PDA

View Full Version : FFVII and FFX/FFX-2 are linked

DM_Melkhar
02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
There is an article somewhere either on IGN or Wikipedia that shows that the people of Spira are apparently the Ancients. It was stated some time ago by a Squaresoft/Square Enix official. I've tried looking for it, but someone I know found it and didn't tell me what search criteria he used. I forgot which of the two sites he found it on. I'm not lying though.

He said that this official stated something to do with Spira meant that people were able to launch themselves into space. This technology is supposedly created by the Al Bhed child in FFX-2 known as Shinra. It was also stated that Shinra is THE original creator of the Shinra corporation, and that he discovered that there was a way to siphon the planet's life energy to create power.

I'll have another look for this article, unless of course anyone knows where it is.
It exists! It was read out to me. I just wasn't told where it is or how to find it. >_<'

Ryushikaze
02-10-2007, 04:27 PM
They aren't the ancients. Shinra didn't figure out how to use the farplane as energy, he just had the idea.

Otherwise, yes.

DM_Melkhar
02-10-2007, 04:30 PM
They aren't the ancients. Shinra didn't figure out how to use the farplane as energy, he just had the idea.

Otherwise, yes.

Ah yes I remember something like that.
Still, I'd like to see the article and read it for myself.

NeoCracker
02-10-2007, 05:19 PM
It was probably just a reference. Some of that Nostalgia :skull::skull::skull::skull: to try to sell a crappy game.

DM_Melkhar
02-10-2007, 05:35 PM
It was probably just a reference. Some of that Nostalgia :skull::skull::skull::skull: to try to sell a crappy game.

I "liked" FFX for what it is. It was more of a platformer with the Final Fantasy name slapped on it to try to make it sell. The main things that I abhorred about it are:
a.) The sphere grid.
b.) The fact it was linear.
c.) All the characters were able to acquire the same abilities. There are no character classes.
d.) The break hp, mp and damage limits really served no great purpose whatsoever.
e.) You couldn't lose to the end boss, so there was no challenge.
f.) You couldn't fly your airship yourself - because it was linear.

I could add a "g" and query why they felt it necessary to have Tidus run in the same animation as a Chocobo, but hey...

I still enjoyed it for what it actually was though, but it really pales into insignificance compared to every other FF game.

FFX-2 was FAR too easy. A friend said it was definitely Sakaguchi's "chick-flick" before he quit Square.......and I agree. I liked the jobs system because it went back to true FF roots - but! it was still linear, and you still couldn't fly your airship.

I think the ideas behind this reference could be construed as logical, but you're most probably right.

Little Blue
02-10-2007, 05:50 PM
DM, I think (hope) corncracker was talking about X-2, not X :p

Regardless, the IGN article is here: http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/702/702971p1.html (put 005 into you find command to go straight to the relevant bit).

I personally hate and despise this apparent link. I have nothing against references to older titles, but this is too far...

DM_Melkhar
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Regardless, the IGN article is here: http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/702/702971p1.html (put 005 into you find command to go straight to the relevant bit).

I personally hate and despise this apparent link. I have nothing against references to older titles, but this is too far...

X and X-2 - still the same world.
It does seem a bit farfetched, but it's interesting nonetheless.

No.78
02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Wait, this is factual information... o_o

Heh, I always thought it was fan speculation, but this article proves it right!!

However I don't think they're ancients, surely president shinra would be an ancient then too? Unless the human sorta washed out the ancient-ness...

Well maybe! I guess that would make sense.

Little Blue
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
X and X-2 - still the same world.
It does seem a bit farfetched, but it's interesting nonetheless.

So because it's the same world, can't think one is crapper than the other?

And yeah, farfetched, ludicrous, annoying, and I guess interesting nonetheless.

Wait, this is factual information... o_o

It was said by the guy who helped make the game and is reported in the Ultimania guides, how factual do you want to get :p

EDIT: Never mind that last bit, I just saw your edit :p

No.78
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Exactly! So, now people can't say "that's bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:" anymore :P

chrisfffan
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
they are not linked in any way 7 is a classic X is a bore

Disco Potato
02-11-2007, 11:43 PM
The quality of the games (or your opinion of their quality) can't make up for words from the developers' mouths as far as evidence for connections are concerned :p

But yeah, this is pretty awesome. It shows that at least these FF worlds don't start and end with the heroes and villains of their respective games.

