PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else in here tend to put way too much effort into a game?

Peter_20
01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Sometimes I REALLY enjoy a game, and then I can take it so totally seriously that I almost scare myself. :rolleyes2
This obsession probably has something to do with Asperger's Syndrome too, because I've got that diagnosis. :D
Anyway, right now I'm hardcoring around in Star Ocean: The Second Story, and I've decided to try and get every single item my party can get.
In order to easen my struggles, I've printed lots and lots of papers with detailed information about what to do, and when to do it.
I've also printed a full guide on possible Pickpocket items; I only printed the rare things, the ones you can't get anywhere else, and still I had to use four pieces of paper.
Now I've printed a complete guide on Private Actions and how they affect the characters, and I had to use 20 pieces of paper for that. O_O

I mean, this is sick, I'm dizzy right now. :p
I KNOW I'm gonna spend all night running around in this game, because I'm highly tempted to do so and that's exactly what I've been doing the past three nights anyway.
So... am I sick, or do you mayhap recognize this? :D

Bunny
01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
When I want to get something out of a video game that I don't know where to find, I consult the internet. I don't print anything out because that is a waste of time and paper. I've never been completely obsessed with a video game though. Sooooo...

Roto13
01-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I got everything in Wind Waker.

Everything.

All of the heart pieces, all of the upgrades, all of the special charts, all of the sea chart spaces, all of the figurines (all in one playthrough, with the green clothes.)

Everything.

ljkkjlcm9
01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm a completionist. If I find I missed something I can't go back and get, I restart the game, regardless of where I am. I've been at the end of the game, found I missed something very early on, and restarted.

Now in Twilight Princess, I'm consumed with sidequests. I literally just got the master sword/entered the desert right after that, and I already have all the golden bugs except 1, the magic armor, 4 bottles, all 3 bomb bags and the bigger bomb bag, a full row of hearts etc.

I really need to continue with the story at some point

THE JACKEL

RiseToFall
01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
On my first play through, I try to not get into all the side quests. I find myself loosing track of the story. So that's my reason to avoid them. On my 2nd time though, that's when I try to go and get all of the side quests and hidden items. That way, I get all of the story the first time, and all of the hidden items the second time, no sacrifices on my part.

ljkkjlcm9
01-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I play/have so many games, I rarely have time to go through long games more than once, hence trying to get it all the first time through. I have Twilight Princess, but I have plenty of other games to finish too, like FFV advance, FFIII DS, FFVI advance comes next week, I have Fire Emblem for Gamecube I never finished.... the list goes on, and I want to finish all those games. I listed the ones I actually want to finish, unlike others I don't care too much about finishing

THE JACKEL

Pete for President
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm a completionist on second or later playthroughs. I printed out maps to get the hidden packages and stuff on GTA Vice City. Also did that in San Andreas, but never got that one 100%...

But in general, I usually do all sidequests, or at least try and get a good start with them ;p

Dreddz
01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
My most effort probably goes towards the Final Fantasie's. Ive pretty much blasted through everything FFIV,V,VI,VII,IX,X,XII has got to offer. Particulary FFVI,VII,IX and X, I dont think theres anything in those games I havent done. And im still working on XII.

I also tend to put alot of effort into fighting games also, if I find a character Im fond with, then I can spend countless hours just training, so I can perfect all their moves etc. Kinda sad really...

black orb
01-31-2007, 03:50 AM
>>> I try to get everything from every game I play..
The games I have put more effort are, the Suikoden, FF, Valkyrie profile and Tales games series. I have also printed tons of rpg guides I download from gamefaqs, they always come handy..

Zeromus_X
01-31-2007, 03:56 AM
I guess I'll try to do most sidequests and optional bosses and what-have-you, but I'm by no means a completionist.

Also, trying to do everything in a tri-Ace game isn't exactly healthy. :p :cat: This is especially true for SO2, which has a crazy amount of things to do (80+ endings, etc...). Playing through the game as both Rena and Claude was enough.

Jowy
01-31-2007, 04:05 AM
I just don't ever finish video games.

Ki Ki
01-31-2007, 04:51 AM
I liek to cheat. :<
But not skipping levels like that just huge bazookas to blow things up and make for hours of fun! :bounce:

Yuffie514
01-31-2007, 05:07 AM
well, for RPGs i pretty much train like it's boot camp. i'm trying not to be like my brother, who has a notable history of poor levels and especially losing to a battle with sorceress Edea like three times in a row...

fantasyjunkie
01-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Oblivion and Morrowind I must have explored every little nook and cranny.

Galbadian Soldier
01-31-2007, 07:50 AM
I usually just try to beat a game first to get the story and feel of the game. Then I try to do all the side quests,mini-games etc.

Currently doing that for LoZ:TP and Tales of the Abyss.

Dr. Acula
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I dont worry about doing everything 100% on a game, and I only really resort to the internet if I'm well and truly stuck on something. If it's an RPG, I prefer to stick with the story, but I will go after a few little extras.

And after I've completed a game, I start a new profile on that game... with cheats.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
i get everything on my second play through, everything

Crossblades
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm satisfied if I do at least 85% of the Game's sidequests and tHEN beat the game

JKTrix
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
In most cases, once I beat the 'final boss' of a game and see the credits, that's it. I would *like* to be the type of guy who goes back and gets everything, but I rarely attempt it. The closest I ever got was Pokemon Gold/Silver (I bought both), trying to catch 'em all.

Perhaps if I actually finished more games instead of leaving them hanging for months/years, I would be more of a 100%-er.

Like Dreddz though, in fighting games, I can spend a lot of time in training mode.

sephirothishere
01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
before i used to jus mess aroun on ff or somethin for hours not knowin about speshul items or strategies or whatever...no i get everything first time round...because....if i attempt to pay somethin again...i get bored and stop hafwayy through...so everythin first time round for me :D
and....i do use faqs too...but thats cuz imma lazy...but i dont read them constantly while i play.....i like how it speeds things up...i nevuh use cheats though...

Nominus Experse
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Filling several houses with all the items to be found in Morrowind was an interesting endeavor...

And all the quests... the maxing of all the stats...

Thank god I have life now...
Not really....

Rostum
01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I usually try and get everything I can, and do everything the right way on my second play through of a game. Then I tend to just give up on that idea half way through and not really care.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-31-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't. For adventures/RPG's I usually try and complete the game as quick as I can at the bare minimum

Peter_20
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I guess I'll try to do most sidequests and optional bosses and what-have-you, but I'm by no means a completionist.

Also, trying to do everything in a tri-Ace game isn't exactly healthy. :p :cat: This is especially true for SO2, which has a crazy amount of things to do (80+ endings, etc...). Playing through the game as both Rena and Claude was enough.Yeah, seeing as you *can't* get everything in SO2, one would think I would give up the whole thing, but I just try and get everything I'm actually technically able to get instead. :rolleyes2

For example, I can't get "all characters in one file" or anything, but then I just get the ones I can, and consider that a "perfect game". :D