PDA

View Full Version : Anna Nicole Smith has just died

MoonsEcho
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/08/anna.nicole.collapses/index.html

I don't even know if this is the right place for this, so I apologize if it isn't. It just didn't seem to really fit in EoEO.

I wasn't really crazy about Anna Nicole, to be honest I thought she was quite a loon, but it's still a little surprising, and it always saddens me when someone with a small child dies and leaves them behind. :(

oddler
02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
You mentioning this now is uncanny. Not one minute ago did someone at work say that Anna Nicole Smith had died.

Jowy
02-08-2007, 09:58 PM
You mentioning this now is uncanny. Not one minute ago did someone at work say that Anna Nicole Smith had died.

Are you in the same office I am where everyone in processing won't stop talking about it? ^_^

Bunny
02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Other people died today too. It sucks but people die.

Yamaneko
02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, but when you're a media whore your death is more important.

Bunny
02-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Name one productive thing she has done in the last five years and I'll be convinced that her death was important. I'd say two, but that is probably impossible. :P

Roto13
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Name one productive thing she has done in the last five years and I'll be convinced that her death was important. I'd say two, but that is probably impossible. :P

Yams is never sincere.

How weird. I saw "Anna Nicole Has Just..." on the forums index and I thought to myself "... died." I'm psychic.

Bunny
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Yams is never sincere.

It was more of a general challenge. Because honestly, why mourn someone who's only real purpose on this planet was to be a drunken idiot? The only reason she was famous in the first place was because she married an old rich dude.

Rocket Edge
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
WHAT?!!! I used to love this woman. I can't believe this!

Roto13
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Yams is never sincere.

It was more of a general challenge. Because honestly, why mourn someone who's only real purpose on this planet was to be a drunken idiot? The only reason she was famous in the first place was because she married an old rich dude.
Actually, she was famous in the first place for being Playboy's Plamate of the Year in 1993.

daggertrepe
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
This topic is everywhere, even here.

Roto13
02-08-2007, 10:22 PM
This topic is everywhere, even here.

Ya don't say. ;P

Cipher
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
*digs out from a mass of homework and delurks*

It's just extremely ironic that she would suddenly pass away no more than five or six months after her (step?)-son passes away. Sucks what happened to her, but to be honest I'm more concerned about her 5-month old little boy girl. Can't even say she's going to be with her 'father', since there's a paternity battle going on.

When it rains, it pours I guess.

*enables lurk-mode, returns to homework hell*

*editga* She had a baby girl, not a baby boy. Shows how much I know about celebrities.

Moon Rabbits
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
This is the most RANDOM death ever. Seriously. I saw it on CNN and was like "Wierd."

Then I watched Video on Trial and forgot about it.

daggertrepe
02-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Yams is never sincere.

Actually, she was famous in the first place for being Playboy's Plamate of the Year in 1993.

That's something to be proud of :rolleyes2

Rocket Edge
02-08-2007, 10:29 PM
This is the most RANDOM death ever.
Up there with Steve Irwin's. I'm really down about this. She was so beautiful. :(

R.I.P Anna.

Nominus Experse
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I am more intrigued by how she died.

Little Blue
02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Who? Seriously, I haven't a clue who she is. I know the name but she could be anyone to me...

Still, R.I.P. anyway Anna Nicole Smith.

Rye
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, when you're practically high off your ass on diet pills and who knows what else, it's only so long...

I'm sorry, I think every death (within reason) is sad in some way, but Anna Nicole Smith hasn't contributed anything whatsoever, so I can't say I'm going to be mourning all that much.

Rocket Edge
02-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I am more intrigued by how she died.
I'm 99% certain she OD'd on something. Sleeping pill's most likely, but it's anyone's guess.

Avarice-ness
02-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Weird, someone told me on WoW and we weren't sure if it was true. Odd.