NeoCracker
02-12-2007, 12:17 AM

I was actually refering to VIII.

I hope you didn't believe that. Yes, I was refering to X-2. X was a mediocre game at best though, I don't regret playing it at least.

Little Blue
02-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I was actually refering to VIII.

I hope you didn't believe that.

I didn't :p

Yes, I was refering to X-2. X was a mediocre game at best though, I don't regret playing it at least.

Good :p

--One Winged Angel--
02-12-2007, 08:53 AM
bloody hell.....im so sick of hearing crap like this. spira is conected to midgar, yuna is sumhow related to aeris, its bulls**t. htere two totally diferent worlds.....deal with it.

Little Blue
02-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Actually, it seems like it's you who has to deal with this bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:, and / or just read No.78's post :p

silentenigma
02-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Yes, I've read that some guy who helped make FFX and FFVII said he would like to consider FFX-2 as events that occured before FFVII started. Unfortunately, the two stories cannot be linked simply by inserting a child-prodigy Shinra as a character who wants to harness "energy from the farplane" to make a huge city. In FFVII, the Shinra Company started as a weapons developer for the war in Wutai before it was ever interrested in the Mako industry.

Darth Anarcus
02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
God, I hope not. I don't want a game as great as FF7 connected with such a crapfest as FFX-2.

McLovin'
02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
And Final Fantasy 3 is 6 and 6 is millions of years before 12. :)

Renmiri
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Actually Ryu Kaze ( the guy who wrote the translation Duality linked to) has translated an earlier text on X linking Midgar to Spira and ALSO a portion of Ultimania Omega FFVII that confirms the link.

Digging the link as we speak...

EDIT: Found the link!!
http://forums.ffproject.net/showthread.php?t=517

Wolf Kanno
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
FFVII is connected to FFX!
Well that proves it... there is no god...
I mean, how can they connect a decent game (FFVII) to such a bad one? (FFX and it's abomination of a sequel)

The part that really bothers me is that this whole idea seems like it was pulled out of the writers ass. Both Nojima and Kitase are pretty vague about details but it comes off like they just decided to do it after finishing both games. So there was no thought beforehand to connect them. Well, it's official... Nojima and Kitase are talentless hacks...:mad:

Let's just pray that FFXIII isn't going to be the story that connects them.

Renmiri
02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Sacrilege!!!!

FFX is a masterpiece!!!

No.78
02-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I dunno why people are still complaining when we all know it's true now >.>

CimminyCricket
02-28-2007, 03:04 AM
I dunno, do you really think that they would link two games like that together? I mean, every final fantasy has had its own world with other things. Why can't the name Shinra just have be reused the way Biggs and Wedge have been reused.

Radje
02-28-2007, 03:35 AM
My first reaction is to be repulsed. Not because i thought FFX was a worse game than 7 (X-2 was!) but because each Final Fantasy world has, as someone said, always been a virgin world. To know that the ending of X-2 was never truly an end, and in fact was simply ANOTHER 1000 years before the next plot line (of 7 this time) seems like a violation.

However, now that i think about it, the idea of the planets and people being linked is really exciting. It feels to me like three epic books. The storyline of 10 (and regrettable 10-2) - the bit in between - The storyline of 7.

Wouldn't you just love to see how the ancients fell out with each other, stuck on a planet that wasn't their own? The thought of the grand evil of Sin and Yevon meaning nothing in the force of Meteor and Sephiroth's evil plan to help his mother travel from world to world draining their energy...

It makes X seem like only a page in a book.

silentenigma
03-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Yes, I've read that some guy who helped make FFX and FFVII said he would like to consider FFX-2 as events that occured before FFVII started. Unfortunately, the two stories cannot be linked simply by inserting a child-prodigy Shinra as a character who wants to harness "energy from the farplane" to make a huge city. In FFVII, the Shinra Company started as a weapons developer for the war in Wutai before it was ever interrested in the Mako industry.

