PDA

View Full Version : U.S. to release new dollar coins.

escobert
02-11-2007, 05:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_bi_ge/money_ap_poll

So how do you feel about the dollar coins? I use to have a lot because my old jobs vending machines would accept 10's and 20' so it gave you dollar coins back. I don't mind them. Gives me more change in the pocket but less 1's in the wallet.

Leeza
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
You're finally catching up to Canada I see. Canada's had the Loonie and the Toonie for ages. You'll have to make changes in how you carry your money around because these coins have a way of weighing you down after awhile. And they're much bulkier. Much harder to counterfiet though, I would think. :)

I would rather have my paper one's and two's back. :cat:

Dr Unne
02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
They release new dollar coins every 10 years. People either don't use them at all, or horde them. Probably this will also fail.

In the past we had a Native American lady I've never heard of, and Susan B. Anthony. They were important figures maybe, but not important enough to be on money, in my opinion. Sticking some presidents on there may make people like it more.

Shoeberto
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
The reason a dollar coin has never taken off is because, honestly, who enjoys carrying change? Paper bills are much easier to fumble through than having cylindrical pieces of metal sliding all over the place, searching for just the right one to complete your purchase.

I'm all about getting rid of the penny, however.

In the past we had a Native American lady I've never heard of
You've seriously never heard of Sacagawea?

rubah
02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic myself, but whatev.

It just figures they'd put the ladies on the coins that we never use :(

I want half dollars back. Those are awesome huge.

Dr Unne
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM

I know the name, and knew that she was a Native American lady who helped someone in some way. Nothing more than that. But American history does not interest me.

escobert
02-11-2007, 06:19 PM
She helped lead Lewis and Clark.

oddler
02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I know more about ol' Sac than I do Ms. Anthony. :p Lewis and Clark, man. Lewis and Clark.

I hate coins because they're too hard to organize. We need a pez dispenser for coins.

Dr Aum
02-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I abhor coinage.

Let's hope that this piece is another failure.

Leeza
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
See, there's the problem with America. You have to use birds and bears on your coins in order for them to take off. Who cares about past presidents and history? :)

Rye
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I prefer dollars in paper. They're lighter and they smell nicer and if you drop them, you can see them easier.

Shoeberto
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic myself, but whatev.

It just figures they'd put the ladies on the coins that we never use :(

I want half dollars back. Those are awesome huge.
The movie theater in Richmond always give change in half-dollars. I have two of them on hand right now, actually.

rubah
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
See, there's the problem with America. You have to use birds and bears on your coins in order for them to take off. Who cares about past presidents and history? :)

no one cares about state quarters anymore.

Roto13
02-11-2007, 06:58 PM

I know the name, and knew that she was a Native American lady who helped someone in some way. Nothing more than that. But American history does not interest me.

She helped lead Lewis and Clark.

I learned that on The Simpsons. ^__^

*ahem* I miss being able to deposit $2 into a ATM.

Shlup
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
As long as they're the right size to carry in my ears I'm down.

Shoeberto
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
*ahem* I miss being able to deposit $2 into a ATM.[/COLOR]
I keep forgetting my resolution to start taking money out of the bank in $2. Those things are sweet.

Madame Adequate
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
As someone who's used both bills and coins for a single unit of a currency denomination, I recommend you keep dollar bills. Too many coins really suck.

Chloe.
02-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah coins suck, I have like 50 1p and 2p coins in my purse, and I can never get rid of them. :(

Psychotic
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
As someone who's used both bills and coins for a single unit of a currency denomination, I recommend you <s>keep</s> eliminate dollar bills. Too many <s>coins</s> notes, although I'll refer to them as "bills" in order to satisfy you crazy Americans and your inferior interpretation of the English language, really suck.

Raistlin
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Let's see:

-coins don't fit in wallets
-lots of coins are more of a bother to carry around than lots of bills (in fact, lots of bills are no bother, since they all go in the wallet)

By any standard of ease and comfort, bills are superior. These new dollar coins will be loved by collectors and people who like anything new as a novelty, but will not catch on in regular use.

