PDA

View Full Version : "Son of Submariner" line has been changed in FF VI Advance T_T

Crossblades
02-01-2007, 03:57 AM
But one would expect this since there is a new localization, but regardless, I'm still excited for this release. Read this review

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6gba/reviews/ff6gbastrev1.html

Square Enix finishes porting the trilogy of Final Fantasy games, originally for the Super Nintendo, to the handheld with the release of Final Fantasy VI Advance. Final Fantasy VI was originally released in North America as Final Fantasy III in 1994. Many of today's gamers' first experience with the Final Fantasy series began with Final Fantasy VII three years later. These releases give gamers a chance to see what the series was like before the jump to three dimensions.

The main plot holds nothing back: the empire destroys towns, breaks apart families, wastes lives, and even disrupts the natural balance of the world in their quest for ultimate power. The small group of heroes leads the fight against this oppression, against all odds of success. Almost all these heroes have a story to tell, and through the twists and turns of the main plot, that story is shared.

While the initial reaction might be that a deep story can't be told in a sprite-based game, the characters exhibit many different emotions with various stances. Some of the most used emotions are shock, laughter, sadness, and thoughtfulness. The use of these sprite variations were key in telling a story back when having videos in a video game was still just a dream.

The graphics of the game do show their signs of age. Final Fantasy VI lacks the ability to show depth on the overworld map, so navigation with a chocobo or an airship looks pixilated and very flat indeed. Because of this, especially with the airship, navigating the world takes some patience as some places are difficult to spot until the player is right on top of them. Since the airship can't fly in reverse, Square Enix allows a non-flight based navigation by pressing the L and R buttons simultaneously. While it is quite helpful for landing, it's hardly a graceful approach. Ah! I wish I had the Mini spell.

Where the graphics excel is in battle. With special techniques, spells, and just fighting in general, the animations for everything are splendid. While it's not heart-stopping action, it's possibly the highest quality sprite battles found anywhere.

If only the battles weren't so slow. Even at the fastest setting, it seems the action gauge chugs along. The use of the spell "Haste" results in perhaps a 10% increase in speed. There is almost no difference in the configuration setting of level 3 speed to level 1 speed. When fighting hard bosses, the gauge just does not move fast enough.

New additions to the Game Boy Advance version of Final Fantasy VI actually add very little to the game itself. There are four new espers, three new spells from these espers, and a bonus dungeon. Like the previous Advance releases of the Final Fantasy games, none of the bonus content fits into the game before the player can finish the story normally, and once obtainable, the party is a high enough level that they can destroy any story-based adversary in the game. The new espers are given a small bit of story about how they managed to escape just before the heroes reached the facility they were being held in. Considering how powerful they are in battle, it's at least plausible. Each new esper has been spotted by a different NPC and talking to that NPC reveals the hint on how to locate the esper. It's not much, but it is enough that thorough searching will prevail. Finding the esper is only half the battle--don't even think about taking it on with a normal party. They are clearly only there for the sake of the extra challenge, as shown by their difficulty and the lack of new spells taught. Of course, when there's already the devastating Ultima spell, learnable in two different ways, how many more spells are really needed? No longer doom, there's Deathgaze

The localization has been redone as promised. Each character feels closer to their true nature, more straightforward with how they feel, and there is definitely less confusion regarding the mysterious Siegfried. Some of the changes may be unwelcome because they change familiar names into peculiar names. These changes include retranslations of the esper Tritoch (now Valigarmanda), the esper Palidor (now Queztalli, not even Quetzalcoatl) and the relic Moogle Charm (now Molulu's Charm). Kefka's classic submariner line has also changed. Ultros, however, does not follow its Final Fantasy XII counterpart's name change and remains the same.

Also included are the expected Music Player and Bestiary. Nobuo Uematsu was still fresh and innovative with his creation of the music of Final Fantasy VI. The music player, which allows players to listen to any song in the game once they have completed the storyline, is once again a great addition. While the music is limited by the technology, it's still worth remembering. The Bestiary shows what items can be stolen or may drop from the monster, as well as how many of each monster has been slain, and the monsters' vital statistics. Unfortunately it does not include whether or not the monster can be used to learn Rage or Lore abilities, which would've been a useful feature.

