PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles

Nifleheim7
02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know if this had been discussed before,but i thought wouldn't it have been better if asian games had subtitles instead of dubbing?Or better yet an option to choose what you want?
Is that so difficult to happen??

NeoCracker
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
It was discussed quite a while back. I think we all agreed the option of jap voiced and eng subtitles was best.

Roto13
02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I prefer English voices with the option for subtitles.

Nifleheim7
02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
It was discussed quite a while back. I think we all agreed the option of jap voiced and eng subtitles was best.

Yes i agree too,but i don't see it happening...

Dreddz
02-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Shenmue 2 worked fine with subtitles and no dubbing. Im open for either.

Laddy
02-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Subtitles For Foreign Languages for $500, Alex.

Dr Aum
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm really not a fan of video game voice-acting in general. Give me text any day.

Markus. D
02-08-2007, 03:12 AM
I like the english dubbs... if they are nice to listen to. other than that. Japanese Dubb with english subtitles ftw.

Zante
02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
I don't speak Japanese, English plz.

Maxico
02-08-2007, 08:23 AM

However on the Xbox it has a hillarious non-sensical dub that I'm quite attached to.

Dreddz
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM

However on the Xbox it has a hillarious non-sensical dub that I'm quite attached to.

Yes, the dubbing of the Shenmue games was really something quite special.

JKTrix
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
"Are there any sailors around here?"

Next-gen games, particularly the PS3, has the most likely chance of having multiple languages on it. The PS3 especially, since all the extra disc space allows for them to do it.

'Last Gen', I'm sure some people would have liked to include the Japanese voices in their games, but disc space wasn't enough for them to have the game, the english voices and the Japanese voices. I haven't played Disgaea, but I know Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom both have the option to switch between English and Japanese. They are 2D games, and likely had oodles of extra space to accomodate it.

The Shin Megami Tensei 3D games however (whose very name is Japanese), did not have Japanese voices. Atlus, of all people, is a very fan-oriented company, and I'm sure they would include the Japanese voices if they were able to.

As for Next Gen games, Enchanted Arms for 360 (and its apparently crappy PS3 port (http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-3/1925-Enchant_Arm-reviews.html)) has the option to switch between English and Japanese whenever you went to the Pause Menu screen. I think in Phantom Brave, you could only change the language at the Title screen. If the 4-disc monstrosity that is Blue Dragon does not have dual-voice options, I will be highly disappointed.

But yeah, I think in most recent cases, dual-voice (and its appropriate subtitles) being omitted was more a factor of disc space rather than Publisher's preference.

I think we would be able to get games a lot faster if they skipped the whole English Language Dub thing. However, it is likely that it would vastly limit their potential sales of that particular game. A lot of people hate having to read subtitles.

Grendal
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I generally prefer subtitles in anything I play / watch. In the event that I don't catch exactly what's being said, or the characters use words I'm unfamiliar with, it helps me understand the details better.

Bunny
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm really not a fan of video game voice-acting in general. Give me text any day.

Dr Aum: Livin' it up old school style

I'm gonna live it up with him.

Nifleheim7
02-08-2007, 09:14 PM
"Are there any sailors around here?"

Next-gen games, particularly the PS3, has the most likely chance of having multiple languages on it. The PS3 especially, since all the extra disc space allows for them to do it.

'Last Gen', I'm sure some people would have liked to include the Japanese voices in their games, but disc space wasn't enough for them to have the game, the english voices and the Japanese voices. I haven't played Disgaea, but I know Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom both have the option to switch between English and Japanese. They are 2D games, and likely had oodles of extra space to accomodate it.

The Shin Megami Tensei 3D games however (whose very name is Japanese), did not have Japanese voices. Atlus, of all people, is a very fan-oriented company, and I'm sure they would include the Japanese voices if they were able to.

As for Next Gen games, Enchanted Arms for 360 (and its apparently crappy PS3 port (http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-3/1925-Enchant_Arm-reviews.html)) has the option to switch between English and Japanese whenever you went to the Pause Menu screen. I think in Phantom Brave, you could only change the language at the Title screen. If the 4-disc monstrosity that is Blue Dragon does not have dual-voice options, I will be highly disappointed.

But yeah, I think in most recent cases, dual-voice (and its appropriate subtitles) being omitted was more a factor of disc space rather than Publisher's preference.

I think we would be able to get games a lot faster if they skipped the whole English Language Dub thing. However, it is likely that it would vastly limit their potential sales of that particular game. A lot of people hate having to read subtitles.

I played both Phantom Brave and Disgea:Hour of Darkness and unfortunately neither has Japanese voices(at least the PAL versions).

But yes,i agree that it has to do with disc space.But there is no excuse for next gen games...

Maxico
02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Only games developed for PS3 have no excuse not to include the Japanese track as the Wii and 360 are still using DVD or equivilent disc fomats.

Not quite sure why the crazy moon language track, that most people can't understand, has to be playing in the background for people to be happy. Why not simply an option to eliminate the dialog track? Which is coincidentally a feature that Shenmue provides.

JKTrix
02-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Shenmue was so ahead of its time, we still haven't caught up.

Shenmue 3 pleeease!

People! Buy Virtua Fighter! Then we can give Yu Suzuki money to continue Shenmue in one form or another.

A lot of people are fascinated by Japanese things in general, it's a preference. And perhaps ignorance--it's harder to tell if a voice actor is bad if you don't understand what they're saying.

Yuffie514
02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
i prefer:

English voices w/Japanese subtitles
-or-
Japanese voices w/English subtitles

...and that's freedom of choice. it's like that with the Tenchu games.

Markus. D
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Disgaea and Disgaea 2 have some awesome japanese dubbing n_n-b.

Tink sounds so boring though :(

I'll stick to the English. its more... fun ^-^...

Cruise Control
02-15-2007, 05:15 AM
English dubs, with subs. I'm not busy trying to enhance my nerd aura, I'm trying to enjoy myself.