PDA

View Full Version : How are FFXII and Tactics alike?

FFI Fan
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Hey all,
I am a newbie here, so please don't flame me just yet. I checked the board and I don't think I saw any topics like this so here it goes.
I have been playing FFXII for sometime now, and is there any connection between the two?

Renmiri
02-03-2007, 01:52 AM
They both take place on Ivalice at different periods in history

See more here

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ivalice

NeoCracker
02-03-2007, 08:11 AM
They Both have Balthier, Well, at least the PSP Tactics Does.

Roto13
02-03-2007, 03:17 PM
They both take place on Ivalice at different periods in history

What? No. They're not the same Ivalice.

McLovin'
02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah they are. FFT takes place west of Ordallia while FF12 takes place east of Ordallia.

http://www.uploadimage.info/images/80317ivalice.JPG Something like that I assume.

Also this is a timeline from the Ultimania book:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Ivalice-time.jpg

The timeline of Ivalice in Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII, provided by Square Enix's official guide book, Final Fantasy XII Ultimania Omega. Translation is as follows:

Final Fantasy XII History (brown)

* 1st Upper Box: Unknown Era - The Occuria reside in Giruvegan.
* 2nd Upper Box: Old Valendia 1 - Establishment of the Galtean Federation.
* 3rd Upper Box: Old Valendia 394 - The Galtean Federation breaks apart.
* 4th Upper Box: Old Valendia 706 - Final Fantasy XII takes place.
* 5th Upper Box: Several decades after Old Valendia 706 - Female St Ajora establishes a new religion.

Grey box: Are they the same person?

Final Fantasy Tactics History (blue)

* 1st Lower Box: Unknown Era - 12 Knights kills a demon, and rescues Ivalice.
* 2nd Lower Box: 1200 years before the Middle Ages - St Ajora establishes the Glabados religion.
* 3rd Lower Box: Unknown Era - A catastrophe befalls the civilization at this age.
* 4th Lower Box: Middle Ages - Final Fantasy Tactics takes place.

So FFT is like 1000+ years after FF12.

Roto13
02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
O_o'

Zeromus_X
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM
The magic of Yasumi Matsuno.

FFI Fan
02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Nice map up there! That seemed to expain a lot. However, the map didn't seem to explain when the people of Ivalice lost the ability to form noses on their faces like they did in FFT. :D
Well, anyway, I know this may be off topic, but did anyone see any references in FF XII to FFT? Like is there any mention of of Ramza or Delitia in the game. I figured there might be since their is so much detail in the Besitary sections. If there is any, could someone tell me where to find them.

McLovin'
02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
there wouldn't be because Delitia and Ramza weren't alive during FFXII's time period.

The only clear reference is at the end when Balthier mentions Bervenia and Glabados.

Renmiri
02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
there wouldn't be because Delitia and Ramza weren't alive during FFXII's time period.

The only clear reference is at the end when Balthier mentions Bervenia and Glabados.

You speak japanese ?

:love: :love: :love:

Gilthanes
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
All the history talked about in Gaug makes sense now :cool:

Lexy
02-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Two really dorky things I noticed: A "Mameco the Pug" is mentioned on a secondary page of a bestiary entry in XII, and it reminded me of Mameko the travelling artist from the "Regain Ability!" job from Tactics.
The job "ultimate atavism" in Tactics involves a Marlboro named Carrot, and one of the marks in XII is a marlboro named Carrot.
Nothing ground-breaking, to be sure, but I thought it was neat.

BG-57
02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Phonetically, there's no distinction between Mameco and Mameko. So it could very well be the same name.

I'm happy that Carrot is making the rounds. :)

Here (http://fanart.eyesonff.com/showphoto.php?photo=237&cat=500&ppuser=4610&sl=b)is most likely the only fan-art of that lovable Morbol.

Renmiri
02-09-2007, 09:11 PM
My Ultimania FFXII has 3-4 pages (in japanese) about FFT, including this one:

http://ffproject.net/forumwiki/images/ScanImage129.jpg

BG-57
02-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I just thumbed through a FFXII strategy guide and I realized that the Espers are Lucavi!

Cuchulainn = Queklain (Draclau's Lucavi)
Belias = Velius (Wiegraf's Lucavi)
Zalera = Zalera (Elmdor's Lucavi)
Adrammelech = Adramelk (Dycedarg's Lucavi)
Hashmal = Hashmalum (Vormav's Lucavi)
Ultima = Altima (Alma's Lucavi)
Zodiark = Zodiac (Elidib's Summon)

The other Espers may represent the other, unnamed Lucavi in FFT:

Mateus
Shemhazai
Exodus
Zeromus
Famfrit
Chaos

Although many share names with bosses from other FFs, like X-Death and Chaos.

