PDA

View Full Version : Help why does the game do this???!!!

The Knights of the Round
02-09-2007, 04:17 AM
ok soo i had no school the other day do to the extreme cold or something stupid like that, but anyway while i was sitting at home playing games i decided that i would play pokemon for the first time in ages. so i go and grab my old gameboy and pokemon Silver game, I turn the system on and there was no save file.. soo im thinking ok o well my game erased and i started a new file played up until i beat my rival guy ??? right after he steals a pokemon from profesor elm and i save and shut the game off to eat lunch.. So finally to the point. i turn the game back on and omg New Game?? Wheres continue??? bassically my game keeps erasing and not saving my new file. i have tried about 10 times to make a file that will save but i just wont, soo then i grabbed my gold version and the same thing has happened. The weird thing is that my Red Blue Yellow and Crystal are all fine and have the original save file.. soo if anyone can plz tell me what they know about this problem plz tell me, i just want to know why it keeps erasing and what i can do to fix/prevent this from happening so that i can happily relive my childhood days of playing pokemon?????

XxSephirothxX
02-09-2007, 05:27 AM
The battery in your cartridge is dead. No can save.

o_O
02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Inside each gameboy cartridge, there is a small battery which provides a constant source of power to store your saved games, even when the game is not in use. When the battery dies, the cart drops all saves and can no longer retain a save after the system is turned off.

<a href="http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15464">Here</a> is a guide to replacing it. But it'd be a lot easier to just buy a new cartridge.

Samuraid
02-10-2007, 04:02 AM
It's a shame they didn't just use flash memory or EEPROM...but I guess it was too expensive at the time. :(

o_O
02-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the NeoGeo carts used flash memory.

I guess then you had better be careful about how many times you save then, though. Wouldn't want to exhaust the write limit for the flash chip! :p

Samuraid
02-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Flash is rewritable at least 10,000 times, and most are rewritable well over 100,000 times. I'm sure cost has been an issue in the past though.

JKTrix
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
It's odd that that's happened. The game isnt' that old, and I still have NES carts that have their save data on it (Star Tropics rocks).

But yeah, your best course of action would be to get a new game, or give it up completely. If you don't have the GBA games, you can get both of them, or wait til April with your DS to get the new version.

o_O
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Flash is rewritable at least 10,000 times, and most are rewritable well over 100,000 times.

That was the joke! :p (lol nerd humor)

Also, it's not that long for a CR2025 battery to run dry, if he bought it close to when it was released (2000), and it hasn't been used in a fairly long time.

Killy
02-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Feel safe replacing it yourself, I did it myself for a Gameboy game in the past. Buying another cartridge is not an option, since it is likely that their battery will also be dead or dying.

The Knights of the Round
02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
thanks everyone i found a bettery that has the little metal connectors in the exact right spot and everything on a website for under 2.00$$$ soo yeah im gonna attempt myself, and like Killy said, most games that are used right now (gold, silver wise) probably have a dead or just about dead battery right now, plus ive got nothing to loose messing with the game since it doenst really work in the first place.. well thanks again!!