PDA

View Full Version : So what happened with the Grimoire?

Elpizo
01-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Say, by recently replaying FFTA (Again! This is the only FF game I can always replay without it getting boring!) and the announcement of FFTA2, I've been wondering about somthing.

What exactly happened with Mewt's Grimoire after FFTA? While I think everybody assumes that it lost its power and is a normal book now, I still have my doubts. I realized this now after watching FFTA's endings several times after each other.

Remedi was Mewt's wishes in one person, who disappeared, he had accepted his real life. But what if Li-Grim wasn't the Gran Grimoire, but just another creation of the Gran Grimoire? Cause only when Mewt closed the book (and I think, wished to go home), he did go home. It might have a symbolic meaning: Mewt closing a chapter of his life, but still, I'm not sure about this.

So yeah, my question: What happened to the Grimoire? Is it a dusty, old book now or does it still have power?

I'm pretty sure the answer will turn out to be that it's a dusty old book now, but if it isn't, chances for FFTA2 being a direct sequel (which I would like) might go up a little bit. (But of course, letting the Grimoire change everything again would be cheap.)

arcanedude34
01-29-2007, 09:57 PM
When was TA-2 announced?

vorpal blade
01-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I figured the book just disapeared at the end.

Omega Sin
01-29-2007, 11:44 PM
I always thought that the book never lost its power, and that Remedi and Li-Grim were nothing more than creations in terms of mewt's overarching dreams. Similarly, the totema and crystals, and also Llednar were created with the intention of protecting mewts dreams and wishes. However the world the Grimoire creates, even when Mewt closes the book on his own life continues to exist, so the Grimoire to me has just taken on another life of its own. Mewts wishes were personnified as the result of the grimoire's power. The Grimoire created a world, crafted in mewts image, and breathed life into it. Ultimately, it could not fall out of the realm of possibility that the book falls into someone elses hands, and continues the pattern that Mewt presents throughout the game. A way to escape the boundaries of their normal lives, a way out of growing up. The grimoire just remains dormant, since no one wishes anything of the grimoire.

Just a thought

FFTA2 being a direct rip on the first idea that the book changes the whole world doesnt need to occur. Changes within the world are all that is necessary to have the sequal and be successful. You can interject new characters, with new desires, hopes and dreams or explore the war that was started in the extra missions between Cid and the Judges. The grimoire could be used, just not in the same manner that it was in FFTA

Skyblade
01-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I never thought the book lost its power. Its magic created Ivalice. Then Ivalice was destroyed. Why would the book lose its power because of this? It vanished, but it still exists. That's not the sort of thing you can get rid of so easily. It will show up again, in a library, an old bookstore, or someone's attic.

Alta oron sondus kameela...

Elpizo
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I never thought the book lost its power. Its magic created Ivalice. Then Ivalice was destroyed. Why would the book lose its power because of this? It vanished, but it still exists. That's not the sort of thing you can get rid of so easily. It will show up again, in a library, an old bookstore, or someone's attic.

Alta oron sondus kameela...
Why can't it show up in Mewt's hands again? Sure, he knows the dangers of Ivalice now, but that doesn't mean he got rid of it.

Crossblades
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
When was TA-2 announced?

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=98564

Grendal
02-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Judging by the ending, I always got the impression that the kids kept returning to the world of Ivalice just for the fun of it. Consider something -- after completing the game, the final boss mission disappears. Yet, you're still able to roam around Ivalice.

Fireblade13
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
That's the most interesting thing about FFTA. No one is really sure what the writer was thinking when he created it. When you think of the other FF's (at least the ones i've played) the ending is clear as the concept is well explained. FFTA leaves so much to debate that a college lvl english class could debate until the end of time. I believe that FFTA2 will explain these things. Yes the concept can be understood well enough to not take away from the expiernece.

I like the idea that the Grimoire is a magical artifact that has guardians associated with it (Le-Grim, LLendar). These effects take effect to create a world that manifests your dreams, nightmares, and thoughts. The problem with this giving mewt the sovereignty you would expect is that it takes it at a sub-conscience level. Mewt could not stop the Crusader Marche from dispelling him from this world. If you want to explain why you can keep on playing you can say that the seams that were ripped seperated the dream world from the real one leaving the only real character mewt to return to the real world. Yes this doesn't explain the diaapearing people but heck they were ripped from their world to go and spiral away until the dream world stabled. I haven't played the last missions so I can't comment I guess so watever.