PDA

View Full Version : You're Writing

rubah
02-09-2007, 08:27 AM
How is your writing?

My writing is rather good, I think. Mine was good enough to get a five on the AP Lang exam (although maybe I just got all the multiple choice right xD hahahahahha lol no). I think I can write kinda good, I just don't ever do it. I put a <a href="http://www.snowy-day.net/index.php?page=writing">writing page</a> on my website and it's pretty bare.

How is your writing? Do you have exquisite style? What about your diction; do you churn out those $5 words like a something something something? Are you a master of the extended metaphor, personifying lions and tigers and bears, or do you prefer the quiet synedoche irrevokably paired with the raging metonymy?

Have you sailed the high seas of details, reining in wild end rhymes and half rhymes and untamable blank verse, keeping your sentence structure fluctuating so that your emphasis falls in the precise points that you would have it directed to? Do you change verb tenses effectively, yet to the dismay of anyone grading your papers? Do you utelize the passive voice to their disgust?

What about your topics? Are they applicable to the subject or do they matter? Is their importance in the real world negligible or are you certain of their sure application? Do you draw in from multiple sources, quoting and citing appropriately?

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Do you double space after every sentence.

Martyr
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I can write anything in any style. I like magical realism best, even though it's pretty much the hardest thing to write well. I have 3 published stories, and I teach the craft, so I better be pretty good.

edit: I write prose, by the way, not poetry. I don't understand poetry. By any style, I mean to say any genre or any... type. I write articles, stories, blogs, press releases and whatever else. I don't use a lot of big words if I can help it, but I do try to find the best word to use in every case. I like silly stuff, but I don't know how to write silly. My best work comes out serious and surreal, and I don't know why. I wish I could write comedy, but I just ain't good enough. Now I'm focusing on screenwriting, since that's where the money's supposed to be.

Craig
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I dunno, I think I might be smarter than the average Bear when it comes to writing. But I'm no picnic basket.

Iceglow
02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I write stories for my characters on an online RPG I play, the game lends itself to that well as the entire game is free rp and text based so that people have to read descriptions for the chars and stuff. I've got one character that has become a hot favourite of mine and a lot of the other players, she's a female Dark Elf who is just pure and simple a psychotic lesbian bitch (pardon the term but it's the only one adequate) She's always got a smart mouth on her. Apparently I play her so well and so in character that some players are surprised to find that in real life I am not one of the few female players on that game but a guy. The characters story is a long one that's covered a lot of time and most of the points I intend to make in it are clearly made. I'd say I am a fair or good author compared to some of the ones we have on here but in comparrison to the ones who play that game I am definitely one of the best ones in the community.

Madame Adequate
02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I am a reasonably accomplished writer - I can add a certain flourish to things when I'm in the right mood that you won't see anywhere else. On the other hand I'm still pretty green at writing narratives. I have to keep practising to get the hang of symbolism, plot/character arcs/development, and probably most important of all becoming more subtle in various techniques. The fewer ways a reader sees that I've manipulated them and their emotions, the happier I shall be.

Nominus Experse
02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Metaphor, symbolism, description, and a certain degree of flourish are what I think to be my forte - though, as with most things concerning one's assets and the like, that is not for me to say, but rather my peers.

Fonzie
02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I write as I speak: Intelligently that is.

fire_of_avalon
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Writing is my entire life and has been since I was 13-years-old. I live it, breathe it, eat it and sleep it. I (make the government ;)) pay thousands of dollars a year for training to do it better. Even in my personal life, my hobbies and my pet projects, I gravitate towards writing.

I don't know how good I am. I'm still in a stage of learning in which my writing doesn't do as I say. If I have an assignment, I sit down at a computer or blank sheet of paper, and it rolls right out of me. I've just recently learned to edit my writing, to revisit it and alter it. It's very hard to do, not because I think it's perfect when it comes out, but because sometimes it's alien to me. Currently, I would say my ability is strong but unstructured. I need to find that structure.

Rocket Edge
02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
The way i write doesn't go along with my speech & grammer. But Irish people tend to talk without pronouncing much word's & use a 'saying' to talk about something rather than tell it how it is, so it's kind of standard imo.

Owen Macwere
02-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I write stories, poems, songs and well, I update my diary like every day.
I write in english better than Arabic which makes my parents laugh for English in my second language not first. xD
I have written a long fantasy story (or you can call it a novel, don't know!). It took me like a whole year to finish and it goes in 500 page. Of course, in english.
I also wrote a second part of it which took like a year and half and went in 623 page. I write poems like everday or every time I feel that I can write something.
Writting is my life and I love my pens and papers!.

Vikeve
02-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not too motivated to write but apparantly I'm good or at least all my teachers praise me when it comes to writting assignments. And I got an A+ on a short story I wrote for my English teacher with the exceptions of a few students who also got an A or on the other end a D the majority got a C-. But then again she said a lot of people didn't get a good grade becuase they couldn't copy the style of Robert cormier (I hope I spelled his name right) so I think I got a good grade becuase I created a paranoid character and I added subjunctive mood and a bunch of similes to make it be perfect.:cool:

Online I don't really care about showing any proof that I know what grammar means.

