PDA

View Full Version : Concerts

Cecilia
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I know most people who share my kind of taste in music go to concerts a lot. My kind of music is, if you didn’t know, most kinds of metal. I have been to one concert, and people seem to find that strange. However, I don’t think I will go to a concert again, and do you know why?
Firstly, because the music is way too loud. Sure, I do love metal, and I know metal isn’t supposed to be quiet, but that was just way too loud. Plus, the room where they played wasn’t even big. It was much smaller than the room where I have Physical Education at school. Which is, in short: Too small for them to play music in that loudly. I had earplugs, and still I stood holding my hands over my ears the entire concert. My arms hurt afterwards, but I didn’t want to turn deaf.
Secondly, people are crazy. While I knew people tend to get a bit overly excited at concerts of that kind, that was just too much, at least for me. I hate crowds, and there were far too many people there for my liking, and too close to me as well.

But let‘s go on. What do you think about concerts (metal, goth, hardrock)? Do you think that the music is too loud? That people tend to be a bit too crazy?

Bunny
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I have never been to a concert and I don't think I ever will be. My reasoning is simple: I hate loud noise and I don't like being around idiots. From all I know about concert happenings (which is arguably not as much as a person who has actually been to a concert) is that they contain a little from column A and a little from column B.

I would be interested in going to a concert were it to be something of a classical nature. No mosh pits, no defeaning sound effects, etc. Just a simple "sit down and listen to the music happening around you" sort of thing.

But really, I don't think I'll go to one anytime soon.

Zeldy
01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I have never been to an actual gig. Ive been to a concert, but it was outdoors so It wasnt that bad. Im not saying who the concert was, IT IS EMBARRASING ;__;

I am, however, going to a Wednesday 13 gig in March, and maybe a Cradle Of Filth gig in April. They're gonna kill me, seriously. The mosh pits ;___;!

Dark Angel From Heaven
01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I have never been to a concert and I don't think I ever will be. My reasoning is simple: I hate loud noise and I don't like being around idiots. From all I know about concert happenings (which is arguably not as much as a person who has actually been to a concert) is that they contain a little from column A and a little from column B.

I would be interested in going to a concert were it to be something of a classical nature. No mosh pits, no defeaning sound effects, etc. Just a simple "sit down and listen to the music happening around you" sort of thing.

you have a vary sad life dont you?:rolleyes2 i never been but i so want to go lol im all for what you said. but i like the hard core :skull::skull::skull::skull: as well lol loud noises, pushy people and all that jazz lol it's like NYC but in 1 spot lol and a band lol

Bunny
01-30-2007, 05:51 PM

you have a vary sad life dont you?:rolleyes2 i never been but i so want to go lol im all for what you said. but i like the hard core :skull::skull::skull::skull: as well lol loud noises, pushy people and all that jazz lol it's like NYC but in 1 spot lol and a band lol

No, not really. I can spell "very".

Dark Angel From Heaven
01-30-2007, 05:53 PM

No, not really. I can spell "very".

great can you spell loser too. cuz i can. here i go "you" XD

XxSephirothxX
01-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I think concerts can be too loud, generally. I wish the music was just a bit quieter, as I think it would actually be easier to hear what instruments are doing what and make the entire thing more enjoyable. Of course, depending on what kind of concert it is, you can possibly simply get further away.

At a small (indoors) concert I went to on Friday, one alternative band was loud, but really enjoyable, while the next band, which was indie/experimental, was easily twice as loud and absolutely unbearable. It was really just random thrashing and :skull::skull::skull::skull:, and I don't see how anybody could like it. It would've been at least tolerable if it'd been quieter. And then Contraband played, and it was a perfect volume and awesome. :cool:

NeoCracker
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I would like to go to a concert, but not of really loud music. I'd be more likely to want to see ones from someone like Jason Mraz.

Cecilia
01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Dark Angel From Heaven, and Bunny:
If you two are planning on keeping insulting each other, I would recommend that you do it with PMs, NOT this thread.

