PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's Comeback

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-05-2007, 05:19 AM
What do you think of Nintendo's success with the Wii so far? I think it's amazing because if I told you five years ago that Nintendo would make a comeback in 2006 you'd gawk at me and say "What the hell are you talking about?"

Yar
02-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Nintendo's made a comeback?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Well when was the last time Nintendo had a strong console launch?

Shlup
02-05-2007, 06:19 AM
When was the last time Nintendo didn't have a strong console launch?

ljkkjlcm9
02-05-2007, 06:27 AM
http://www.gamecubicle.com/specials-gamecube_sales_north_america_2001.htm

quote from the article
"With an eye on next year, Nintendo estimates international sales will total 4,500,000 by March 2002."

In january, roughly that amount of Wii systems were already sold.

THE JACKEL

Sephex
02-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Great. Another stupid ****ing thread that will do nothing but bring out the worst in everyone. Let me save you all some trouble before this thread eventually turns this way.

Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
My console can beat up your console.
Useless, irrelevant facts.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.
Because I say it, it's true.
Everyone must think like me.

There. No need to read the rest of the thread.

Yar
02-05-2007, 06:42 AM
No, I was just saying that it is still rather too early to say they've "comeback". It may be a year or so before we can truly say that, because there aren't enough games or customers for the Big Three yet to make that judgment.

KentaRawr!
02-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't know if it's a comback just yet, as I was not introduced to the internetz until a certain age, AFTER the GCN's launch, and all system launches before it. So for all I know, the N64 and GCN could have had similar launches, but even though they sold enough to support the company and justify another system to be made, their reputations weren't the best this side of the internet, and their 3rd party was somewhat weak. IF they did have good launches, which I can only for the N64 since I haven't read much about the GCN's launch, then what will stop the Wii from getting similar reputations to those systems?

o.o

NeoCracker
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
It seems like a comeback so far. Chances are all releases here a selling out for the next month or two. Unless I post outside the mall earlier in the morning just before opening I probably can't get one soon. And this is Just Idaho, I have no Idea ow back places Like new york or California must be.

Dreddz
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Nintendo only made a come back by added gimmics to their consoles, and showing them off in a way that fools people into thinking there not gimmics at all. Bottom line is, they are. Coupled with Nintendo's stupid comments that its the better way to play video games, and how they are bringing the next generation, not any of the other companies. Its pathetic.
What Nintendo need to realise is that it isnt the hardware that was there problem, it was their software. Which isnt showing any improvement in there new consoles. Thus, people can only be fooled for so long until they figure out they've bought another Gamecube with a new controller.

As for the DS, same applys. Its just the dominency of the handheld market before it that pushes it along.

I dont buy what Nintendo is doing at all. If I didnt like Mario on their previous consoles, Im not going to like it now.

NeoCracker
02-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Well yeah, they are going to say its better. Its called advertising. You don't see any company saying that their product is inferior to someone elses, thats horrible marketing. And have you actually tried some of teh new games? I hate most Racing Games, but with the new control its a blast. You say its a gimmick, but who cares? Its a fun Gimmick. It does offer a new way to play games, as did the DS.

Bunny
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Great. Another stupid ****ing thread that will do nothing but bring out the worst in everyone. Let me save you all some trouble before this thread eventually turns this way.

Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.

You are a very angry person.

No.78
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM

Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.

You are a very angry person.

But it's true...

JKTrix
02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
What Nintendo need to realise is that it isnt the hardware that was there problem, it was their software.

This is true in two ways. As you mentioned, sometimes their games aren't all that different. Mario is Mario, and it's unlikely to change. People who are tired of Mario won't buy it, but folks who like the franchise know what to expect and will likely enjoy it.

Then there's the fact that Nintendo games often overshadow 3rd party games on their system. No game on a Nintendo system can compete with a Mario or a Zelda, regardless of either game's quality. Historically, people who buy Nintendo systems buy it for those games. This (along with other big reasons) is what scared developers away during the N64 era and carried over into the Gamecube. Now, the biggest game developer in the world is willing to accept that fact and strive to be "Number 2". (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/ea-pledges-to-be-nintendos-2-spore-ds-confirmed/)

I think the Wii has tremendous opportunity to bring a lot of 3rd party games to the system. The fact still remains that Nintendo Games will likely continue to be the 'Holy Grail', but if Nintendo is successful in expanding the market to former 'non-gamers' there would be more potential buyers. A lot of developers are intrigued by the Wii's 'gimmick' which is drawing them in already, and I'm sure the fact that Wii is easier/cheaper to develop for is very attractive.