XxSephirothxX
02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I like to think I'm a very accomplished writer, though I'm probably just "pretty good" at this stage. While chatting, posting on forums, etc. I generally try to be more straightforward and conversational, so I leave out the complex diction and flourish and the most part. It can just sound pompous when you're in a casual setting. :p

I never learned all the grammatical terms for sentence structure and phrasing, which is bad. But I naturally form sentences correctly, so it's not very often that I have to worry about comma splices or other grievous errors. Also, I always double space after a sentence. It bothers me when people don't.

GeneralSapphire
02-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I love writing, it helps get rid of problems but its rubbish!

Shoeberto
02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I like to think I can write well. That says very little as to whether or not I actually am any good at it.

Chloe.
02-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I'm in the top English group, and my English teacher always says I can write well. So I guess I'm pretty good! :bigsmile:

Absconditus_Oraculum
02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't ever write much unless I have to. Don't really think I'm good at it.

oddler
02-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Absolutely and it annoys me to no end that this forum doesn't allow it. :mad2:
Also, call me pedantic but I assume that was supposed to have a question mark at the end of it instead of a period.
Look, everyone! Psy taught me a new word. :)

I like to think I can write well. That says very little as to whether or not I actually am any good at it.

Me, too.

Moon Rabbits
02-09-2007, 09:30 PM
My writing style is ... average I guess? I know I suck at grammar, but other than that I'm pretty articulate. Depending on what I'm writing about my style changes, so the amount of detail I put in is all different.

I can use metaphors pretty effectively, but if I let them drag on too long they eventually only make sense to me :bigsmile:

As for overall skill, I think I'm slightly above average, or just average. Although, I've had more than a few people tell me otherwise (although most comments are positive, not negative).

Oh, and I suck at poetry~<3

Araciel
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
i've always enjoyed writing. in school i actually liked writing essays and theses, where most students hated them. i took as many creative writing classes as i could and then when it was time for post-secondary i went into philo and eng. lit....though i promptly dropped out

i'm trying to be a writer but it's not working out too well, i'm too critical of my own work and don't find anything i write very relatable.

Martyr
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
i'm trying to be a writer but it's not working out too well, i'm too critical of my own work and don't find anything i write very relatable.

Do you have anybody to proofread your stuff?

I mean, your Instability poem probably isn't going to be mistaken for The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock (Or whatever his name is. Apparently the chicks on this forum dig that), but if anything, it was one of the few poems on this site that had a theme I think I can relate to.

Araciel
02-09-2007, 10:22 PM
but of course.

i've been trying to get published but i couldn't afford to keep my agent...so some advice was to try and write short stories and get them into print in local periodicles/publications

it's slow-going...i can't make things too short.

Martyr
02-09-2007, 10:26 PM
The ability to make things shorter is [one of] the most integral part[s] of writing.

One of the things I do is I'll wrtite a 20 page story. Perfect it. Make it real pretty. And then I slice it down to 10, then 5, then 2.
My 5 pager usually doesn't come out too impressive, but I love my short shorts to death

But the point is that the ability to erase anything that isn't perfect is key. If you're not satisfied, or, if I'm not satisfied, it's usually that there's something weak in my piece that I want to hold on to.

Then I kill it. And everything works out.

Araciel
02-09-2007, 10:29 PM
every time i try to condense things it gets the feeling of being overstuffed, and i can't get the pacing right. i generally don't like to make time just pass, usually from one viewpoint a story only lasts a few days at most...i feel it gives more of a visceral feel that way.

only problem being is if you condense something the like, it makes everything edge in together and it just feels like all the themes and ideas are flushed together in some giant crapper.

ah well...just takes more practice...and maybe i should try different pacing

Martyr
02-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Then maybe your problem is that you try to cram too much into your piece from the start.

I don't know about the professional professionals, but I'd generally think that if you have too many themes in your story to condense into a 2 page short short, then you probably have too many themes for a 500 page novel.

But then, my writing is very simple, and more entertaining than deep and intellectual. Again, I don't do poetry. I don't write about dead babies.

I'll agree that practice is the best you can do. Every day. Every night. Keep a little notepad to jot down ideas and revelations and brainstorms while you're shovelling mud out of a giant hole in the ground (or whatever it is that you do)...

Araciel
02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
most of my stories have many converging themes, but if i can't stretch them out and show what i want to say in their own space, it all seems foolish and rough.

i just maybe need to stop trying to send so much thought and focus on what's happening sometimes...i've been told that a lot by friends and what few others i've let read my work.

BarelySeeAtAll
02-09-2007, 10:56 PM
i get told i am good at writing stuff.....but i am also told that my handwriting is crap...it is and i can accept it sucks, but not when it is my friends, "friends", that tell me my writing is bad...it does wonders for my self esteem

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I am a decent writer. When I want to I will end metaphor and plenty of details. My vocabulary stretches far and has considerable breadth. I often find myself helping my roommate rewording things. I have the capacity to expand the smallest of sentence, whether or not it is good thing is up to the reader to decide.