This makes sense since there were thirteen Lucavi, if you include Serpentarius.

On a side note, they match up with the Zodiac alignments and stones, which long confirms my suspicions that Hashmalum is associated with the Leo stone, while Altima is associated with the Virgo stone. You never actually get to see those stones because you get them right after the final battle.

McLovin'
02-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Those espers have been busy mastermining a scheme to make a new Final Fantasy. :p

(has anyone else noticed all FF final battles have to do with a summon or a summon plays a large role in the storyline? 1,4,5 have bad ass espers. FF6 has them play a large role in the story. Nothing in FF7. FF8 there was Griever and they played a role in the story. FF9 was all about them summons and so was FF10. Nothing in FFx-2. And 12 didn't have them play as important roles but they were storyline bosses.)

Eh just something I realized. :D

BG-57
02-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Wait, does FF1 even have summons? Although even with FFs without Summons, there are monsters or bosses that make appearances as Summons in other FFs.

I just realized that there's an Unexplored Land called the Shrine of Chaos. Oo...spooky. :eek:

UltimateSpamGrover
02-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Summons didn't appear until FFIII, though Bahamut appeared in FFI and Leviathan in FFII

NoMoreFF7sequels
02-19-2007, 12:41 AM
DON'T FORGET! It clearly states in FFT that in the past machinery was powered by magic, NETHICITE?!:eek:. Also remember how in FF12 people get controlled by the nethicite, OMG like FFT!

Also, if u put FFT's map(in perportion to FF12's) next to FF12's they match up.

One more thing. The map up there explains a lot, but wtf happened to the seeq, nu mou, bangaa, and vierra. Also, if u recall. It says in FFt that Ajora was a simple spy who got caught up with big problems*:skull::skull::skull::skull: happens/ FFT background story* CHURCH makes new religon as Ajora being the prophet so the people will believe everything the church says and not know what really happened to Ivalice.Also, Does Mist have anything to do with the Lucavi? It is also possible Ajora was one of those spy people in Archades and got caught up with big problems, and after everything was solved a church was founded so the people of Ivalice never knew what REALLY happened. That would make since if Mist had a connection with Lucavi, and Archadia has been smurfing with mist/nethicite.

One more thing. The map up there explains a lot, but wtf happened to the seeq, nu mou, bangaa, and vierra. Also, if u recall. It says in FFt that Ajora was a simple spy who got caught up with big problems*:skull::skull::skull::skull: happens/ FFT background story* CHURCH makes new religon as Ajora being the prophet so the people will believe everything the church says and not know what really happened to Ivalice.Also, Does Mist have anything to do with the Lucavi? It is also possible Ajora was one of those spy people in Archades and got caught up with big problems, and after everything was solved a church was founded so the people of Ivalice never knew what REALLY happened. That would make since if Mist had a connection with Lucavi, and Archadia has been smurfing with mist/nethicite.

by map i meant ur timeline.

Shlup
02-19-2007, 01:49 AM
One post at a time, boss. *merges*

Shotgunnova
02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, moogles were extinct in FFT, so maybe the others went the way of the dodo as well (or migrated away). Then again, I'll bet there's going to be a huge disparity in the timelines, especially since Vagrant Story seems to have a connection as well.

Proxy
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I love you guys. <3
Ever since I found out XII was taking place in Ivalice, I was waiting to hear if there were going to be names mentioned, from Tactics.
However Magus, I don't think the timeline is quite like 1000+ years, due to the fact that Balthier pops up in FFT:The Lion War. Unless ofcourse that's his father, or some BS like that.
Where does Tactics Advanced fit into all this? And Vagrant Story...After XII? Before tactics and XII? interesting stuff.

Maybe this should be moved to General Square?

kawakami Gensai
04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Well Montblanc from FFTA appears in ff12 so FFTA must occur within a short period of time from ff12

Proxy
04-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Since Balthier shows up, I do have a feeling that the 2 stories are taking place at generally the same time.

Auragaea
04-24-2007, 11:18 PM
One more thing of interest. Technology, such as airships, are no longer around in FFT, because the creators of those, the Moogles, are extinct.

Elpizo
04-25-2007, 06:44 AM
If I remember correctly, most people asume the timeline to be somewhat like this:

FF XII => FF XII: RW => FFT => Vagrant Story => FFTA => FFTA2 (rumored to take place 20 years after FFTA)

I actually find it great that there's at least some sort of 'series' in the FF series that together builds up one timeline/universe. Matsuno was indeed briliant.

