PDA

View Full Version : FFV redeemed itself?

Paul
02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
to english speaking gamers, FF5 has always been somewhat overlooked. firstly because it wasn't released (SNES) and then when it was, they just did an awful job of it (PSX).

do you think FF5 is getting some of the love it deserves now that we have a decent english version in the GBA one? it's the first time i've played through it and i must say i find it to be better than FFIV (i can hear people screaming at the very idea of it).

and yet i feel many people have overlooked FFVA due to FF5s reputation. i've spoken to plenty of people that own FFIVA and are getting FFVIA but don't seem interested in FFV...

Jowy
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I think the new script made the game much better. I got it the day it came out and had more enjoyment with the GBA version than any previous version as there was no slowdown like with the PSX, and I felt more emotion throughout the game than with the SNES version.

The black mage
02-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Yep and the jokes in it (Galuf to Bartz and visa-versia) are good.
I never played the Ps version but i heard the translation was :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:. and they got the names wrong.

ljkkjlcm9
02-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm actually loving the GBA version of it. It was never a horrible game to me, but I truly enjoy this translation. I've always found the jobs with skills to learn a great idea, and think it would work well in a later game, if done correctly.

THE JACKEL

vorpal blade
02-07-2007, 11:04 PM
I didn't mind the FFA version of the game, but I do like FFVa quite a bit. Like Paul, I rate it above FFIV, due largely to the job system.

Yuriev's ghost
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
FFV will always be my least favorite of the SNES generation but the new localization has done much to improve the experience. It's definitely better than the PSX version, at least.

Bunny
02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Six thumbs up.

Moon Rabbits
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I've only played the SNES version, and it is my least favourite FF on the SNES. Although, I have heard very good things about FFVA.

thehodgepodge37
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm really enjoying FFVA, a lot! I never liked the PSX version that much. The backgrounds in the battle (for PSX) were terrible (compared to GBA). :tongue:

Alexander
02-11-2007, 02:26 AM
It seems to have a storyline now.

And it's not nerfed like FFI & II.

Thumbs up for FFV Advance, as well.

arcanedude34
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I (forgive me) never noticed any differences in the versions. Well, I mean, obviously, there are some translation... fixings. And the new bonus caves are cool and all... but...

The plot... was never that good. ever. As anyone can see, the main feature of FFV was th job classes and the abilities system, etc. But, what people don't realize is... they two versions are exactly the same.

Music- slightly improved.

Graphics- slightly improved.

Plot- Same

Translation- ...Spiffied up a bit

Characters- Same

Everything else- THE SAME.

The point I'm trying to make is... the only reason the GameBoy version is better... is cuz I can play it whenever I want. :D

My parents are... strict.

I agree w/ Paul- better than FFIV.

And they didn't get the names wrong. They just tweaked them...

ljkkjlcm9
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
hey, there's also the new classes, and the Gladiator class is actually really good. And the Oracle class ABP up skill was useful for when I mastered all the classes with all the characters!

THE JACKEL

arcanedude34
02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but those don't take a game from 'awful, overlooked' to 'redeemed, wonderful.'

Paul
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I (forgive me) never noticed any differences in the versions. Well, I mean, obviously, there are some translation... fixings. And the new bonus caves are cool and all... but...

The plot... was never that good. ever. As anyone can see, the main feature of FFV was th job classes and the abilities system, etc. But, what people don't realize is... they two versions are exactly the same.

Music- slightly improved.

Graphics- slightly improved. (i'd argue more than slightly when you include battle backgrounds. SNES / PSX version = kid with crayon)

Plot- Same (yes but you can appreciate it more when you can understand it)

Translation- much better?

Characters- Same, yet represented better by the new dialogues?

Everything else- THE SAME.

The point I'm trying to make is... the only reason the GameBoy version is better... is cuz I can play it whenever I want. :D

My parents are... strict.

I agree w/ Paul- better than FFIV.

And they didn't get the names wrong. They just tweaked them...
yes well the battles are a lot smoother, including much better looking. the plot is better presented as are the character dialogues. there's a bestiary, a music player. the interface is much improved including knowing all of the stat increases and decreases caused by equipment rather than "DEFENSE UP LOL CRYSTAL ARMOUR IS TEH BEST!!1"

UltimateSpamGrover
02-14-2007, 06:07 AM

I remember seeing on a FF website that the odd numbered FF's (until VII) focused on the job system and the battle system where as the even numbered FF's focused on the internal storyline and character development.

Paul
02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I remember seeing on a FF website that the odd numbered FF's (until VII) focused on the job system and the battle system where as the even numbered FF's focused on the internal storyline and character development.
yeah i've often considered this myself.

it seems the odd numbered FFs concentrate on the battle system whereas the even numbered FFs concentrate on the story. until 7, yes.

Kefka_Almighty
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I've really never thought it necessarily needed to "redeem" itself, but then again, I've never considered any of the FF games truly awful (except for Mystic Quest, and I've yet to play FF X-2, which I've heard mixed things about). However, I think the new script definantly helps, especially the fact that they decided to fix Faris' god-awful pirate drawl from the PSX translation.

Paul
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
well for me it's just that this is the first time it's had a truly authentic version. there was the ROM translation, which was great, but a hacked ROM isn't the best way to experience an FF game. then there was the PSX version which destroyed Faris as well as being ridiculously slow. this time we've got the best of everything.

dups1822
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
it seems like all of north america has never really liked FFV too much. however, i thought, regardless of what version, that it was always a great game

Sefie1999AD
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
I thought FFV was already a great game, but still, the GBA version enhances it quite a bit. The job/ability system was already very addictive, and now the user interface has been enhanced further, not to mention the battles seem fast-paced and fun. While the original story wasn't bad by any means, I think this new translation with quite a hilarious script (from what I've seen) adds a lot to the story.

Did FFVA redeem FFV in gamers' eyes? Probably not. This version is still quite similar to the original version, which was released in 1992. Because non-Japanese gamers couldn't play it back then, but only around 1999 or so, the game didn't become a classic in their hearts, and by 1999, the graphics were horribly outdated (of course), and the PSX loading times and a questionable script didn't help. As for the GBA remakes, I'm not sure if they get that much attention from non-FF fans.

ShunNakamura
03-02-2007, 04:48 AM
I have started playing FFV advance due to all the good I have heard about it.... but what the hell did they do to the character portraits. Pet peeve of mine particually since they show up every-time the character talks. But other than that here is to hoping that I enjoy the remake.

BlueChaos
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I ran a search on FFV, and found that it looked, and sounded like a pretty good game. I never really started playing the Final Fantasy series, until around when FFVII came out, witch was also my first FF game.

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I've always felt that this game hasn't aged very well. Even in the late 1990s it already seemed "obsolete" somehow (granted I had already played through many other RPGs by then, including FF1, 4, 6 and 7). While the job system is neat, nothing else stands out except for the decent difficulty level and a few interesting boss battles. Most of the gameplay outside of the character advancement system feels rather "blah" :eep:. The music is IMO inferior to FF4 and FF6's, the graphics are only marginally superior to FF4's, and the plot is rather dry with a cliche anime style cackling supervillain that wouldn't be out of place in an Austin Powers movie.