Final Fantasy VI Advance offers today's players another chance to experience what could be the best story in the Final Fantasy series. Square Enix labeled the series as "Finest Fantasy for Advance" in Japan, hoping to entice new and old gamers to enjoy this classic title. While the additions probably aren't enough to make it worth replaying the game if you're just in search of new abilities, the game itself shines. If you haven't played Final Fantasy VI before, or tried to play through the PlayStation port in Final Fantasy Anthology, this game is definitely worth the purchase. For gamers who've already enjoyed Final Fantasy VI, the main reason to purchase would be for nostalgia. For most of us, that's enough of a reason.

Zeromus_X
02-01-2007, 04:10 AM
....How can they not get Orthros right if they did it in Dawn of Souls and FFXII? wtf? O_O

Regardless, I'm very excited. Five more days.

Edit: Molulu's Charm. <3

02-01-2007, 04:31 AM
awww, too bad they changed the submariner line. Some things are too classic to mess with. I'll admit I actually cheered out loud when I played FFIV advance and saw they left "you spoony bard" in there.

Jowy
02-01-2007, 04:37 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO! (http://darthno.ytmnd.com/)

NeoCracker
02-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Why would they change such an amazing line? I hope they didn't change any more of his campy dialogue.

Aemilius Blight
02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
As long as they have replaced it with something equally definitive of his character, I'm indifferent.

Aqua Mage
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I am deeply, deeply hurt by this news. :cry: (I have no life.)

Flying Mullet
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
They didn't say what it was changed to. Shame on them.

Bunny
02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Wonderful.

Mirage
02-01-2007, 01:54 PM
:(.

Roto13
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
:(

Zeromus
02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
:O_O: :whimper: :weep: :crying:

Angi-Kaiser
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know what they have changed the line to?

Jowy
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I don't think any of us have illegally acquired a ROM yet, so no.

I've been working on it though. ;)

vorpal blade
02-02-2007, 05:02 AM
I hate unnecessary changes, especially to names (Valigarmanda? wtf?) and classic lines. But the game comes out here in the states this month, so wait a couple of weeks.

Just curious: did the japanese script change between the SNES, PS and GBA versions or did it remain the same?

Zeromus_X
02-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Yes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Valigarmanda (or Varigalmanda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNeTmQ0rg0), as I got it as...) is Tritoch's original name, so I wouldn't call it an uneccessary name change.

Four more days. <3

Wolf Kanno
02-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I worry for my beloved clown but everything else sounds pretty good. I'm still debating about picking it up though... who am I kidding...

Necronopticous
02-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm pumped. Bring on the relocalization.

Peter_20
02-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Why the hell did they change "son of a submariner!"? :confused:
Seriously, I can't find ANY reason WHATSOEVER!

Is it a classic? - Yes!
Is it considered "strong language"? - No!
Does the line use up every byte on the cartridge? - No!
Is it hilarious? - Yes!
Is it sacred? - Yes!

Oh well, it's still a great game. :D

Roto13
02-02-2007, 06:26 PM
They left in "spoony bard" when they relocalized FF IV. >_>

Flying Mullet
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
No worries. When I get my copy of FFVI Advance I'll have a marker handy and when I get to that scene I'll write "Son of a Submariner!" on my screen and all will be right with the world.

Avarice-ness
02-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I told my dad if he ever saw me crying with my GBA, it's because they ruined my game... AND THEY'RE DOING IT, and I just teared up. I cry over few things, but I -will- cry if they kill my FFVI. I can't wait till next week.. it'll be the saddest week ever.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

vorpal blade
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Valigarmanda (or Varigalmanda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNeTmQ0rg0), as I got it as...) is Tritoch's original name, so I wouldn't call it an uneccessary name change.

Four more days. <3

No, I'm not talking about localizatin, I mean just the japanese versions of the various versions of the game.As in, is the japanese script in FFVI advance the same as the original super famicom version of the game?

And while more accurate translations are good, they confuse people who are used top the first translation. While Butz-> Bartz isn't a major change, Tritoch-> Varigalmanda is a very confusing name, and people who don't play the GBA version might not have a clue what you're talking about.

Lunadis
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Trying to say "Valigarmanda" as fast as you can over and over is an amusing task. >.>

And yes, the classic line being changed is a tragedy, but alas I'll try to survive. XP

I too will be picking up this title on the day of release, so I'll be looking for all the little alterations. I wonder if I can preserve the SNES feeling with Gameboy Player for GCN? Only time will tell.