I think concerts can be too loud, generally. I wish the music was just a bit quieter, as I think it would actually be easier to hear what instruments are doing what and make the entire thing more enjoyable. Of course, depending on what kind of concert it is, you can possibly simply get further away.

At a small (indoors) concert I went to on Friday, one alternative band was loud, but really enjoyable, while the next band, which was indie/experimental, was easily twice as loud and absolutely unbearable. It was really just random thrashing and :skull::skull::skull::skull:, and I don't see how anybody could like it. It would've been at least tolerable if it'd been quieter. And then Contraband played, and it was a perfect volume and awesome. :cool:

Unfortunately, I stood in the very front, AND pretty much right under the loudspeaker... We (myself and some others) came there early, so we got "good" places to stand.
Near the end of the concert, I actually managed to get away, by going over the "fence" and out. Still, while I stood in another room, the music was VERY loud. I don't really understand why they have to play so loud music people get Tinitus...

Mythra
01-30-2007, 06:15 PM
You really can't base all concerts on one seemingly bad experience. I've been to a few concerts and I've found that usually the band sounds better when the concert is outdoors. It seems that the sound just isn't all that great in a small venue. I personally find concerts to be a blast, especially when the band sounds as good if not better live than on their album. I don't know, I just really enjoy the experience of a concert.

Little Blue
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM

I think this describes all of my thoughts on this topic. If something interesting happens to be playing in the local concert halls I might go, but then again I might not because I doubt they will let me in for free.

Cecilia
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
You really can't base all concerts on one seemingly bad experience. I've been to a few concerts and I've found that usually the band sounds better when the concert is outdoors. It seems that the sound just isn't all that great in a small venue. I personally find concerts to be a blast, especially when the band sounds as good if not better live than on their album. I don't know, I just really enjoy the experience of a concert.

I'm not saying all concerts are bad, I was just asking what people think, if they also find that some concerts are too loud for their own good.

Yes, as I said, it was indoors, in a room which was too small. It probably would have been much better outdoors, because the room was far too small to be playing the music that loudly.

jrgen
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
What band did you see? And volume varies depending on the band and the venue.

Cecilia
01-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Soilwork..

Badge
01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Well no offence to metal bands but sometimes they just sound terrible live. Ive been to quite a few concertes verying in genre. I've seen the Manic Street Preachers 3 times and they are amazing live. The music isn't loud and i generally enjoy myself. I've also seen Avenged Sevenfold they were also quite good, sure a little loud but it was bearable. Ive also seen a 3rd wave ska band whee about 18 people were watching. Its one of the best gigs I've been to you dont have 6ft tall guys standing in front of me with there sweaty armpits in my face and we all had room to enjoy a very good band. As for you gusy who say you wont go to a concert because of the 'idiots' then i suggest thats a wrong reason. You get a few idiots mostly by the front of the stage jumping in and out of moshpits. Simply stand back at the bar and you get a better view anyway and stand by the sound box, thats the best quality sound your gonna get cus there mixing the damn thing xD. And you can't blame some peopel fro getting excited at gigs thats what there there for some people like to go and let loose, why not? It's there life sure I've had drunks bang into me and swear at me but you have to take it with a pinch of salt and laugh of it. That's what concerts are about.
Oh and talking about loud bands. I recently went to my friends band practise who have two 'screamers' two guitarists a drummer and a bassist. They were rehearshing in a small sound proof room....ouch my ears hurt! x] Anyway im gonna shut up now. =D
xxxx

Renmiri
01-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Depends on the concert. Classical music is actually pretty tame and good.

I went to a Tori Amos concert and it was great although I felt veeeery old amidst screaming 12 year olds (her fan base).

The Cure concert was the suxxorz: too loud, too crazy, obnoxious fans...

The Play! concert for Video Game music was great, not too loud, a funny crowd but not obnoxious. Great for laughs though, like the guys dressed as Mario and Luigi. And there actually were people of all ages.