So, the Wii will likely see a lot of gimmicky games and simple stuff for the 'new gamers'. I think we all can agree on that. The new trend is to port games over from the PS2 (and the PSP o_O), so we'll see quite a few of those too. We will see some original, quality games coming in the future that would cater more to a less casual gamer, but those take time. A company can probably pump out 5 or more 'party' games in the same time it would take to develop a 'real' game. If Nintendo's momentum keeps up and more people will buy their games, hopefully it will give the 3rd parties some incentive to bring out some 'real games'.

Roto13
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
If the DS was a gimmick, the effect would have worn off by now.

Shoeberto
02-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.

I'm almost inclined to close this thread because Sephex is so right on this.

Frozen Phantom
02-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.

QFT

NINJA_Ryu
02-06-2007, 02:16 AM
What Nintendo need to realise is that it isnt the hardware that was there problem, it was their software.

This is true in two ways. As you mentioned, sometimes their games aren't all that different. Mario is Mario, and it's unlikely to change. People who are tired of Mario won't buy it, but folks who like the franchise know what to expect and will likely enjoy it.

Then there's the fact that Nintendo games often overshadow 3rd party games on their system. No game on a Nintendo system can compete with a Mario or a Zelda, regardless of either game's quality. Historically, people who buy Nintendo systems buy it for those games. This (along with other big reasons) is what scared developers away during the N64 era and carried over into the Gamecube. Now, the biggest game developer in the world is willing to accept that fact and strive to be "Number 2". (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/ea-pledges-to-be-nintendos-2-spore-ds-confirmed/)

I think the Wii has tremendous opportunity to bring a lot of 3rd party games to the system. The fact still remains that Nintendo Games will likely continue to be the 'Holy Grail', but if Nintendo is successful in expanding the market to former 'non-gamers' there would be more potential buyers. A lot of developers are intrigued by the Wii's 'gimmick' which is drawing them in already, and I'm sure the fact that Wii is easier/cheaper to develop for is very attractive.

So, the Wii will likely see a lot of gimmicky games and simple stuff for the 'new gamers'. I think we all can agree on that. The new trend is to port games over from the PS2 (and the PSP o_O), so we'll see quite a few of those too. We will see some original, quality games coming in the future that would cater more to a less casual gamer, but those take time. A company can probably pump out 5 or more 'party' games in the same time it would take to develop a 'real' game. If Nintendo's momentum keeps up and more people will buy their games, hopefully it will give the 3rd parties some incentive to bring out some 'real games'.

excuse the language, but holy mother of f***ing awesomness!!!!!!!

Spore, for the DS!!!! Wee!!!!

escobert
02-06-2007, 04:33 AM
The DS kicked everythings ass so yes.

Slicksword45
02-06-2007, 05:03 AM
How will Spore go on the DS. It's to... Internet-ey...

Now on topic, You can't realy say they made a comeback untill we see everything. I want more non-suckey game. (Zelda being the only good one....) O well. I'll wate till 2008 before I think if they make a comeback or not :)

fire_of_avalon
02-06-2007, 05:38 AM
You have to have experienced a failure before you can make a comeback. I don't see what Nintendo has failed at.

JKTrix
02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
How will Spore go on the DS. It's to... Internet-ey...

Now on topic, You can't realy say they made a comeback untill we see everything. I want more non-suckey game. (Zelda being the only good one....) O well. I'll wate till 2008 before I think if they make a comeback or not :)

The DS is 'Internet-ey'. Spore's creator has expressed interest in bringing the game across several platforms including 'next-gens' and cel phones. It's probably something that can be scaled proportionately to the system. Sim City is coming soon on the DS.

Zelda isn't the only 'good' game on the Wii, it's simply the highest profile--which I addressed in my previous post. Nintendo's big franchises will always be the first thing the average observer sees, and people would just say 'Wii only has Zelda'.

And like foa said they haven't really failed. Though a 'comeback' in this case would refer to them regaining popularity and market share, rather than returning from a failure.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
did nintendo suck before?

escobert
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The 64 and GC didn't do so well did they? I mean not horribly but not what they would have liked.