MecaKane
02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
r.i.p. titties

That's something to be proud of :rolleyes2
What's wrong with that? It's not hustler or anything, and it's been a career starter for a lot of women, Jenny McCarthy for instance! And now she's writing <i>books</i>!

Renmiri
02-08-2007, 11:20 PM
OMG!

Her college age son died last year, in her hospital room in very weird circunstances. Now this.

I think there's something weird in this...

In nay case tabloids will make a circus out of this

Venom
02-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I felt bad for her when her son died. I think she may have killed herself. But either way its pretty sad.:(

Vincent, Thunder God
02-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes, but when you're a media whore your death is more important.

In a bitterly satiristic way that's just about the best thing you've written in a while, Yamaneko... and it's all too true. For all we know a wonderful person died tragically somewhere in the world today, yet Anna Nicole Smith gets the most mourning. Long live the selective media.

Momiji
02-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Does saying that I really don't care make me a bad person?

...then I'm a bad person.

Miriel
02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
I feel sorry for her. She had a rather troubled life. Having sex with ghosts and all. And I feel sorry for her baby daughter.

I'm also feel freakin' CREEPED OUT that her Wiki page was updated with this news almost immediately after it broke. That's just... uh, really freaky.

MoonsEcho
02-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Like I said before, I never really cared for her at all. I always thought she had a few screws loose in her head, but I do think it's odd how she mysteriously died a few months after her son. Yes, there's a good possibility it's drugs. A very good possibility. The main reason I feel any real sadness is because she is leaving behind an infant, and I have a soft spot for babies. Although many could argue that the baby is better off now...

Bunny
02-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Yams is never sincere.

Kay. Let me rephrase this: The only reason she stayed famous was because she was married to a rich old dude. Besides, the two of them met in '91. They didn't get married until '94, sure, but the relationship was there before she was a Playmate.

~*~Celes~*~
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Does saying that I really don't care make me a bad person?

...then I'm a bad person.

Then we're both bad people.

No_face
02-09-2007, 12:50 AM
SHE WAS GETTING MILLIONS!!!!! ARGGHH the stupid Bird almost got MILLIONS and she goes and kills herself....agh....damn her and her tormented state and lack of signing a will over to me...:cry:

oddler
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM

Are you in the same office I am where everyone in processing won't stop talking about it? ^_^

:lol:

Doubt it. Unless you're at least 40.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
02-09-2007, 01:14 AM
media whore or not she was still a person who had alot to deal with up until her death...i do wonder if any of you can endure what she had to go through in this past couple of months

love her or hate her shes still human...she was miserable, i feel really bad for her baby

Bunny
02-09-2007, 01:21 AM
media whore or not she was still a person who had alot to deal with up until her death...i do wonder if any of you can endure what she had to go through in this past couple of months

love her or hate her shes still human...she was miserable, i feel really bad for her baby

Yes, I could. Oh, and I have. Look at that.

Germ Hamee
02-09-2007, 02:56 AM
What a fishy series of deaths...

Shlup
02-09-2007, 04:33 AM
I just heard about this. How bizzare.

Wouldn't blame her if she killed herself.

Meat Puppet
02-09-2007, 04:41 AM
I hope that HOOTERS will be able to make it through this OK. :whimper:

Martyr
02-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Somebody I know died today.

I'll always remember the date of his death because it's the same day Anna Nicole Smith died.

And to think, I recently tried to find her on MySpace, and then didn't add her. I could've been one of the last dudes ever to have her on my MySpace!

But I think any celebrity death is tragic, not because anything Anna did was special in a worldy view, but because so many people care about her enough to make her a celebrity. If we care that much, then her death impacts us, even though it can be argued that her life was primarilly about making herself sexy enough to marry an old rich dude, and then beg for the inheritance.

Aralith
02-09-2007, 05:06 AM
But I think any celebrity death is tragic, not because anything Anna did was special in a worldy view, but because so many people care about her enough to make her a celebrity. If we care that much, then her death impacts us, even though it can be argued that her life was primarilly about making herself sexy enough to marry an old rich dude, and then beg for the inheritance.