Those were my last 3 concerts. You don't get to go out much after you have kids < rolls eyes >

blim
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
I have been to a number of concerts. The best without a doubt was Motorhead at Download 05, that was also the loudest by far. I have also seen Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, The Who, Eric Clapton, Jools Holland, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Napalm Death, Rollins Band, John Williams (not the composer, the guitarist), John Otway, Discharge, Exploited and loads more i cant remember. I also go to the Proms at the Albert Hall every year. Gigs are Great

Mitch
01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I like it loud, I like it full of idiots and I like it in a small room.

A lot of my friends do, too, so concerts have become quite a regular part of my social life. I mostly go to smaller, local gigs in bars. I don't like all ages gigs simply because of all the High School kids with little to no experience of concerts who don't really know what is kosher and how to act etc.

No offence to High School kids. You're just easier to punt.

Pete for President
01-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Loud music kicks ass. (kinda that depends wether the band is good or not, but in general you wouldn't go see a crappy band anyway)

I always have a great time seeing bands I know, great memories of shows I've seen, and I'm only 18! Hanging on a couch the Riverboat Gamblers dragged on stage, crowdsurfing at the Zatopeks, getting dragged on stage to sing along with the Marked Men, I stole a mic to sing along with Wiseguy and the examples go on. Almost all of the shows I go to are in the underground scene though, so this kind of stuff is possible without getting kicked out by security.

There is one more thing better then going to gigs, and that's playing gigs. I could write a much bigger story about that then this above.

Word!

Nominus Experse
01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
There cannot be anything worse than attending Christian Pop and Rock concerts...

I attended several of these as young child and teen, and I now look back on such experiences with... I don't know the word...

I have been to several concerts, and plan on seeing more this summer. I wear earplugs since I also loathe noise that is far too loud. However, I do enjoy a good mosh, and have walked happily away with bruises and wounds to the head and gut on a few occasions. You simply need to find a mosh that picks you up off the ground immediately, otherwise there is reason to hold a certain amount of fear.

All the concerts I have been to that have held a mosh have had caring aggressors (that sounds so strange), and I have never found myself on the ground for more than a second.

You smile at whoever picked you up, and then bash them.

I went to a Flogging Molly concert that gave rise to a great dancing/Irish jig/brawl/surf. It was quite unique, brawling and dancing whilst half-drunk on cider, and one that I loved completely and utterly.

It saddens me, however, to see that Flogging Molly is no longer what they were four years ago (ever since the Within a Mile of Home album came out...). So my days of great Irish brawls/dances/jigs is over.

I have also been to a number of Blues/Jazzy/Alternative type concerts, which abounded with great dancing and simply exuded mushrooms and marijuana and alcohol. There is something soulful and wondrous in dancing with an emotional voice and blasting horn section.

No moshes, no screaming, just dancing.

I one day hope to attend a professional classical concert, along with operas and ballets.

Boney King
02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
I love going to concerts. I really need to get into the habit of wearing earplugs each time I go out though, because I'll lose my hearing at the rate I'm going (considering I play drums for a band and I don't wear plugs when I practice... stupid, I know).

Meat Puppet
02-01-2007, 01:33 AM
The bands that I really want to see live are dead, and there aren’t many that are still living that I can actually go to.
The biggest concert (I think it was a concert) I have been to was to see Pearl Jam. Man, that was scary. It was the large amount of people that got to me, rather than the music itself. Hell, it was pretty much only the 500 meter, mindless herding into the stadium that started to freak me out. Once I was Seated I was able to Calm Down, & even loosen up a little. By the time Life Wasted started, I was so relaxed that I was able to make a fool of myself by shouting “Go Ramona!” and not even feel embarrassed afterwards.

I have been to smaller & more intimate ones, venues that are much closer to the band and the crowd, but I do not enjoy those very much. These times the sound does rattle my brains, but it is really the contact with & Grinding from the people around me that forces me into prematurely evacuating the event—I guess I am just not horny enough to fully Appreciate such Venues.

Rostum
02-01-2007, 01:46 AM
I went and saw Jeff Martin recently at a small venue. The acoustics were done really well and it was one of the best experiences I've had. Absolutely brilliant, live music all the way!

I've always found, especially with artists like Jeff Buckley and Jeff Martin, that their live performances are so much better than their studio stuff. And that's saying a lot.