It has been a while though since I wrote anything for fun. Most of my writing has been for essays thus I tend not to have as much creative licences as I do when I write a role playing post, for example.

rubah
02-10-2007, 02:37 AM

Absolutely and it annoys me to no end that this forum doesn't allow it. :mad2:
Also, call me pedantic but I assume that was supposed to have a question mark at the end of it instead of a period.

It's the on-line way to signify a deadpan question. To speak it aloud, you would not raise your voice at the end of the phrase. So, no. No question mark.

That's style 8)

oddler
02-10-2007, 02:40 AM
MY BAD! :p

A while back, I decided to write a book. Not long after that, my laptop died. :(
If I ever get it working again, I'll let you guys see how crapadelic I write.

Araciel
02-10-2007, 02:40 AM
psssh look at my writing. rarely do i include capitalization or punctuation when the situation calls for it.

Laddy
02-10-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm actually a good Mystery and Sci-Fi writer. Otherwise, I suck.

oddler
02-10-2007, 02:44 AM
That's because you're ee cummings.

Leeza
02-10-2007, 02:44 AM
I think I suck at writing and I really don't like it. So, it suprises me that I always got A's for it.

Araciel
02-10-2007, 02:48 AM
I think I suck at writing and I really don't like it. So, it suprises me that I always got A's for it.

speaks volumes for those who fail doesn't it

Martyr
02-10-2007, 02:51 AM
A letter is worth a thousand words.

Dr Aum
02-10-2007, 04:12 AM

My darkest secret--revealed!

As for my writing style, it's been pretty consistently compared to that of Lovecraft. I love long, winding, confusing sentences and archaisms.

EDIT: Now, to separate the men from the malchicks, who uses double spaces after colons? I admit to it.

fire_of_avalon
02-10-2007, 04:17 AM
I never learned all the grammatical terms for sentence structure and phrasing, which is bad. But I naturally form sentences correctly, so it's not very often that I have to worry about comma splices or other grievous errors. Also, I always double space after a sentence. It bothers me when people don't.

Just you wait, babycakes. Just you wait. ;)

Hambone
02-10-2007, 05:07 AM
I wrote the following memoir for this and to demonstrate my writing style. Please ignore any grammatical mistakes. Please read it.

Martyr
02-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Put it in the writing forum.

Hambone
02-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Why? I wrote it to contribute to the thread. I never write to put in threads. That's drawing more attention to myself than needed, unless you really suggest it.

Leeza
02-10-2007, 05:36 AM
In my opinion, that's very good writing, Hambone. :)

Hambone
02-10-2007, 05:39 AM
THANK YOU! :D It's part of the reason why I get A's in English. :)

Madonna
02-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I do not write, fearing that may lead to a paper trail and a possible way of tracking me down.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I've always been fairly good at English and writing, myself. It is heavily involved in my chosen career path, after all.

krissy
02-10-2007, 09:50 PM
i like the wit in the title of this thread

Martyr
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Why? I wrote it to contribute to the thread. I never write to put in threads. That's drawing more attention to myself than needed, unless you really suggest it.

Nah. I just don't like uploading Word files off the net. Takes a long time. My computer starts sounding like a woodchipping machine for about 15 minutes.

But I did it. For you. And I think your writing is fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Araciel
02-10-2007, 10:14 PM

i was tempted to just say

'Yes, yes I am.'

Odaisé Gaelach
02-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Some of my stories are pretty good, and they get fairly well recieved. Others are... not so good.

Poetry is, for better or for worse, beyond me.

rubah
02-11-2007, 12:14 AM

i was tempted to just say

'Yes, yes I am.'

Direct all inquiries concerning the thread title to munty. I wanted it to mimic Evastio's title, but apparently he thought this one was funnier.

Araciel
02-11-2007, 12:55 AM
it's a 6 out of 10 on the funny scale, reasonably funny

on a sidenote, to keep it on le topic, i am going to get published in a local rocker journal...nothing highclass or anything but still !

Hambone
02-11-2007, 04:21 AM

Nah. I just don't like uploading Word files off the net. Takes a long time. My computer starts sounding like a woodchipping machine for about 15 minutes.

But I did it. For you. And I think your writing is fine. You have nothing to worry about.

okthxbye. :)

Dr Unne
02-11-2007, 06:01 AM
I like writing. I got good grades in school for writing assignments, but I don't view my writing as particularly "good". It's a tool. I try to communicate as best I can. I consider my writing a success when you don't notice whether it's good or bad at all, rather you concentrate on what I'm trying to say.

I don't think it's difficult to write something that's technically (grammatically) good. It's like programming a computer, except sloppier. Human language and machine language have a lot in common; if I hadn't become a programmer I may very well have become a linguist.