Ah yes, but who cared about her enough to make her a celebrity? Probably not most of the people here who are saying that they only care because it's another human being or because she's leaving an infant behind with no one to care for it. There are quite a few people who could care less whether it was Anna or someone that they didn't know, because it would be about the same. It's sad that a human died, but it's not more sad because she's a celebrity. I certainly know that I don't care if she's a celebrity. I never supported or cared for her. Hell I still don't know what she looks like. I've never really cared to figure out who she is and why she gets so much media attention. So, I'm with everyone else. It's sad that a human being died. It's sad that she's leaving behind an infant. It is in no way, nor should it be, any more sad just because of her social status.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Ah yes, but who cared about her enough to make her a celebrity? Probably not most of the people here who are saying that they only care because it's another human being or because she's leaving an infant behind with no one to care for it. There are quite a few people who could care less whether it was Anna or someone that they didn't know, because it would be about the same. It's sad that a human died, but it's not more sad because she's a celebrity. I certainly know that I don't care if she's a celebrity. I never supported or cared for her. Hell I still don't know what she looks like. I've never really cared to figure out who she is and why she gets so much media attention. So, I'm with everyone else. It's sad that a human being died. It's sad that she's leaving behind an infant. It is in no way, nor should it be, any more sad just because of her social status.

I agree it's b.s. when a deceased celebrity gets more attention because of that person's social status...Regardless it's still a pretty sad story because like you said Anna left behind a baby, and that child will probaby get sent to an orphanage.

Miriel
02-09-2007, 06:11 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous to complain when celebrity deaths get more attention than non-celebrity deaths.

You know why? Because celebrities by default are KNOWN BY MORE PEOPLE. The more people who you're known by, the more attention you're gonna get when you die.

It's really not that hard to understand. A person who is the CEO of a billion dollar company is going to get more attention when they die than the owner of a fish food store. A person who has 500 friends is going to get more attention at their death than a person who only had 5 friends.

This isn't to say that one death or another is more IMPORTANT or that celebrity deaths cause more grief. That's not it at all. I'm sure that there are plenty of non-celebrity deaths that have caused more grief than Anne Nicole Smith's death will/is causing.

But the fact remains that the amount of attention that you receive is directly associated with how many people know you. Especially in terms of the media. If Oprah died, I know she'd get a helluva lot more attention that she died than I will when I die. And I have no problem with that. It really shouldn't matter. So why complain about it?

Yamaneko
02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Because it's fun to poke fun at what pop culture tolerates as a loss. She didn't really do anything note-worthy, did she? People are basically placing importance on the fact she was a good-for-nothing gold digger. I mean she wasn't even evil in the sense that her actions had some bearing on our culture or society. Why even acknowledge it?

Her death should be personal, not some media extravaganza.

Markus. D
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
her life was a tortured continuously by the media. I feel sorry for her.

Miriel
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Because it's fun to poke fun at what pop culture tolerates as a loss. She didn't really do anything note-worthy, did she? People are basically placing importance on the fact she was a good-for-nothing gold digger. I mean she wasn't even evil in the sense that her actions had some bearing on our culture or society. Why even acknowledge it?

Her death should be personal, not some media extravaganza.

I haven't read any comments that said that she was someone of value to society. And she's not getting attention for that. The only reason why she's getting attention is because she was a celebrity (though not a popular one) and her death was sudden and scandalous. She's not getting attention because she was a gold-digger, she's not getting attention for being a druggie, she's not even getting attention cause of all her lawsuits and whatnot. Very specifically, the only reason why this is getting media attention is because she was someone that was widely known. And now she is dead. That's really all it is.

Mirage
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I can't masturbate to nude pics of her anymore now, I'd feel bad.

Nominus Experse
02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Ah yes, but who cared about her enough to make her a celebrity?