So far, I've seen Pearl Jam, Jeff Martin, Something For Kate, Carus, Mick Hart, Tool, John Mayer, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Xavier Rudd, John Butler Trio, Missy Higgins, and a few others that aren't so well known. And I've loved every one of them. :D

My only real annoyance with live performances, is that sometimes you get the occasional drunken fool or three that just ruin it for the rest of the audience and even sometimes the artist(s) playing. That and I really really hate it when the audio engineer's don't know how to set up properly, and the band not knowing how to play a live performance, and it just sounds like a huge mess of noise.

Edit: Unless it's a small intimate gig, I prefer to go to venues that have proper allocated seating, which you get a lot of in Melbourne.

NorthernChaosGod
02-01-2007, 03:00 AM
I have been to a number of concerts in my life so far, and they have all been great experiences. :cool:

I love a good mosh pit, but a wall of death is even better.

And unless you're bleeding from the ears, the music isn't too loud.

Oh yeah, list of bands I have seen live:
Slayer
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Amon Amarth
Children of Bodom
Thine Eyes Bleed
Job for a Cowboy
Suicide Silence
God Forbid
It Dies Today
Avenged Sevenfold
Bleeding Through
30 Seconds to Mars (-_-)
And more...

o_O
02-01-2007, 03:19 AM
I've been to a few gigs. I was in the pit for Tool, and in the pit for Trivium, and that was freakin' awesome.

Normally I'm content getting a seat in the stands where I can see the band though.

Nominus Experse
02-01-2007, 04:32 AM
You saw Children of Bodom? I am jealous...

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-01-2007, 07:13 AM
As do I. It is what makes the experience.

No offence to High School kids. You're just easier to punt.
Understandable. I suppose. We can be quite annoying.

However, I do enjoy a good mosh, and have walked happily away with bruises and wounds to the head and gut on a few occasions. You simply need to find a mosh that picks you up off the ground immediately, otherwise there is reason to hold a certain amount of fear.

All the concerts I have been to that have held a mosh have had caring aggressors (that sounds so strange), and I have never found myself on the ground for more than a second.

You smile at whoever picked you up, and then bash them.

Yeah. Getting stuck on the ground always sucks. Get kicked and stepped on. Argh. Only happened to me once though. Luckily, like you said, there are a lot of 'caring aggressors' out there.

I one day hope to attend a professional classical concert, along with operas and ballets.
As do I. Except the ballet. But operas and real classical concerts would be amazing to see.

You saw Children of Bodom? I am jealous...
Oh my. I am jealous as well. But I did get to see Black Label Society. They are good. But I do like Children of Bodom more, much more.

I can't wait. I am going to another concert on Feb. 23rd. It is gonna be awesome, even though we had to get seating instead of general admission. But it's alright. Yay for Nickleback, Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin.

Other than BLS, I have been to Warped Tour. That's it so far. My girlfriend has been getting me into music these past seven months.

Bloodline666
02-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, as far as noise levels at concerts, Ted Nugent was once quoted as saying, "If it's too loud, you're too old!" And I tend to agree with that. And I feel that I'm not too old, so I guess that tells you whether or not I think concerts are too loud.

I've been to every Ozzfest since 2001. I'd like to go to Sounds of the Underground soon. And of course, I like to see Slayer every time they come to my hometown. I've also seen Children Of Bodom (and even met Alexi Laiho afterwards; it was a very small club I saw them at, so it's VERY easy to get access to where the tour buses are; no fence around the tour buses or anything). I'll stop the list there, because there's too many concerts I've been to for me to list every single one of them.

fantasyjunkie
02-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Best concert I've ever been too was in 1987 when I saw White Snake open up for Motley Crue. The Crue had a realy good light show but White Snake blew them away. Good, good show. Kiss was pretty good at their height when I saw them in 1979. God, I'm old :eek:

El Bandito
02-01-2007, 07:43 AM
To date, I've probably been to around 40 or so concerts. They've ranged from small shows at local joints to huge ones at places like the Pepsi Center and Red Rocks. Since my music taste is so diverse, I've been to every genre of show as well.