Zeromus_X
02-03-2007, 03:44 AM
[QUOTE=Zeromus_XYes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Four more days. <3

No, I'm not talking about localizatin, I mean just the japanese versions of the various versions of the game.As in, is the japanese script in FFVI advance the same as the original super famicom version of the game?

And while more accurate translations are good, they confuse people who are used top the first translation. While Butz-> Bartz isn't a major change, Tritoch-> Varigalmanda is a very confusing name, and people who don't play the GBA version might not have a clue what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Oh! I see what you mean. Well, to my knowledge, they are indeed the same.

Well, yeah, but this is the point of a relocalization. I don't see why giving things their original names is that big of a deal, it should be expected with a new localization that new names are going to come, and we've known this for quite awhile now. But, given the amount of people flipping out because one line is apparently being changed, I'm not too surprised.

Anyway,

I'm pumped. Bring on the relocalization.

Crossblades
02-03-2007, 03:56 AM
I wonder if I can preserve the SNES feeling with Gameboy Player for GCN? Only time will tell.

Trust me, it will. It has preserved that feeling to me when I play IV, V, the Mario Advances, and Tales of Phantasia:)

*hugs the GB player*

silentenigma
02-03-2007, 04:06 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO! (http://darthno.ytmnd.com/)

Zeromus
02-03-2007, 08:18 PM
No worries. When I get my copy of FFVI Advance I'll have a marker handy and when I get to that scene I'll write "Son of a Submariner!" on my screen and all will be right with the world.
Lol... maybe i'll do the same xD :lol:

Dr. Acula
02-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Although it is indeed saddening how "Son of a Submariner!" was changed, as long as "You spoony bard!" is left in FF4 I shall not sue the company.

Avarice-ness
02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Although it is indeed saddening how "Son of a Submariner!" was changed, as long as "You spoony bard!" is left in FF4 I shall not sue the company.

Yeah but like "You spoony bard!" was like FFIV's catch phrase, in my opinion "Son of a Submariner!" was FFVI's. Why would you change one and not the other. ; ;.

Me and my dad (well I was ranting) about how things from our past are being changed to appease the new age and I ended up ranting about this. He told me to Protest Squeenix. xD Sometimes my dad is so right.
*sigh*

vorpal blade
02-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Yeah but like "You spoony bard!" was like FFIV's catch phrase, in my opinion "Son of a Submariner!" was FFVI's. Why would you change one and not the other. ; ;.

Me and my dad (well I was ranting) about how things from our past are being changed to appease the new age and I ended up ranting about this. He told me to Protest Squeenix. xD Sometimes my dad is so right.
*sigh*

I suppose VII's was "This guy are sick?"

I agree completely. Today's people suck, so why should we change for them?

Fuuinashi
02-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Here it is for you all.

"Son of a submariner!" was changed to..

*Tension*..

.."Son of a sandworm!"

:D

Zeromus_X
02-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Oh. Heh, that's pretty awesome. xD

Now see, this wasn't anything to get all worked up for, was it?

Roto13
02-06-2007, 04:19 AM
You know what line I really hope isn't changed?

"Stealing is wrong."

Fuuinashi
02-06-2007, 05:24 AM
So far, Kefka's lines are even cornier than Woolsey's translation.

The new script is awesome in my opinion.

Jowy
02-06-2007, 05:26 AM
I'll have it in eighteen hours. =/

Take screencaps to tide us over pl0x. :aimkiss:

Avarice-ness
02-06-2007, 06:16 AM
I sure do hope they still lie in Zozo.

Although I doubt that would happen.. Son of a sandworm kind of blind sided me though, I have mix feelings of confusion, happiness, and anger.

Hell hath no fury like me being scorned. :mad2:

Necronopticous
02-06-2007, 06:49 AM
I still like "Son of a crewman of a submerged naval vessel."

Son of a sandworm works. What the Hell.

Fuuinashi
02-06-2007, 06:51 AM
"Emperor Gestahl's stupid orders! Edgar, you pinhead! Why do you have to live out in the middle of a stinking desert? These recon jobs are the pits!"

" Oh? Then enjoy the barbecue!"

" Oh, that one's a tasty morsel! I'd love to get my tentacles around her."