Those involved in her creation as "another Monroe", driving her image to become the next sex symbol of America. The various photo shoots, her appearances in select venues and such. There are numerous things that lead to her rise as a celebrity.

No one becomes a celebrity simply because they name themselves as such; rather - and it ought to be smurfing obvious - they are named a celebrity by various people that do in fact care. They grab hold of this person's look, their views, all their assets and flaws, and make them into something more than ordinary - they make them famous. They make them a celebrity.

There are most likely hundreds upon thousands of celebrities that I in fact know nothing about, nor have even heard of or seen. But the fact of the matter is that the media thinks that they are worth enough to create a story, a buzz, about.

A small group of people begin crafting a celebrity, and then the masses follow due suit and make this person a true sensation. Whether or not you are or ever will be one of these people is null - you are one to thousands upon millions.

Probably not most of the people here who are saying that they only care because it's another human being or because she's leaving an infant behind with no one to care for it. There are quite a few people who could care less whether it was Anna or someone that they didn't know, because it would be about the same.
Being a celebrity causes various circumstances to be made drastically different then those out of the spotlight.

It's sad that a human died, but it's not more sad because she's a celebrity.
The thing is, that's not what the media or anyone is trying to portray. You are right in saying that though a celebrity, a death is a death, and a simple title does not imply that this person's death is somehow more tragic than any other person's.

Rather, the focus ought to be on the fact that her death is receiving more attention than that of the ordinary individual, someone who perhaps gave more to society as a whole than Anna Nicole Smith, who really only gave us an image and a media buzz over her legal battles. But complaining about this is stupid.

It's stupid because they are a smurfING celebrity. They could take a piss and receive more attention about that then you ever could if you were to ace the SAT. The thing is, you aren't in control of this - the media is. The media and masses of people that can be entertained by an image and other "sensational" bits and things. They are going to receive more attention for their acts, and their death is going to draw mass amounts of attention - as expected.

There is no reason to complain about such things.

Doing so only showcases your inability to understand the situation.

I certainly know that I don't care if she's a celebrity. I never supported or cared for her.

Again, it hardly matters. Thousands do. You are a whisper in the storm.

Hell I still don't know what she looks like.

You do. You may never have connected her name with her face, but you have seen her.

I've never really cared to figure out who she is and why she gets so much media attention. So, I'm with everyone else. It's sad that a human being died. It's sad that she's leaving behind an infant. It is in no way, nor should it be, any more sad just because of her social status.

It isn't more sad, and I don't see how you naively connected this. No one mentions this - anywhere. They say that it is sad, of course, but I have yet to read anywhere that her death is made more sorrowful simply because she was a celebrity.

All I have read are the tired, redundant complaints of people describing how a celebrity receives more attention than that of normal people.

Think on that. The answer ought to be obvious. She's a celebrity, She is going to receive more attention - plain and simple.

Yeah, the media doesn't make much sense, but you have to smurfing deal with it.

Additionally, think of how her family and friends may feel about such a thing - all this attention. At moments like this, would you not rather have it be private and personal? So hearing people complain about the fact that celebrities receive more attention for anything- including deaths - is rather inane.

I want my death to be quiet and celebrated only by a select few.

Madame Adequate
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I can't say I'm interested much, but I do agree with what Miriel said here. It's a bigger deal because she was a celebrity. Accept that and move on.

MecaKane
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Yes, I could. Oh, and I have. Look at that.

Sorry to hear about your dead child.

Emerald Aeris
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Saying that people portray celebrity deaths as more important really isn't accurate. It doesn't matter more, it just matters to more people. More people know they exist, so more people are moved by it, to whatever degree. The media feeds on those demographics. Although there probably are 12 year olds who really do think it's more important, that's really not the majority. People's tastes are off, you could vilify them for that, but not for caring that someone they liked died, even if they just liked their work and/or image. I would be equally as sad if one of my favourite professors or researchers died, as I would if say, Patrick Stewart died. Not for her though, never cared for her. She made some shows or whatever and lots of people liked it. Even if her material is crap, she's not a terrible person for simply being in the media. She was no different than all the other whores walking around, she just had cameras on her. To attack the grief surrounding her death is to push her into a special category, which is what you're complaining about in the first place.