Araciel
02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Let's see:

-coins don't fit in wallets
-lots of coins are more of a bother to carry around than lots of bills (in fact, lots of bills are no bother, since they all go in the wallet)

By any standard of ease and comfort, bills are superior. These new dollar coins will be loved by collectors and people who like anything new as a novelty, but will not catch on in regular use.

yeah but as inflation devalues a single dollar, why bother keeping them in your wallet anyway

Madame Adequate
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
As someone who's used both bills and coins for a single unit of a currency denomination, I recommend you <s>keep</s> eliminate dollar bills. Too many <s>coins</s> notes, although I'll refer to them as "bills" in order to satisfy you crazy Americans and your inferior interpretation of the English language, really suck.

Their interpretation is inferior?

Scouser, mate. Scouser is all I have to say.

And yeah, also, what Wes said. Coins are just irritating bastards, I don't like carrying more than a half dozen around 'cause my wallet starts bulging like a pus-filled Scouser.

Psychotic
02-11-2007, 10:54 PM
And I thank the gods on Mount Olympus that I am neither a scouser nor an American every day.

I keep any loose change I acquire in my pocket and it does the job well enough. I dislike having to fumble through the $1 bills to find the bills which are actually worth something.

No_face
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Americans are stubborn and pretty ruthless bout change ( the coin type and the altering kind) and carrying it around, though i must say, Canadians have complete ease using the Loons and Toonies :D yay canadians.

It was thought nice to see they atleast tried to accomadate, with the gold dollar coin/pop machines though:)

Thank whatever, i'm happy im English. :D

Xaven
02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
We should all just use some sort of cash cards. Screw paper and metal. :o

I suspect this new money form not to prosper.

Ashley Schovitz
02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Yay for gold coins!!!! I love coins!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-12-2007, 02:30 AM
As coins can be heavier, they are also cheaper for a government to make. Bills on an average have what? A life span of 25 years? Coins can last centuries. As much as I find coins somewhat cumbersome I like Loonies and Toonies. They rock. Plus if you forget coins in your pocket, they can easily survive the wash.

kikimm
02-12-2007, 02:33 AM
I hate how they keep trying to force these things on us. Ugh. I like my paper money.

Misfit
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Paper, please. >_>

Am I the only person that actually enjoys history? :(

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Fuck the dollar coin. I think we just need to start using 2 dollar bills more. That would reduce the need for 1 dollar bills. Instead of 4 singles you get 2 doubles. 3 Singles becomes a double and a single. Less bills to carry around and organize is always a plus.

escobert
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
But when you figure we'll save millions of dollars in printing costs you still think having a bit more change is such a big deal?

edczxcvbnm
02-13-2007, 03:51 PM
But when you figure we'll save millions of dollars in printing costs you still think having a bit more change is such a big deal?

Yes! I rarely lose paper but coins tend to fall out of pockets because I am not a *insert derogatory phrase against gays* and thus don't carry a purse.

If I am buying something and I am going to get some of these loser coins back then I will return the item right there and then...unless I desperately need it. I will just re-buy it with credit. I am not accepting these damn dollar coins.

rubah
02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
^ a woman?

Yeah I'm not one of those either! Purses are dumb! My wallet slips out of my pants pocket a lot so I have to work hard to keep up with it :( I figure in the long run as I'm a girl it'll be a thief deterrant, especially if i carry a purse full of tampons and pads.

Misfit, what do you mean about paper and history? I clearly don't know enough history :(

Mirage
02-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I really don't like either coins nor bills. I'd rather just use my debit card everywhere. Because of that, I never carry around enough coins for them to be annoyingly heavy or such. I think it's easier to keep the big munnies separated from the small munnies with a combination of bills and coins.

Momiji
02-16-2007, 01:25 AM

no one cares about state quarters anymore.

People actually cared to begin with?

escobert
02-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Paper, please. >_>

Am I the only person that actually enjoys history? :(

I was a history major!

Mo-Nercy
02-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I can't imagine using a dollar or two dollar note. Seriously, those values aren't plastic worthy to me (plastic bills in Australia). We got gold coins for $1 and $2 and it works just fine.