Roto13
02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
The 64 and GC didn't do so well did they? I mean not horribly but not what they would have liked.

Yeah, they made money and everything, but they really didn't do as well as Nintendo had been anticipating.

ljkkjlcm9
02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
well in all honesty, nintendo made money on every gamecube they sold, it took Sony 5 years before they turned profit on PS2. So while they had a lower market share, they did make a lot of money.

THE JACKEL

escobert
02-06-2007, 05:06 PM
But, they have a higher market now with the DS killing every system out there and the Wii is doing pretty well.

JKTrix
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
The Mario says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martinet) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) will be amazing. Was gonna make a separate topic for this, but it serves better in here.

Mario Galaxy is going to be the most exciting, amazing fun ever. I played a little preview of it and I had goosebumps of joy and was giddy with laughter. The new Wii controller has so much versatility and makes possible all these things you could never imagine doing before.

It is like magic. This game takes it to a completely different level for Mario. I’m not allowed to reveal yet what I say in Galaxy but I can tell you there will be some surprises.

(Source: Kotaku and original source (http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/super_mario_galaxy_rocks_says_mario_himself.php))

My 3D mario experience hasn't been too spiffy. I didn't have a 64 and the DS version I got for free didn't impress me, and neither did Sunshine. But I keep hearing from people who managed to play the demo of Galaxy that it is great. I couldn't really tell that from the little bits of video I've seen, but I guess 'playing is believing'.

He also mentions 'surprises' when talking about what he/Mario says in the game. Is he going to rap or something? Or perhaps there will be more 'story' to the game?

Mario is still a very powerful franchise. Despite the lukewarm critical reception, Sunshine is the 3rd top-selling game on the GC (and the top 2 feature Mario in one form or another). Mario Galaxy will move systems when it comes out, as there are a lot of not-quite-a-fanboy Nintendo fans who are waiting for more games.

chrisfffan
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
its great to see Nintendo back i loved playing super mario and zelda ages ago but once the ps3 comes along its game over!

Yamaneko
02-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I will not buy a Wii until it can prove itself like the DS. I don't want every game to be some quirky Wiimote-crazed adventure. We also need to see some mature titles. And for goodness sake, they need to get rid of the awful Friend's Code system. If they don't they will fail in the online sector once again.

Roto13
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The PS3 came along in November around the same time as the Wii and the game is far from over for Nintendo.

chrisfffan
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
The PS3 came along in November around the same time as the Wii and the game is far from over for Nintendo.

i was talking about in the uk! the PS3 isn’t out yet but what i have seen of it, its head and shoulders over anything else.

JKTrix
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
And for goodness sake, they need to get rid of the awful Friend's Code system. If they don't they will fail in the online sector once again.

Fully agree. And so does Squenix.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/01/square-enix-blames-wii-friend-codes-for-lack-of-ffxi/

Nintendo is really clumsy with regards to their online system. Based on the DS setup, if you don't want to play with random people you need to put the friend code in on both sides. Some games don't even have a 'random people' mode, and you both absolutely need to put codes in for each individual game. It's not friendly at all.

Sadly I don't think this is a priority for them, so it would probably take a while for it to be 'fixed'.

Does the PS3 have a 'friends' system? How does that work?

Khaotic
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I have a Wii, it was great and all for the first couple weeks, but now I regret buying it seeing as I never play it. I'm always playing my PS2, which, can also play DVDs, which I use that for as well.

I wouldn't say they had a successful launch, yes, it was probably the best out of all 3 systems, but thats only because its an entire new thing, and everyone wanted to try it out. Same with me. The fad will die, and people will get bored of it.

Dr Aum
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't really care whether Nintendo "wins" the console wars or not. There are a number of games scheduled for release on the Wii that appeal to me greatly, and therefore I am glad to have one. I couldn't care less whether or not the PS3 ends up selling more systems/games as long as I can enjoy the Wii.

Madame Adequate
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
You have to have experienced a failure before you can make a comeback. I don't see what Nintendo has failed at.

That'd be the N64 and GameCube. Sony were wetting themselves laughing.

