PDA

View Full Version : Question about RPG Maker 2000

Vermachtnis
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
In the game I'm making I have no world map to speak of. My friend says it's like the Old School Zelda, I guess he means the first one because I made all the areas the same size (Except for towns and dungeons). I want my dungeons to have encounters like in the Tales of series. You know where there is a set number of monster in a room and if they hit you, you battle and what not. I figured out how to make that happen, but either A) they never respawn or B) I'm caught in a loop. Can someone help me have the monsters respawn after the player leaves the parent map (prefereabaly) or the room?

aquatius
02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Have the monsters have their page with the monster appear when a switch is turned on, have a default empty page. When your character stands on the tile to teleport out of the room make that tile also turn on the switch to make the monsters appear. You will need to have it turned o n before they enter the room for the first time too.

Seifer
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Alternatively, you can use a variables for the monsters. Initially the variable is 0, you encounter the monster, initiate fight, variable is set to 1. You get out of the fight and the monster is no longer there because the next sequence of the event is blank with a requirement of 1 on the variable. Then, like it was said with the teleport pad event, decrease the variable by one and those monsters will have returned when you go back.

Whichever method you decide to choose is up to you. Although, if you have the switches intially turned on as the condition for the event that monster is on, an extra step to turn the switches on will be needed in some other event that takes place when the game starts (this will make a lot of unnecessary extra work when you take into consideration how many monsters you decide to have in your game). Another way you can do it is have the switches intially turned off, and when they're turned on, the monster isn't there. Same as the variable method, except with a switch. Personally, I use the variable method, but that's only because of my programmer mindset and frequently dealing with counters and whatnot (variables are switches to me, semantics). So in this case, they're basically the same thing.

Vermachtnis
02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks you guys. I had to go with the Variable thing though, cause that's what I've been using for treasures and story events and what not. Good thing you guys helped me figure it out, cause my friend said that the monsters in Undine's Shrine (First dungeon) or a lot harder than the last area and if he had to fight them every couple of steps or so he would have had to quit playing...I'm not sure to proud of that or not.

Grendal
02-09-2007, 05:17 AM
On a side note, try to upgrade to RPG Maker XP. If you prefer a Zelda style / no world map play-style, then RPG Maker XP would be more specific to this. It generally uses the same game engine as 2000, but with more detail.

aquatius
02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Also XP has unlimited size for resources and you can edit and create your own scripts for the game.