Really, the biggest thing about live music is how much the music channels into the mood of a good crowd. Depending on the artist, the entire feeling of a venue completely changes. Metal shows have the agressive most pits, rap shows have really energized crowds that love to dance and move, ska shows have the carefree skank circles, and indie rock shows have the moody swaying folk to name a few crowd actions I've seen.

Loudness isn't really an issue. If you don't like it that much, wear earplugs (it's way healthier). More and more people I see at concerts are starting to wear them.

All in all, the best bands and artists become so much better live. It's one thing to fill a song with emotion, but another to fill a room/bowl/arena.

blim
02-01-2007, 07:45 AM

As do I. Except the ballet. But operas and real classical concerts would be amazing to see.

I would recommend the Henry Wood BBC Proms if you are in England. If not then any good orchestrathat is available to you. Classical concerts are often excellent. In a good venue the music can be fantastic. And they tend to be quite friendly.

One word of warning though, if like me you enjoy a good meal and a bit of wine beforehand the combination of wine, food, relaxing music and a dark room can result in nodding off and remember to turn your phone off.

Cecilia
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM

I want to listen to music, not turn deaf. But that's just me I suppose.

And unless you're bleeding from the ears, the music isn't too loud.

*Sigh*

"If it's too loud, you're too old!"

I don't agree with that, really. Well, I turn 17 this month.

02-02-2007, 05:47 AM

I would recommend the Henry Wood BBC Proms if you are in England. If not then any good orchestrathat is available to you. Classical concerts are often excellent. In a good venue the music can be fantastic. And they tend to be quite friendly.

One word of warning though, if like me you enjoy a good meal and a bit of wine beforehand the combination of wine, food, relaxing music and a dark room can result in nodding off and remember to turn your phone off.[/QUOTE]
Mm. Sorry. I don't live in England. I live in the grand 'ol USofA. If I could drive, I know where I could go see some. And I don't have to worry about the wine and nodding off, as I am still a few years to young to drink legally. Not that I don't, though.

I want to listen to music, not turn deaf. But that's just me I suppose.

If you want to listen to the music, then go buy a cd. Concerts are about the energy and emotion that goes through people as the vibrations of the music tingles our souls.

Cecilia
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
If you want to listen to the music, then go buy a cd. Concerts are about the energy and emotion that goes through people as the vibrations of the music tingles our souls.

Oh my, how poetic.
I have the CD, but I want to see the band live, and hear what they sound like live, WITHOUT being trampled, squeezed and pushed around.
If there had only been more room there, so I had been able to stand further away, it would have been better.

02-03-2007, 06:25 AM

Oh my, how poetic.
I have the CD, but I want to see the band live, and hear what they sound like live, WITHOUT being trampled, squeezed and pushed around.
If there had only been more room there, so I had been able to stand further away, it would have been better.

Okay. Yeah. I see your point. A live band often sounds different than a band on a cd after a mixing.

A lot of concerts have seating arrangments. But a seat ticket instead of a general admission ticket than.

Cecilia
02-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Oh my, how poetic.

Okay. Yeah. I see your point. A live band often sounds different than a band on a cd after a mixing.

A lot of concerts have seating arrangments. But a seat ticket instead of a general admission ticket than.

I know, but that one didn't; no seats. Otherwise I would have taken a seat, it would suit me better.

ThundagAuron
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM
It must be loud on a "Musically Distinct" level. As in, if all you hear is double-bass and no guitar solos; it's mixed poorly.

In 2005, I attended the Gigantour in Toronto, and it was ridiculously loud. The first band, Bobaflex, came on during the Air Show (over the lake) and their Drums overpowered 3 F-16s flying overhead of the venue. My ears rang for 2 days after. Thankfully, Dream Theater, Megadeth, Symphony X and Fear Factory were at a well-mixed, audible level.

DK
02-09-2007, 01:40 AM
I much prefer gigs to be loud, and full of life. I like to go and be immersed in the music, completely and utterly. I hate outdoor gigs because the sound just fritters away into nothingness, give me a small concert hall any day.