" Once Leo's gone, I can turn this water into a flowing river of poison! Anyone who touches it'll be pushing up daisies! "

" We needn't show mercy to those who side with the Returners, which is good, because I never seem to have any of the stuff. "

" Thou? Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! Thou! "

" Here! Here! Shiny thing here! Where Sabin is, that Mobliz! Cyan stand place river bring you.. Gau stand.. Crescent Mountain! Moon-shape mountain! Shiny thing there! "

" I told you before, my name is NOT "Mr. Thou"! "

Oh and for Avarice..

" Uwaaau~! Uwaaau~!"

*All quotes courtesy of Flaei*

vorpal blade
02-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I was hoping "Son of a sandworm" was a joke:cry:

How much did the PS translation differ from the SNES version?

Jowy
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
" Oh, that one's a tasty morsel! I'd love to get my tentacles around her."

Hot. :tpg:

Flying Mullet
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Only 7 hours till I head out to pick my copy up. :hyper:

Flaei
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
You know what line I really hope isn't changed?

"Stealing is wrong."

(talk to soldier)
Zzz...zzz...
There's a clock key in his pocket...
>(Take it.)
>(Stealing is wrong.)
Obtained Old Clock Key!
(guard jumps on locke)
Soldier: ...more soup...'n...*mumble*...*mumble*... (goes back to sleep)

;)

Zeromus
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Oh... somebody say plz that they didn't changed the Mr. Thou thing :cry:!!!

Flaei
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh... somebody say plz that they didn't changed the Mr. Thou thing :cry:!!!

Cyan: Water under the bridge! Let us not dwell on such things. Sir Gau, I Have a feeling we will get along quite well. Wilt thou join us?
Gau: Oh!!! Gau give you present! Gau give Cyan and Sabin nice present, thanks for food!
Sabin: Right... What manner of rubbish do you suppose he's gonna give us?
Gau: Gau's treasure... shiny, shiny! Shiny, shiny, shiny!!!
Sabin: ...Can anything be THAT shiny?
Gau: Mr. Thou like shiny thing?
Sabin: Mr. Thou's that one -- over THERE! A shiny thing, eh? Locke's gonna be jealous when he hears about this!
Gau: Who Locke? He bad man? Maybe he try steal Gau's treasure!
Sabin: Locke? Well, he's... (gau's spinning) Listen when someone's talking to you!
Cyan: I believe he's trying to tell us something!
Sabin: ...*sigh* Fine... Well, what is it?
(sabin is standing northeast, cyan is standing north, gau is standing south)
Gau: Here! Here! Shiny thing here! Where Sabin is, that Mobliz! Cyan stand place river bring you... Gau stand... Crescent Mountain! Moon-shape mountain! Shiny thing there!
Cyan: Well then, shall we be off? We might as well see what's at this Crescent Mountain of his.
(party starts walking off, sabin stops)
Sabin: *sigh*... Why'd we have to invite someone like him along?
(gau backpedals onto the screen)
Gau: Mr. Thou! Hurry up! We leave you behind!
Sabin: I told you before... My name is NOT "Mr. Thou"! *chases Gau off-screen*

I have a partial transcript up here (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930370&topic=33463005) if you want to read it. I'm not writing out the entire game, though.

Avarice-ness
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh and for Avarice..

" Uwaaau~! Uwaaau~!"

And I'll still say Uwaooo~ till the day I die!

I do like the tentacle thing though, that kind of off sets two bad translations. :razz:

Zeromus
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a partial transcript up here (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930370&topic=33463005) if you want to read it. I'm not writing out the entire game, though.
Oh... thanks... i'll read it...!

I laugh a lot with that dialogue of the shiny thing xD...
What a great character is Gau!... I like at the end of the game, when he throws Celes down on Kefka Tower to show his shortcut exit xD
Have they changed something of the scenes of the end???
I would like to see that...

Ah!... and i forgot!... about the "Sond of a Sandworm" line... now i feel better... at least, that makes sense with the game... cause of the fact of the by-sand traveller castle of Edgar...

By the way...
I agree completely. Today's people suck, so why should we change for them?

I agree completely... =/

!

DarkLadyNyara
02-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm somewhat annoyed with the change. They left "You spoony bard!" , and "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" but not "son of a submariner?" Tsk, tsk.

