PDA

View Full Version : Riding Down a Hill

Evastio
02-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Don't ask me what I was doing that inspired me to make this thread. :(

So if you were riding down a hill on a shopping cart, wheelbarrow, wagon, etc. (basically anything unstable on wheels that you can jump out of) what would you do? Would you jump off even though you're going really fast? Would you try to steer your vehicle risking the chance of it getting tilted over and crashing? Would you stay on and hope that it would slow down? Would you do something else?

escobert
02-05-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd steer to grass and hope it slowed me down and I could balance the cart.

Agrias
02-05-2007, 04:04 AM
i'd jump out, i choose life, HAHA!

Evastio
02-05-2007, 04:05 AM
You sure that would be safe?

You could end up with some serious skull or spinal damage if you land roughly.

Agrias
02-05-2007, 04:19 AM
You sure that would be safe?

You could end up with some serious skull or spinal damage if you land roughly.

this is true.....i choose the hidden option of growing wings and floating up and out of the buggy! WOO

Yar
02-05-2007, 04:21 AM
If I saw nothing soft to hit, I would crash the medium as soon as possible. Maybe throw my weight to one side to make in fall over.

Xaven
02-05-2007, 04:25 AM
I know I'd end up staying for the ride seeing as how I would be too scared to move. If I could move, I'd tell everyone to move out of the way. What a great Kodak moment as well.

oddler
02-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Try to slow down by sticking your hands into the ground? That would have to hurt. I voted to make sure that someone caught it on camera.

Martyr
02-05-2007, 04:31 AM

I support a moron riding down a hill's right to choose.

kikimm
02-05-2007, 04:41 AM
I would totally scream. Actually, I'd either scream or be completely silent. Probably the latter. Why the fuck am I on this thing anyways? I would never do that. But I know, this is just a thread, and I'll suspend my disbelief. I'd probably purposely try to crash too. Anything to get out, and not get hit by a car or something. I'll take my chances with the ground.

XxSephirothxX
02-05-2007, 04:46 AM
When I was about 11 or so, I went sledding one winter when we had an usually good freeze. But I didn't own a sled, so my dad had fashioned one out of a piece of scrap roofing metal. :p Anyway, after hurtling down the hill, I realized that I was pointed straight at a rather deep ditch, and there was a fallen tree crumpled in it with rather sharp pieces of wood pointed in every direction.

And being on a rather uncontrollable piece of metal, I realized I had two options: jump off, or sit there and do nothing like an idiot. I did the latter, and luckily stopped about six inches from the ditch. I imagine I would do the same thing in this situation. Well, I might try to steer whatever I was in, but I'd probably end up flipping it and faceplanting.

Rase
02-05-2007, 05:01 AM
When I was about 11 or so, I went sledding one winter when we had an usually good freeze. But I didn't own a sled, so my dad had fashioned one out of a piece of scrap roofing metal. :p Anyway, after hurtling down the hill, I realized that I was pointed straight at a rather deep ditch, and there was a fallen tree crumpled in it with rather sharp pieces of wood pointed in every direction.

And being on a rather uncontrollable piece of metal, I realized I had two options: jump off, or sit there and do nothing like an idiot. I did the latter, and luckily stopped about six inches from the ditch.
I had a similar experience, only I had an actual sled and I ditched it as soon as I realized my options.

As for the thread, it really would depend on what I was in. Shopping cart = stay along for the ride. Wagon = ditch out before it got too fast. Other = depends on the height off of the ground and the height of the sides. It also depends on what exactly I'm going to be crashing onto. Grass = Fine. Gravel = Crap.

Yuffie514
02-05-2007, 06:53 AM
jump off because it's better than crashing, if that's the case.

Enjolras
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
One of the steepest streets in the world is in a city called Dunedin in my country, and a girl did exactly that, in a wheelie bin. Unfortunately, it was the last thing she ever did.
So whatever she did (I think they said all she did was scream), it was the wrong thing.

NorthernChaosGod
02-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I would stay on, make sure someone got it on camera, and then try and crash into people. :bigsmile:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Go faster

Cezanzo
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I would just stay on, scream, laugh, and have fun.:D

No.78
02-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I would probably stay on, I'd be too, like "OMYGOD WAAAHHH" too jump out, I may try to slow it down with arms... And if there were people, I'd tell them to run away! I'd then brace for impact :P

Iceglow
02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
now this is again something very much determined by the veichle I was on. I have done something similar to this on Barnet Hill in a shopping trolley (3 mile long straight stretch of road, very big hill. Infact the highest point between London and York) I stayed in yelling at people to move their ass out of my way and all the while shifting my weight in an effort to steer it. I found by slamming my weight to the side violently in the trolley I could make it turn 45 degrees in that direction...this however did not let me steer the trolley. My ride came to an end after almost getting hit by a car and crashing in to a curb/kerb (the granite slabs they use to edge the roads with) I smashed in to that and got thrown from the trolley it hurt like hell to land on the pavement still I went all floppy in the crash for some reason and although it looked bad it didn't do any serious harm, minor concussion and cuts with a lot of bruising was all I sustained apparently the driver that almost killed me had to go hospital for shock. I had been thrown down the hill in the trolley by some idiots who thought it would be funny to throw a guy in black in a shopping trolley down a major road (it used to be the A1 btw till they re-routed that) at night.

Nominus Experse
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I'd be sure the cart fell apart whilst speeding downhill, and then subsequently crash into a tree - impaling me firmly upon said tree due to a broken part of the cart.

I wold then laugh and then take a very long, needed nap.

Xander
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I'd crouch down in it, curl up in a ball and hope I lived. Well I just wouldnt get in something in the first place probably :D *wimp*

Bunny
02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I need more information to properly assess the situation. How steep is this hill? What exactly am I riding in? What is the purpose of riding down this hill? Am I doing it for fun? No reason? Science? Am I wearing any sort of protective gear during this trip? What sort of object is waiting for me at the bottom of the hill?

Depending on the grade of the hill, I am either going very slow or very fast. This is detrimental in my decision to ride it out or flee from whatever I am riding in. If I am riding in something that has a covering, I would wait it out as opposed to if I was riding in something like a shopping cart, which has no protection offered. If this was for fun, I may ride it out depending on the other factors that are going into this.

The last two sort of tie in together. Were I wearing some sort of protective padding and the end of this hill was, say, a sharp turn with a curb that I was going to hit, I would wait it out and try my luck at landing in the least likely way to injure myself. If I weren't wearing padding and the hill just went straight into, say, a road, I would ride it out. Now, if I had no padding and it was a curb, I would also wait it out because cement is rougher than dirt and grass, more likely to cause injuries.

Which reminds me, what type of hill is it? Street-type, grass-type, or just a dirt hill?

Vermachtnis
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
I would have a deep philisophical conversation with my stuffed tiger and the we'd hit a ramp and go in the lake.

Old Manus
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
'This would be really good for my LJ'

Psychotic
02-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Hang ten, dude.

Chloe.
02-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Jump off, scream and make sure someone got it on camera. :bigsmile:

Hambone
02-06-2007, 01:46 AM
I'd stay in there and scream. I'd be too traumatized to do anything else. :(