PDA

View Full Version : Windows can't even open windows

Roto13
02-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Whenever I open my downloads folder for BitComet, it crashes. It also sometimes happens when I open my recycle bin. I run a virus scan every night so it's not that. I've cleaned out the folder and then deleted it, but that hasn't helped. What the hell?

rubah
02-03-2007, 05:00 AM
reinstall xp? :D

Roto13
02-03-2007, 05:09 AM
I'll burn my computer first. :P

crono_logical
02-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Burn it then :p

Explorer certainly shouldn't be causing DEP faults of all things, unless you've gone installed some dodgy toolbar/malware/other strange hook that's causing it whenever you open such a window :p If you'd prefer spend the hours/days trying to fix it rather than the one hour reinstalling the operating system, then do the usual virus scan/spyware scan etc stuff :p

Roto13
02-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I did all that. Isn't reinstalling windows a big hassle, though? I've never done it.

Iceglow
02-04-2007, 05:11 PM
re-installing windows is not too much hassle. What is is often the sheer volume of downloads to do from windows update to get to service pack 2 then to download that and to install that and the updates afterwards. I would just go for the installation though give yourself about 4 hours to do this however. Also if you happen to have one of the rare but out there XPSP2 discs then installing that immediately after windows is also advisable if not then set up your net connection and go for it with windows update.

Shoeberto
02-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Not really, if you have backups of your data and know what programs you need to reinstall.

I would assume that there's a file in your BitComet download folder that's giving you the problem. It may sound weird, but open up something like Word or Winamp and navigate to it and see if it crashes or not. Then look around to see whatever file you've downloaded most recently and remove it. This might work.

rubah
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
pfft to sp2, it holds no charms for me.

to reinstall vista, dont' you have to install xp first, or did you obtain a non-upgrade version :p

Roto13
02-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Vista is the devil. I'm sticking with XP. :P

I would assume that there's a file in your BitComet download folder that's giving you the problem. It may sound weird, but open up something like Word or Winamp and navigate to it and see if it crashes or not. Then look around to see whatever file you've downloaded most recently and remove it. This might work.

I took everything out of that folder already and it's still happening. :/

I'm notoriously lazy. I think I'll just stick with what I've been doing. Get in there quick, do whatever I want to do, then get out before my computer bursts into flames. Yay for bandaid solutions!

Roto13
03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
I fixed it by uninstalling my codec pack. No reinstalling XP needed.

None of you should ever be doctors. :P

Baloki
03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Had I had a chance to respond I would have blamed Codacs or your theme pack :p

Discord
03-19-2007, 11:51 PM

Agreed, the shell looks dead suspicious.:D

Rostum
03-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Roto, I had the same problem, want to know what fixed it? Taking off the customized Windows XP themes. :p

Roto13
03-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Well I didn't need to so nyah. ;P

Rostum
03-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Well, boo! D;

Moon Rabbits
03-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I did all that. Isn't reinstalling windows a big hassle, though? I've never done it.

YESSUUUUUUUUUUU~

pfft to sp2, it holds no charms for me.

to reinstall vista, dont' you have to install xp first, or did you obtain a non-upgrade version :p

Boo to Sp2~

YESSUUUUUUUUUUU~