PDA

View Full Version : Yans

Frostwake
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
To me Yans are the true "superboss" of FF IX... not a luck-dependent boss like Ozma... They kind of remind me of FF V Omega because of the amount of deadly counters...

So Id like to know some strategies to beat 3 yans? Aside from using Odin and hoping for instant kill of course, thats cheap

After thinking a bit the most logical solution seems to be using doomsday/ark for 9999 damage to all, then using it again and win...

Problem is they are faster than your characters and counter everything with comet, which means youre lucky to have one character alive after damaging 3 of them at once (since comet usually does 5000+) since at the very least they will use 2 "turn" comets + 3 "counter" comets.. resulting in a total of 20-40 K damage, not to mention snort, which if youre lucky like me, will get your "ark/doomsday" character out of the battle immediatly.. ugh...Is there an "easy" way out on this one?

Xurts
02-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I use Added Effect on Zidane's The Tower, I think. Whichever weapon of his that has Doom. Exploit the 9999 skills on everyone. If you have a high magic defense/evade Comet will either miss or do poor damage. Having Insomniac activated and having Quina cast Night will put the Sleep status on some of them. Mustard Bomb isn't a bad idea to try either. Quina can also cast Auto-Life in case Comet kills one of your characters.

I enter battle and have Dagger summon Odin. Then, I have Zidane inflict Doom on everything that survives and hope that either Doom or my 9999 skills kill them before they kill my characters.

Goldenboko
02-09-2007, 01:36 AM
...No, not really, Ozma is the superboss no doubt about it. Sure there is a matter of luck to beat him (although at later levels the luck factor deminishes) he is quite beatable. That's like discluding him because of his difficulty.
Besides, thats like saying, "In order to be a super boss, I must be able to beat you every time!" Ozma is difficult and luck is required to win, a true super boss.

farplaner
02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Doom and Night work about half the time (give or take). Doom still gives them time to take a turn or two, not to mention a counter. Night, if successful, puts them to sleep, but they are so quick that if you aren't casting night with every one of Quina's turns, they are roused and rude in no time.

In my experience, Night is worth the trouble, though, and so is doom. Skills/ summons/ etc. that hit more than one Yan are very risky, because if more than one of them counter with snort, you're liable to be left with no one on the battlefield.

My advice is this: be able (that is- more likely) to survive comet, and save after every one or two battles. And if you're not doing max damage with each attack, you're wasting your time.

Little Blue
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Been a while since I last fought a Yan, but I think I usually just used the 9999 skills such as Thievery and Dragon's Crest, as well as using Odin. I got into a nice little routine while using them to get everyone to lvl 99. Saving often is good though, even if everyone is maxed they can still wipe you out. I would say luck plays a part against the Yans.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I have no strategy. I accept the fact that I am at their mercy the second the battle starts