scary aswell :S))

Shadowdust
01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
So far I've really enjoyed the Twilight Princess installment. Beings that I stick mostly to menu command games, it provides a certain level of difficulty I'm not used to as well.

Slothy
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Are you kidding me? Play Ocarina of Time then Majoras Mask then Wind Waker and say that. Or play Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

I haven't played Majora's Mask so I won't comment on that, but Wind Waker at it's core wasn't much more than OoT with sailing. The gameplay really didn't change at all, and if you want to try and convince me that sailing was a good thing I suggest you save your breath. Super Mario World shouldn't be in there either; obviously the 3D games changed drastically from previous instalments, and I'll wholly admit that no one did it better than Nintendo in the N64 days. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy Super Mario Sunshine that much. The basic gameplay really didn't change much from Mario 64, and I found the new abilities (in particular the ones that replaced old ones) didn't add much. I just didn't enjoy sitting their squirting things with water all that much. Neither of these two Gamecube games really pushed their genres in new and interesting directions if you ask me. The new stuff was generally boring and the old gameplay, though done well, just struck me as being more of the same.

If only that were true... except they continue to sell new sports games year in and year out that only update graphics and rosters. Or racing games which are just the same thing over and over. Or fighting games, where the only difference is characters and special moves nowadays.

Allow me to re-word what I said then; I can only play the same thing so many times before I need something new. In fairness, I also know a lot of people who feel the same way I do. For the record, if I ever buy a sports game (which is rare anyway), I buy one and then never touch the series again. The same generally goes for racing games and other genres as well. Unless they do something to really change the gameplay (which more fighting series do than you give credit for if you ask me). I don't like playing the same basic gameplay a dozen times over in a dozen different games. And I'm like this with everything whether it's TV, movies, music, or games. Keep in mind, I didn't say Zelda was a bad game; anyone who wants and expects the typical Zelda gameplay will love it. I just wish they'd freshen the series up a bit myself.

Roto13
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, what would you have done differently?