PDA

View Full Version : "This was the darkened Items won't appear."

Croyles
02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know a website with a detailed explanation of the story of FFT? Because im having a hard time understanding the Engrish. The game would be twice as enjoyable if I fully understood whats going on ;)

Thanks in advance if anyone is willing to help!

BG-57
02-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Have you read the game script on gamefaqs.com? It's annotated.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you can ask us as well. What do you want to know?

Croyles
02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the help!

Yeah I'll ask a question. What would Prince Larg or Goltana have gained by killing Princess Ovelia? Delita explained it by that waterfall level, but I didnt understand it.

BG-57
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Basically the Lion War is a war of succession: whomever gets to decide the next ruler of Ivalice gets to control things behind the scenes.

King Omdolia just dies at the beginning of the game, survived by an older daughter (Ovelia), and a younger son (Orinas). The conflict is over who gets to sit on the throne.

Queen Ruvelia is the mother of Orinas, but not Ovelia, so naturally she wants her son to rule. But he's only three, and so Goltana was made regent. Meanwhile, Larg is Ruvelia's brother.

So Larg and Goltana are jockeying for power to control the kingdom. Larg is basically trying to frame Goltana for the kidnapping.

What neither of them know is that their underlings are plotting a third outcome, with the blessings of Glabados church. Which is going to be double-crossed. Which is a whole different ball of wax.

Croyles
02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh wait Goltana is already regent? I thought Larg and Goltana were fighting over Regency/the throne while neither of them had it, because King Omdalia didnt leave an heir...

BG-57
02-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Good point, it may be Larg. If Larg is appointed regent and puts Orinas on the throne, then Goltana would despute both actions.

Ovelia is the older child, but presumably her mother was the Queen before Ruvelia. So her stepmother has a motive for wanting to get rid of her, so her son could rule instead. Larg, being the uncle, would also want this.

Meanwhile, Goltana would want Ovelia alive and unharmed, since that would weaken Larg's claim on the throne. So he would have the motive to kidnap Ovelia.