Resha
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, death is death. People can whinge about "celebrity" deaths all they want, but the end of the day, even a celebrity death is just something that people'll read and forget. The select few who really give a damn always will, and so the media's attention is kinda redundant anyways. Considering all the ill will in this thread, a media-propelled celebrity death seems worse than just passing away quietly xD

Hell, guys, if the newspapers and everything covered every single death in the world, we'd be plagued by an evil harbinger media of REALLY DEPRESSING PROPORTIONS. Geez. That's why they have obituaries anyways. >.<

Uhm RIP, I guess. Didn't know her, didn't care to, but now she be dead and that be sad in all circumstances. :-)

Yamaneko
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
And now she is dead. That's really all it is.
But she was made famous for all those things. I'm not discounting her death, or even that she was widely known. I'm mainly critiquing the way the media creates, feeds off of and then profits off a product such as herself. All she was in the eyes of the majority of the population was the things she was made out to be, and to a large degree she had control over how that played out.

She died, OK. I don't need to hear a ten minute segment on her life after hearing about how another dozen American soldiers died in Iraq. It's sorely out of context and it should be kept to mediums of entertainment who employ sensationalist journalists who feed off that crap.

Emerald Aeris
02-09-2007, 08:06 PM
She died, OK. I don't need to hear a ten minute segment on her life after hearing about how another dozen American soldiers died in Iraq. It's sorely out of context and it should be kept to mediums of entertainment who employ sensationalist journalists who feed off that crap.

Running the media is a business, and those segments sell. I blame people for buying into it. What determines what is 'news' other than things people care about? It would be great if people would rather hear about things that really mattered, but sadly in general that is not the case.

Renmiri
02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Somehow her grief for her dead son made her less "bimbo" and whorish in my eyes, more human. Enough to care a teeny little bit about her death. A sad and tragic story to be sure.

I think celebrities misfortunes remind us all that no matter how high you get on life you are still bound by the same human nature we all are.

EDIT: I do care more about the dead in Iraq, but the soldiers and their families hate it that I care, they don't even believe it is sincere, because I am anti war and didn't vote for the SOB who sent them there without body armor. So I'm forced to avert my eyes and pretend I don't see the dead of the war, and grieve for over glamourized bimbos...

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-10-2007, 06:32 AM

Running the media is a business, and those segments sell. I blame people for buying into it. What determines what is 'news' other than things people care about? It would be great if people would rather hear about things that really mattered, but sadly in general that is not the case.

Yep. No matter what one might like to believe, a good number of people thrive on the idea of celebrities, they're in love with the concept of these glamorous, somewhat otherworldy people. To many people, things like this are far, far more important than the actual news. There simply isn't enough news for the media to even exist as a private entity unreliant upon (and thus capable of being critical of) the government, so it must make use of these pseudo-events and celebrities. It's how the media continues to exist so that when something important happens, people are able to be informed.

ShunNakamura
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Hell I still don't know what she looks like.

You do. You may never have connected her name with her face, but you have seen her.

Actually, I haven't. I did go to the article and took a look at a few pictures of her to see if I could place her. No go. Not surprising though, I am so far removed from pop culture that I make the most distant of stars look close to us by comparison.

Anyways I do recall hearing the name somewhere before..... probably one of my freinds/family mentioned her in passing.

Edit- And of course it makes sense that a public figure would get more publicity for anything they do(inculding dying).

Rusty
02-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I found her death sad. Not because I admire what she did with her life, but the fact she seemed so messed up and troubled. I wish she had gotten the help she needed. I doubt there was anybody in her life that really supported or loved her. But, I am just speculating.