No matter how cool Square-Enix thinks they are...

The Mog Ninja
03-03-2007, 12:39 PM
there was a discussion on this earlier, both kawaii ryukishi or whatever and TVB (i think) agreed its BS so i reckon its BS

jammi567
03-03-2007, 02:18 PM
How the fu*k is it bullsh*t? It's written right down there on those links mentioned earlier. Of course, this is because X is connected to VII. If it was linked to VIII, then everyone would be going "Ohh, yeah, there must be a link, can't deny that"

Radje
03-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Why would it make any diffeence if it was linked to VIII and no VII. VIII has no planetary underground stream, what it DOES have are messed up timelines and hidden cities.

Renmiri
03-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Tavrobel and Ryukishi know a lot about FF so I doubt they would deny what is on the Ultimania guides. In any case, the games and Ultimania ARE what is "official" in FF so no mere fan can know better. We can only like or dislike the idea ;)

Tavrobel
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Tavrobel and Ryukishi know a lot about FF so I doubt they would deny what is on the Ultimania guides.

I agree with what and the who and the what now?

Wolf Kanno
03-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I think by "Bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:" they mean this idea is stupid... At least that's how I feel about it. Just imagining the plot holes makes both games go a little further down in my book...

Renmiri
03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Tavrobel and Ryukishi know a lot about FF so I doubt they would deny what is on the Ultimania guides.

I agree with what and the who and the what now?
Someone said you told them that FFVII and X-2 aren't linked, regardless of what is on the Ultimania X, X-2 and VII books. I never saw you say that and I never saw you contradict Ultimania guides so I doubted you would say it.

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I mean damn... FFVII has a better chance of being connected to FF: The Spirits Within or FFIX. At least they all shared the Gaia theory plot... This is just ridiculous.

jammi567
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
But you have to remember that there would be a thousands and thousands of years gap between the two games.

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 06:35 PM
look all ff games Have virtually the same story and are based a lot from star wars films save the girl, save the planet bla bla bla

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
u know directors can say lots of things that rnt right, like for some thing or something it said there would be like 4 things but there was only 3... or something...

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2007, 04:05 AM
But you have to remember that there would be a thousands and thousands of years gap between the two games.

ShinRa was a weapons manufacturer before turnig to Mako energy which is stated within the actual game. Aslo the Farplane and the Lifestream seem to work completely differently and the only connection ever given was one lousy line In FFX-2 International. My point is, they decided this on a whim. Because of this they will have to make certain changes in both stories to honestly connect them.

A span of a thousand years is irrelevant and they would have to explain why the Farplane and Spira work completely different from the Lifestream. In Spira, the dead either pass onto the Farplane, become fiends, or remain in the world as apparitions of their former selfs. In FFVII, the Lifestream is the life of the planet and where all life comes from. When you die, you return to the Lifestream and are eventually reborn in the future. Now AC does bring forth the idea that the dead still have some hold on the living but it's presented completely differently from FFX's view.

I don't remember FFX ever mentioning reincarnation except when Wakka tries to justify how much Tidus looks like his brother. In fact, I remember Lulu telling him that it was impossible to come back from the dead. The concessions they make in order for this to work is just going to bad. It will read like bad fanfiction cause it is.

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 04:09 AM
finally, someone who doesnt believe everything they read

Renmiri
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
the Farplane and the Lifestream seem to work completely differently and the only connection ever given was one lousy line In FFX-2 International

Not really. There is a lot connecting them.

I recommend you read Squall of Seed's excellent essay about it, on the EoFF wiki
Spirit, Energy And Memories - The Magic Of Final Fantasy (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/Main/SpiritEnergyAndMemoriesTheMagicOfFinalFantasy)

Written By: Squall of Seed
The purpose of this document is to present my thesis on Magic and memories in Final Fantasy. Essentially, I seek to present that Spirit Energy and/or memories are the source of Magicks in the Final Fantasies. Further, I seek to express the possibility that all Final Fantasy worlds (or, at the least, the worlds of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X/X-2, Tactics, and The Spirits Within) have a Lifestream.