Bolivar
04-26-2007, 03:09 AM
If I remember correctly, most people asume the timeline to be somewhat like this:

FF XII => FF XII: RW => FFT => Vagrant Story => FFTA => FFTA2 (rumored to take place 20 years after FFTA)

I actually find it great that there's at least some sort of 'series' in the FF series that together builds up one timeline/universe. Matsuno was indeed briliant.

that looks about right except i would expect TA (and TA2 then I guess) to take place before XII, as it had Montblanc before his clan was famous and Giza Plains.

McLovin'
04-30-2007, 12:14 PM
The whole Balthier appears in FFT could be time travel. Much like what Cloud did. :p

BG-57
04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Although certainly Cloud traveled through space I didn't see anything that indicated he traveled in time.

NeoCracker
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Its nothing more than a Cameo to excite FF XII Fans into picking the Game up. Most likely nothing that effects the Story.

TRANS_AM409
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
This is all very enlightening. I wonder if even more of ff titles actually take place in ivalice such as VII since cloud is in fft?

McLovin'
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I personally think that FF6 took place in Ivalice...or at least the story of FF12 may have come out of it.

.:kerrod:.
05-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Erm, im pretty sure FF7 doesnt take place in Ivalice, seeing as Ivalice is a country, not a freakin' planet :p Another reason it's impossible is you can travel the world (and the seven seas, everybody's lookin for something...Eurythmics anyone?) and there is nothing to suggest there was ever more than one race living there. I dont like how the other 4 species of...people...are absent in tactics, but suddenly appear in the rest of the games...and what is a seeq? all i know of is: Human, Viera, Bangaa, Moogle and Nu Mou(sp?).

BG-57
08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I just realized something. The history of Tactics mentions that St. Ajora was betrayed and executed by priests of Fara. The FFXII beastiary includes some side information about Ajora founding a monotheistic religion in opposition to the polytheistic religion of Faram (led by the Grand Kiltias), which is on the wane.

Fara=Faram

McLovin'
08-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Erm, im pretty sure FF7 doesnt take place in Ivalice, seeing as Ivalice is a country, not a freakin' planet :p Another reason it's impossible is you can travel the world (and the seven seas, everybody's lookin for something...Eurythmics anyone?) and there is nothing to suggest there was ever more than one race living there. I dont like how the other 4 species of...people...are absent in tactics, but suddenly appear in the rest of the games...and what is a seeq? all i know of is: Human, Viera, Bangaa, Moogle and Nu Mou(sp?).

who said anything about ff7?

BG-57
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
If anything Cloud's visit indicates that there are at least three distinct worlds that the FF series takes place on: Ivalice, Spira, and the Planet.

McLovin'
08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately, the game dudes said that all FF's take place on Gaia except for FF10.

and tactics as well.

BG-57
08-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Could you be more specific?

McLovin'
08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I can't actually since I don't know what to search for to find the article. I know its in one of threads buried in General FF where one of the Square staff says (summary): "All FF's take place on the world of Gaia." "Spira is another planet and in later generations people 'flew into space' and discovered the FF7 world which is Gaia too I guess."

He didn't talk about Ivalice I don't think so I assume it is a separate world.

BG-57
08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh that thread. Yeah, I posted in it, but Tactics makes it pretty clear that Cloud travelled through space. No mention of time travel, which would be required if Ivalice and the Planet of FFVII are the same place:

Mustadio's House
----------------

[Ramza prepares to insert the holy stone, they received from
the robot, inside the weird machine Besrodio found.]

Mustadio: It can't 'morph', can it?

Ramza: I guess you'll find out.

[Ramza inserts the holy stone inside the machine.]

Mustadio: Here he comes!

[Light shines on the machine from above. From the mist a man
appears.]

Summoned young man: What happened? Last thing I remember was
getting caught in the current.

Besrodio: Hum, I've read about this before. It could be some
forwarding device.

Mustadio: Forwarding device?

Besrodio: You know, to travel to other worlds, different
space.

Ramza: So, he came from other space?

Besrodio: Maybe. Look at his clothes, Quite unusual.

Summoned young man: My....name's Cloud. yes...Cloud.

Ramza: I'm Ramza. They're my friends....

Cloud: I don't care about names. What I need is a battlefield.
Yeah...that's it...I'm a member of SOLDIER.

Mustadio: What a jerk!

[A strange sound starts to ring in Cloud's head.]

Cloud: What's this? My fingers are tingling... My
eyes...they're burning... Stop...stop it.... phiros...

Mustadio: He's strange.

Cloud: I must go...must go to that place...

[Cloud runs out.]

Mustadio: Who was he?

[The party runs after Cloud.]