That said, the tentacle line was great. ;)

Wolf Kanno
02-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Hey, I'm still pissed off they changed my favorite line in FFVI during it's transition from SNES to PS1.

The scene where Locke is on the boat throwing up and spots Shadow. In the SNES version he says "Not a word of this to anyone O shrouded one..."

In the PS1 version I believe he says "Don't you dare tell anyone shrouded one"

Did anyone esle notice this?

Fuuinashi
02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Personally, I believe the heavy and heartfelt reactions over character's lines not being the same are a bit extreme.

When you you take it for what it is though, this script is by large and far well superior to Woolsey's and not japanophiled as most Fan-Translations ; it just sounds right, like what it should have been all along.

It also seems to improve the story and character personalisation. Where Woolsey put random Comic-Relief lines and where fan-translations put dead-serious word for word translations, this script seems to adapt to the character who's speaking and from what I've experienced so far, add more depht of character in dialogues that were originally pretty monotonous.

vorpal blade
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Personally, I believe the heavy and heartfelt reactions over character's lines not being the same are a bit extreme.

How would you like it if they changed Darth Vader's line to "Like, I'm your dad." It doesn't have the same inmpact and it pisses off those who were looking forward to that line. "Heavy and heartfelt reactions" may be a bit much, but dissapointment is definately in order.

Zeromus_X
02-07-2007, 01:18 PM

When you you take it for what it is though, this script is by large and far well superior to Woolsey's and not japanophiled as most Fan-Translations ; it just sounds right, like what it should have been all along.

It also seems to improve the story and character personalisation. Where Woolsey put random Comic-Relief lines and where fan-translations put dead-serious word for word translations, this script seems to adapt to the character who's speaking and from what I've experienced so far, add more depht of character in dialogues that were originally pretty monotonous.

Seriously. A new localization had been announced well before the game was released, why should it even be shocking that a few lines here or there are changed? Shouldn't you be happy that they kept a majority of the lines of Woolsey's script, along with many of his names in the game? I shouldn't be surprised though, considering that so many people had to go crazy over one word of one line being changed. Nothing is sacred, and neither is Woolsey's script. It was great, but it can and is being improved upon.

Dr. Acula
02-08-2007, 07:54 AM
"I, Garland, will knock you all down!"

In the GBA version of FF1, Garland says, "I, Garland, shall cut you all down to size!" What a ripoff.:mad2:

Kenshin IV
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Ugh. Messing with Garland's line is just as bad, if not worse, than if they were to mess with Tellah's.

Zeromus_X
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember Garland still saying 'I will knock you all down!"

Even still, you still understand what he's trying to say, so it's not the biggest deal in the world. >_>

DarkLadyNyara
02-09-2007, 06:03 AM

In the GBA version of FF1, Garland says, "I, Garland, shall cut you all down to size!" What a ripoff.:mad2:

He says the "knock you all down line" in Dawn of Souls. Though not Origins, which kinda sucked. :(

sockmonkey
02-20-2007, 07:54 PM
All your sons of a submariner are belong to us.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself since I'm such a spoony bard):p

kefkadet
02-25-2007, 08:52 AM
That pissed me off when I saw they changed it to "sandworm", but Kefka now telling the soldiers to "Kill them!" when they try to escape Figaro almost made up for it....

blackmage_nuke
02-25-2007, 09:37 AM
It's genius

Dr. Acula
02-26-2007, 06:08 AM

He says the "knock you all down line" in Dawn of Souls. Though not Origins, which kinda sucked. :(

I have DoS... maybe I should check again. Or maybe my version (I use a GBA emulator) was a faulty translation?:confused:

Wolf Kanno
02-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Come now, Kefka has two new wonderful lines now...

Soldier: Kefka sir, what about the civilians?

Kefka: There's a reason why "oppose" rhymes with "dispose"

as well as...

Kefka: This hamlet is a little too cozy and not enough burning. Torch the place!

Sarah Shirato
03-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Oh,brother what next,Missed up a famous line like "there more women out then grain of sand ,I can't keep a track of 'em all!" and throw a line like the one in poke'mon "Too Many of 'em!! I got to catch 'em all!!"

theundeadhero
03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
So far I haven't liked any of these translation changes mentioned at all? Improved? No, they sound worse.