Note that there will be Spoilers ahead from Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, Tactics, Tactics Advance, The Spirits Within, and Unlimited.

jammi567
03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
A span of a thousand years is irrelevant and they would have to explain why the Farplane and Spira work completely different from the Lifestream. In Spira, the dead either pass onto the Farplane, become fiends, or remain in the world as apparitions of their former selfs. In FFVII, the Lifestream is the life of the planet and where all life comes from. When you die, you return to the Lifestream and are eventually reborn in the future. Now AC does bring forth the idea that the dead still have some hold on the living but it's presented completely differently from FFX's view.
sure, SE say they're connected, but it doesn't meran they have to be connected to the same planet.

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Renmiri, I read the Hypothesis and though his points for FVII=FFX/FFX-2 are pretty damn compelling. I feel the rest of his connection theory is just simply a hypothesis and he's "grasping for straws". FFIX has always been considered a "tribute" by Square and by the fans themselves so it's not surprising it shares story concepts with FFVII as well as every FF before it. Though I feel the argument about the Eidilons was manipulated to help his theory, it could simply be "will power" and not necessarily the "collective conscious" of life. FFVI's magic was created by Warring Triad and though it's transfer of power is used in somewhat the same way as Materia, it's ability to be almost permanent (well until the Warring Traid disappeared...) makes it quite different.

This leads into the issue of the Sphere Grid vs. Materia issue. First off, seeing as how their was never a real in-game expalnation for the sphere grid like there was for materia, it's only personal conjecture that says it's the same thing. But then why does the Sphere Grid transfer seem permanet? Whereas Materia's power only stays as long as it is equipped. It doesn't make much sense and we don't get a real explanation for it. I doubt we ever will.

In the end, I still feel this is a stupid idea and I don't really see the purpose in doing it in the first place...

silentenigma
03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

ShinRa was a weapons manufacturer before turnig to Mako energy which is stated within the actual game. Aslo the Farplane and the Lifestream seem to work completely differently and the only connection ever given was one lousy line In FFX-2 International. My point is, they decided this on a whim. Because of this they will have to make certain changes in both stories to honestly connect them.

finally, someone who doesnt believe everything they read

I've been trying to say the same thing!!!

Unfortunately, the two stories cannot be linked simply by inserting a child-prodigy Shinra as a character who wants to harness "energy from the farplane" to make a huge city. In FFVII, the Shinra Company started as a weapons developer for the war in Wutai before it was ever interrested in the Mako industry.

Wolf Kanno
03-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Sorry about that Silent Enigma, I should have quoted you since I only remembered that plot hole because of you post... sorry :laughing:

Crizpy
03-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Lawl gayz, I heer FFIX and FFVII R linked 2.

"LAWL I REMEMBER SOME DOOD WITH SPIKEY HAIR USING SOMETHING LIKE THIS"

Anyway, I think its something made up, couse it would be to stupid to start raping ffvii even more.

Roto13
03-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a few of you are content with holding your hands over your ears and screaming "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!"

Jessweeee♪
03-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Perhaps the FFX storyline was recycled from rejectedFFVII Sequel/Prequel ideas?

jammi567
03-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Errr, no. X is a totally different storyline, with some different concepts.

CloudStrifex
03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I really wanna believe this theory.. it's one of those things lol.
Loosely connected but it sounds so good you wanna believe it.
Kinda like the 'da-vinci code' effect lolol, lets believe Jesus had a daughter called Jessica or something because Dan Brown made it sound interesting.. Shu'up el.

=]

Ryushikaze
04-04-2007, 06:17 AM
There's a difference, though. Let's say that J.K. Rowling writes another series. Let's say she eventually says she wrote this series with several subtle hints that it was the same timeline as HP, and was the same timeline as HP. That's the thing that's happening here. Nojima specifically said "I wrote 10 and 10-2 with the intent of having them be prequels of FF7, and here's a vague idea of how what I set forth in them leads to 7"

Basically, it is writer's fiat which links them. It is excessively difficult to argue with that fiat.

isidro
04-06-2007, 06:18 AM
too many ff7 fanboys omg, stop bashing...X is an excellent game, 7 and 8 were waaay better but 10 is still good...dangit