PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the simple life

Gullick
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I live on a council estate were people are seen as 'commoners', but this suits me down to the ground. I find comfort in simple things, i dont need to have what some people see as a 'fulfilled life', where you learn a load of languages, read a tonne of books, appreciate paintings and art, take a trip around the world and most of all, i dont need to be intellectual and i kinda dislike it when people look down on others because they see them as thier 'intellectual inferiors'. At the end of the day, im happy with my simple life and so are a lot of people who are similar to me.

But im not everyone, so the point of this thread, would you be happy with a simple life or would you prefer one where you are always reaching for new heights and always pushing your limits?

-Gull-

blim
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
i agree with you about intellectual snobbery but i want to be the best person i can be, part of that for me is having a wide range of knowledge and enjoying the pleasure books and art can bring, that said im just as happy in a crowded, sweaty pub watching raucous punk being played hard and fast.

Madame Adequate
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
You are emblematic of everything that is wrong with Britain today.

Craig
02-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm quite happy with living a simple life. I'd take fish and chips over Frog's legs any day.

louby_4eva
02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I live on a council estate too....well not during term time because I'm at uni now. I'm happy when I'm there because it's home. I don't want 'the simple life' anymore. Everywhere I go in uni I hear people saying 'my daddy only gave me £200 this week, that makes me so sad' and it makes me feel better about myself because I worked so hard to get here, I got here on intelligence and effort and they only came here because they don't know what they want to do with their lives and can afford to just hang around for the next three years. I want to make the most out of my life. Pushing the limits. Trying my absolute best to reach my goals. No one believed I'd get to uni because my mum's a single parent and I'm from an 'estate' but I did. My next target is getting a first class degree.....wish me luck :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Madame Adequate
02-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Best of luck to you! Keep working hard and you'll be able to make it. Congrats on making it as far as you have, too.

Nominus Experse
02-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I appreciate and treasure the simple things of life, such as the ability to simply sit in front of the fireplace with my girl, simply sitting together silently and have a sense of comfort and warmth. Although I value such simple things, that does not imply that I am not ambitious. Rather, quite the contrary.

I am constantly planning, developing plans to further various aspects of my life. In a sense, it is a maddening rush in order to give my life meaning in the sense that I can later look back upon my travels and feel accomplished.

But I always find the greater joy is had in the simple things.

fire_of_avalon
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
What's a council estate? And MILF, that's not a very nice thing to say.

I grew up poor in a very rural area, and I often miss it terribly. Right now I'm in school, and I like it too. I think it's good to push yourself, but I don't think it's good to consider yourself superior to others just because you were lucky enough to get educated or to travel or any of those things. Because you're not superior to anyone else. Just because I worked harder to be where I am than my roommate doesn't make me better than her, it just makes me different.

I think if leading a simple life is what you're going to be happy with, then go for it. I know that someday I'll end up in a small house back where I grew up, because that is where I want to be.

But I know what you mean about intellectual snobs. I like to beat them at their own game just to be a meanie. :)

Jess
02-09-2007, 01:51 PM
What's a council estate?
Click! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_house)

I lived on a council estate until I was 6, at which point my Dad got a better job and we moved. We've moved another 2 times since then, as my Dad worked hard to get promotions, and better jobs. I'm happy with a simple life, as long as I have my family, boyfriend and friends. However, I do like to learn, and travel and I have ambitions I'd like to fill and I will push myself to achieve them.

Madame Adequate
02-09-2007, 02:08 PM
What's a council estate? And MILF, that's not a very nice thing to say.

No; but it's true. I have no respect for someone who lacks ambition. And that simplicity, lack of ambition, and general anti-intellectualism which exists in this country is doing long-term, possibly irreperable, harm to it. It's the exact kind of person described who is responsible for the BNP and UKIP getting so many votes, for Britain's constant decline in world standards of education and the like, for rising violence, poverty, and drug problems on these estates, and so on and so forth. I wouldn't care, except my tax money gets wasted on these people.

Edit: Where you live and what you like aren't of any importance*. What you hope to achieve is.

*Although I'll admittedly be prejudiced against someone who doesn't want to "learn a load of languages, read a tonne of books, appreciate paintings and art, take a trip around the world"

louby_4eva
02-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Just because I worked harder to be where I am than my roommate doesn't make me better than her, it just makes me different.

I don't know if that was aimed at me but I didn't mean I feel like I'm better than other people I meant that I feel better about myself.....and that makes me happy :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Christmas
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I am leaving the slums to the upper plate in Midgar Sector 6 next Wednesday. :bigsmile:

Gullick
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
*Although I'll admittedly be prejudiced against someone who doesn't want to "learn a load of languages, read a tonne of books, appreciate paintings and art, take a trip around the world"

I never said that i don't want to, I said I don't need to. I do read books, i have been to many places around the world and I can appreciate a poem, a dance, a painting and even Martial Arts as a way to express the human body. However, i do not need these things to have a fulfilled life. The people I have met who do need these things are usually people who do so so they can show off and look down on others.

And i am disappointed by those people who openly discriminate against others when they dont even know them, its people like this that cause tension and anti-social attitudes in Britain today.

-Gull-