PDA

View Full Version : Kiss Me Goodbye

Disco Potato
02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Spoilers for FFVI-XII...

I guess I'll be blunt - does Kiss Me Goodbye (the English version) have anything to do with FFXII's plot (or characters)? In VI the opera song was woven into the story with Celes singing it (and the lyrics, iirc, related to Locke). VIII's song was both woven into the plot with Julia making it and related to Squall, Laguna, Rinoa, and Raine. I haven't played IX, but I've read that it relates to a theme of the game and that Garnet sings it. X's song was a little more generic, but it fit Tidus and Yuna's relationship. But with XII...Kiss Me Goodbye is neither woven into the storyline nor (as far as I can tell) directly relates to any of the main characters.

English (Original)

You say my love is all you need to see you through
But I know these words are not quite true
Here is the path you're looking for, an open door
Leading to worlds you long to explore

Go, if you must move on alone
I'm gonna make it on my own

Kiss me good-bye, love's memory
Follow your heart and fin[d] your destiny
Won't shed a tear for love's mortality
For you put the dream in my reality

As time goes by I know you'll see this of me
I loved you enough to let you go free

Go, I will give you wings to fly
Cast all your fears into the sky

Kiss me good-bye, love's mystery
All of my life I'll hold you close to me
Won't shed a tear for love's mortality
For you put the dream in my reality

Kiss me good-bye, love's memory
You put the dream in my reality

When I heard the song while watching the ending I thought it related to Vaan and Penelo, but they never actually separated at any time. Then I thought it related to Ashe and Rasler, but Rasler didn't go off to explore - he went to war. My only guess now is that deals with Balthier and Ashe :p

I just find this weird. I overanalyze songs, especially the Final Fantasy ones, and it's kind of off-putting to not be able to figure out this one.

McLovin'
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I just think FF6 is where they got the idea for FF12.

An empire - Check.
Magic spelled weird - Check
3 Goddesses (aka OCCURIA!) - Check
Espers and a city of them - Check

I'll even go as far as saying that the Shadowseer is what is left of Kefka.

Germ Hamee
02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I just think FF6 is where they got the idea for FF12.

An empire - Check.
Magic spelled weird - Check
3 Goddesses (aka OCCURIA!) - Check
Espers and a city of them - Check

I'll even go as far as saying that the Shadowseer is what is left of Kefka.

Wooow, that post had a whole lot of nothing to do with anything - just like the song!

You're right, though. The song is totally out there as far as the story goes. They just made it to be pretty. It's not like you can write a moving ballad about political intrigue.

Roogle
02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I think it was a song chosen for the ending theme due to the ambience within the song. It is, unlike other theme songs, made solely for the sake of background music.

McLovin'
02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Well it made me think of that thus it was inspiring. :D

hplvr
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
i liked the ending song, i really dont care if it fits in with the story or not.... it just makes the ending seem more touching and stufff

marysonnie
02-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually, this song reminds me a lot of Vaan and Penelo. Pre-game he was always running off and she'd be left worrying about him. And even though he still goes off adventuring, he probably settles down with her a bit.

I think the song is supposed to have a broader theme of exploration and moving on, something that Ashe experiences throughout the game. But I don't think she and Balthier really have anything that rivals him and Fran. The game makes it quite clear she's not over Rassler; I view death as another form of exploration, so this very well could be about Ashe and her departed husband.

Angel Valentine
02-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Actually, this song reminds me a lot of Vaan and Penelo. Pre-game he was always running off and she'd be left worrying about him. And even though he still goes off adventuring, he probably settles down with her a bit.

I think the song is supposed to have a broader theme of exploration and moving on, something that Ashe experiences throughout the game. But I don't think she and Balthier really have anything that rivals him and Fran. The game makes it quite clear she's not over Rassler; I view death as another form of exploration, so this very well could be about Ashe and her departed husband.
huh........that actually makes a lot of sense to me =o! I never really thought about any of that....thank you very much xD