PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is necessarily a good change...

Grendal
02-10-2007, 10:33 PM
For years, I've been studying Japanese off and on. I admit -- the whole "OMG JAPAN!" trend was what sparked my interest at first, but after really dwelving into the language, I saw no point in backing out. It's been pretty fun, and interesting... but I can't say I really have any practical use for it. On the other hand, I guess it's handy to have around in case it might grant me better career opportunities later on down the road.

That aside, I've had to change much of my speech pattern in order to emulate a native speaker as closely as possible. Of course, I'm nowhere near that level of proficiency, but over the years, I've noticed a gradual change in my tone. The biggest change is my usage of onomatopoeia -- or grunts, laughs, screams, etc. I unconsciously emulate a lot of Japanese phonics in daily expressions. It really hit me when I was laughing at something earlier, and it ressembled Kadaj's laugh to a tee. (much more lame than it sounds...) For some reason, I can't seem to go back to the usual "ow!" or "eek!" I've grown up with, even though I try to be more concious of these patterns. Is it necessarily a bad thing? I don't know... but I imagine I'm getting some weird looks.

Well, yeah. This is an awkward post. I'm half-awake, but thought I would share it, anyway. I guess everyone will just have to continue thinking that I have a weird way of expressing myself anytime I stub my toe or laugh out loud. :mad:

Vikeve
02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
I don't see a problem with it.:) Besides you like the language and I love funny laughs or funny couphs or funny yells.:)

41-Inches-Wide
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I think there's no harm in that, people may find it funny or annoying, but at least that's something peculiar in you.
I myself have an expression when I greet people I know. I go "Aieeya!" with a salute. I can never seem to kick it. But I think people like it.

Roto13
02-11-2007, 12:30 AM
ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke

Xander
02-11-2007, 01:56 AM
ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke
I want to laugh like this :)

Madonna
02-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Actively expose yourself to any culture over a long period of time and you will undoubtedly exhibit signs of it. Heck, exposure to anything for a long period of time will show, as those YOU KNOW YOU ARE AMERICAN WHEN.../YOU HAVE AN ADDICTION TO COCAINE WHEN.../YOU PLAY TOO MUCH FINAL FANTASY WHEN... lists prove. You laugh, you say, "So true!" and that is how it goes.

Dr Aum
02-11-2007, 02:41 AM
Japanese onomatopoeia is fun. Fun, fun, fun.

I support fun in language.

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Too much change might be when you start sneezing differently than you used to.

-

Vincent, Thunder God
02-11-2007, 04:04 AM
That truly is an interesting paragraph Youjiro. I wish I could say I practice other languages with that proficiency, but the closest I have to that is my fairly good grasp of reading French aloud. It's sort of without practical use though, since I can't actually read, write or generally communicate with French. :rolleyes2

Actively expose yourself to any culture over a long period of time and you will undoubtedly exhibit signs of it. Heck, exposure to anything for a long period of time will show, as those YOU KNOW YOU ARE AMERICAN WHEN.../YOU HAVE AN ADDICTION TO COCAINE WHEN.../YOU PLAY TOO MUCH FINAL FANTASY WHEN... lists prove. You laugh, you say, "So true!" and that is how it goes.

Mine should be...

YOU KNOW YOU LISTEN TO TOO MUCH FRANK ZAPPA WHEN...

Grendal
02-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Eh, I suppose sounding like a bishi boy will come in handy if I ever date a Japanophile...

ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke

く、く、く、く、く、く、く、く⋯

Rainecloud
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Good for you.

You should be very proud of your new grunts, noises, etc. :)

Shoeberto
02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke
I want to laugh like this :)
I had a friend who, back during the height of his WoW obsession, would seriously laugh by going "kekekekekekek." I don't know if he ever did it beyond our group of friends but it's funny to think about in retrospect.