However, I have to commend Nintendo. I'm not a big fan but they have done exactly what they set out to do, and contrary to my expectations they've sold the Wii exactly how they wanted to, to a whole lot of people. I've heard a fair number of people say that the Wii is fantastic, mostly people who don't play games or only play one or two franchises.

ljkkjlcm9
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
you can call the n64 and GC failures, but they still made plenty of money off of them.

If you're not playing the Wii anymore, you obviously never played with friends, which is actually what it's mostly intended for. Getting 4 people for Wii tennis is insane. Sadly, they don't have many remotes for sale anywhere. And there are tons of games coming out later this year that I really want. I'm playing some GC games I never finished right now, like Fire Emblem.

THE JACKEL

Slicksword45
02-07-2007, 02:49 AM
If you're not playing the Wii anymore, you obviously never played with friends, which is actually what it's mostly intended for. Getting 4 people for Wii tennis is insane. Sadly, they don't have many remotes for sale anywhere.

Now could you explain this logic to my friend who refuses to buy a second wiimote :mad:

And while i'm on the subject of the Wiimote, Why is the Numchuck sold seperalty? Scam....

ljkkjlcm9
02-07-2007, 03:01 AM
If you're not playing the Wii anymore, you obviously never played with friends, which is actually what it's mostly intended for. Getting 4 people for Wii tennis is insane. Sadly, they don't have many remotes for sale anywhere.

Now could you explain this logic to my friend who refuses to buy a second wiimote :mad:

And while i'm on the subject of the Wiimote, Why is the Numchuck sold seperalty? Scam....
welll.... most Wii sports games don't require the Chuck... but yeah it's to get more money out of you. I can't get a second Wiimote because they don't have any anywhere, luckily, I know a friend with 3, and I can bring mine over to play with 4.

THE JACKEL

Remedy
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Nentendo Wii

I guess it's another STRONG console with weak games
according to what games are available up to now !

JKTrix
02-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Nentendo Wii

I guess it's another STRONG console with weak games
according to what games are available up to now !

Highlighted for emphasis.

Xbox 360 launched for $300/$400, its big games were Call of Duty 2 (which was awesome) and Project Gotham 3 (also pretty great). The rest weren't so hot.

PS3 launched for $500/$600, it's 'big' game was Resistance, and perhaps Ridge Racer 7 which is a PS launch staple, with the rest being throwaways.

Wii launches for $250, it's biggest game is Zelda. A couple of other good games came at the same time (not to mention Free Wii Sports), and the rest at the time were not good.

All the systems launched with 'weak' games by that logic. Which would kind of put them all in the same level in a sense.

Roto13
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't know why people expect a dozen smash hits at launch for any console. :P When has that ever happened? If there's one at launch and more on the way, be happy.

Tavrobel
02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
The PS2 had some strong games earlier than the others (by proportion), but not at launch.

We need another Diddy Kong Racing game, because, apparently only that is a the cure for a failure that has not yet been acheived. Nintendo has been making money for quite some time; just not as much as they would like.

Captain Maxx Power
02-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Nintendo sucks.
Sony sucks.
Microsoft sucks.
Blah Blah Blah.
Bitch Bitch Bitch.
Bias Bias Bias.
Nonsense.
Bull****.
Off-topic console hate.
Links to sales figures.

*sheds a tear*

...thank you...

Slothy
02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Although I'm impressed with the success Nintendo has managed with the Wii so far, I think it's too soon to call it a comeback. Although I certainly think the console has a lot of potential, I'm not seeing the games that really take advantage of that yet. In fact, the current and in development software doesn't impress me that much, and even if they do get some games that really start taking advantage of it, it'll take more than a few to do it. The biggest problem with the GC and N64 was the general lack of great titles in comparison to the PSX and PS2, and so far I haven't seen anything that really leads me to believe that's changed. So far it looks like another case of, if you love Nintendo games, you'll love the system, but there isn't much else for you.

Madame Adequate
02-08-2007, 01:55 AM
you can call the n64 and GC failures, but they still made plenty of money off of them.

After the level of market control they had with the NES and SNES, what happened from '95 onwards was a massive series of setbacks and what can honestly only be described as failures. They didn't fare as badly as SEGA, true (Sadly; I'd much rather the reverse had occurred) but they still got the crap kicked out of them.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-08-2007, 06:45 AM
I guess it's too early to call it a comeback, but I think the Wii's future is bright because developers aren't overlooking it.