Sidderz
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
People in school were talking about this in school yesterday but I couldn't really join in the conversation. The main reason being that I don't actually know alot about her and what she did and before I was told I didn't even know who she was!

Sad though. As most deaths are.

McLovin'
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I feel more sorry for her son who died like half a year before.

Yar
02-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Why isn't the Anna Nicole Show a contribution within the last five years? That show made me laugh. I'll miss her because she brought joy to people, like me.

theundeadhero
02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I can't masturbate to nude pics of her anymore now, I'd feel bad.I was just about to post "Would be creepy for me to break out that issue of playboy now and..."

Vikeve
02-10-2007, 10:47 PM
We can talk about this forever but she is dead and becuase she was a celebrety people will make a big deal out of it. But thats besides the point all deaths are sad to me.:(

But it won't take long for me to move on... infact I'm more sad that the soda pop shop that I loved so much in my town is closing down today than the fact that she is dead.:cry: R.I.P soda pop shop with your almighty root beer floats.:cry:

Samuraid
02-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Who?

Elite Lord Sigma
02-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Eh, I can't say I'll miss her, as I didn't even know much about her. I'm more concerned about what will happen to her daughter than her death.

Renmiri
02-12-2007, 04:56 AM
R.I.P soda pop shop with your almighty root beer floats.:cry:
Oooo! Root beer floats rule! :love: :love: :love:

We can talk about this forever but she is dead and becuase she was a celebrety people will make a big deal out of it. But thats besides the point all deaths are sad to me.:(
Yet here in US we aren't allowed to mourn dead soldiers. Aren't allowed to see their funerals, or to see any picture of them not clapping for El Busho. :cry: Their families can not make a big fuss or it will be "unpatriotic" or "negate their sacrifice"...

Hence we are left mourning the movie stars and celebrity bimbo's of the day while pretending not to see how many die daily in the war :mad:

Rostum
02-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Her death does not make me sad.

The Mog Ninja
02-12-2007, 06:09 AM
well i dont know if this is the right place to post it, cuz i didnt read 3 pages of posts, but 2 rumors i heard was 1: sum1 is killing off anna nicole smith and her family, making it look like an overdose, and 2: the baby is from anna nicole and her son, which is y the son killed himself a few minutes after he saw the baby.

Renmiri
02-12-2007, 06:30 AM
I heard the same rumors. #2 is so sickening!!!

Vikeve
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
R.I.P soda pop shop with your almighty root beer floats.:cry:
Oooo! Root beer floats rule! :love: :love: :love:

Yet here in US we aren't allowed to mourn dead soldiers. Aren't allowed to see their funerals, or to see any picture of them not clapping for El Busho. :cry: Their families can not make a big fuss or it will be "unpatriotic" or "negate their sacrifice"...

Hence we are left mourning the movie stars and celebrity bimbo's of the day while pretending not to see how many die daily in the war :mad:

Yeah thats is true but whenever there is different news about the war my social studies class discussing it I always feel bad when I hear more and more about the war.:(

h, yes Root beer Floats are great and the kind they served at the soda pop shop was the typical root beer float in a huge cup almost overflowing with flavor.:D

Renmiri
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
h, yes Root beer Floats are great and the kind they served at the soda pop shop was the typical root beer float in a huge cup almost overflowing with flavor.:D

The "brain freeze" from drinking it in a sip is the best part :D

NINJA_Ryu
02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
As much fun we are having from rootbeery, I must add more 2 cents.

I wish i didnt play with my voodoo dolls that day.

Although overall, this is just one of the flukes of life. Cmon, you wake up, the birds are singing and the sun is shining and your headin oiut to school when you check your email, and your homepage of cnn and.....BOOM!!!!!!! ANNA NICOLE SMITH JUST DIED!!!!!!!

Stirring within me a "huh, o well. lalala." response. I didnt like the lady from the start.