PDA

View Full Version : The Story?

chrisfffan
02-11-2007, 11:40 PM
is their anything in the games story that you would like to change? i think it would of been better if it was the same villain all the way through i think Edea was the much better villain.

Goldenboko
02-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Give the characters a real backstory and not the excuse of a backstory they gave it, make the love story unforced, and place more character devolpment in characters that aren't Squall and Rinoa.

RyanML
02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
make the end a bit more comprehendable, i think this game is amazing, but i always get put off by the end (esthar>) and usually stop playing at that point.

jammi567
02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
i think it would of been better if it was the same villain all the way through i think Edea was the much better villain.
technically, there was a constant villan throught: Ultimecia. She was the one who controlled Edea for half the game, as well as create the paradox that causes an endless loop.

cloud21zidane16
02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
more character development and agree with goldenboco, less of the love story

Disco Potato
02-12-2007, 04:10 AM
It would've been nice if Ultimecia was fleshed out more (no pun intended). Not to get all fan-fictiony, but I think it would've been interesting if her past was sort of a parallel to Squall's. I have no idea how that would work though :p

The Crystal
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
is their anything in the games story that you would like to change? i think it would of been better if it was the same villain all the way through i think Edea was the much better villain.

You think that Ultimecia was a better villain than Ultimecia? :confused:

Give the characters a real backstory and not the excuse of a backstory they gave it, make the love story unforced, and place more character devolpment in characters that aren't Squall and Rinoa.

I agree. And give more backstory to Ultimecia, explain why Ellone have her powers, and why the Lunar Cry happens.

McLovin'
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
In all FF's the main villain is always revealed 75% in. This one is no exception. The only exception I can think of is Necron in FF9.

I would change nothing. The game was absolutely marvelous.

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
In all FF's the main villain is always revealed 75% in. This one is no exception. The only exception I can think of is Necron in FF9.

Oh really? Sephiroth FFVII, you knew about him basically the entire game. Kuja was the real main villian of FFIX and you knew about him by the end of the first disc. FFXII, Vayne is introduced within the first couple of hours. And what about Kefka of FFVI? I rest my case.

chrisfffan
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
and i think with Edeas case she had more personality and character then Ultimecia i know Ultimecia did control Edea but its not the same.

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes it is, she had total control over her mind therefore, anything Edea said at the time= Ultimecia Speaking

chrisfffan
02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
so who do you think was the better character?

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, Edea, because there is no character to judge when it comes to Ultimecia. With that said, Edea's role should remained what it was, just we really should know more about Ultimecia, otherwise she's going to be an awful character.... like she is.

chrisfffan
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
well you don’t get to know her do you? you know she’s bad and you hear about how she wants to compress time so it probably would of been better if you would of seen more of her.

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 09:49 PM
well you don’t get to know her do you? you know she’s bad and you hear about how she wants to compress time so it probably would of been better if you would of seen more of her.

That's exactly what I just said!

rubah
02-12-2007, 09:55 PM
They could fill in things, but the main story should be left alone. Some things in life you just have to grimace with a smile and carry on with.

chrisfffan
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
yea i loved the game but i really think it would of been better if Edea was the bad guy a lot of the story would of had to of been changed i wonder if it would of been better or worse?

bwave
02-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I would have made the main characters die.

chrisfffan
02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
yea it would of had to of been totally different that’s why i don’t understand when people say it hasn’t got a story.

The Crystal
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Chrisfffan and Goldenboco, you two know the diference between "mind controll" and "body possession"?

Goldenboko
02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Chrisfffan and Goldenboco, you two know the diference between "mind controll" and "body possession"?

Well it could be the same thing, dependent on how the mind control is used. If you use the mind control to make the user do whatever your currently doing (including speech and body movement) then the are basically identical. :P

I see that you are trying to say Edea in the first half of the game is Ulti. I understand that and accept that, but you don't even see enough of her there, because her lines are usually completely worthless and are usually comprised of something in the lines of "All SeeDs must die!"

The Crystal
02-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Well it could be the same thing, dependent on how the mind control is used. If you use the mind control to make the user do whatever your currently doing (including speech and body movement) then the are basically identical. :P

I see that you are trying to say Edea in the first half of the game is Ulti. I understand that and accept that, but you don't even see enough of her there, because her lines are usually completely worthless and are usually comprised of something in the lines of "All SeeDs must die!"

But you remember what happened in space, when Squall's mind go to the past? He saw Edea's body collapsed in the ground, and then he saw Ultimecia's soul/mind(in the form of the first form that you fight in the final battle(her true body), but transparent). She looked at him and said something like "You don't belong to this time. Get out!" AND after this, her soul/mind litteraly entered Rinoa's body, possesing it. This is a prove that Ulti was litteraly inside of Edea. But unfortunately, this is the scene that most people forget, and because of Zemus and Golbez's relation in FFIV(simple mind controll), people think that Ultimecia and Edea's relation is the same.

atlanteay
02-13-2007, 01:13 AM

Oh really? Sephiroth FFVII, you knew about him basically the entire game. Kuja was the real main villian of FFIX and you knew about him by the end of the first disc. FFXII, Vayne is introduced within the first couple of hours. And what about Kefka of FFVI? I rest my case.

yes really, Kuja wasn't he final villain for IX, it was Necron. Kefka, you didn't know he'd be the final villain until later. Vayne, you wouldn't know the final encounter was with him till the end. Only FF7 proved that Sephiroth was the main villain to fight in the end. Just like in FF4, you thought Golbez was the final guy to fight but it turned out to be Zeromus. So this game is no different.

NeoCracker
02-13-2007, 01:35 AM

yes really, Kuja wasn't he final villain for IX, it was Necron. Kefka, you didn't know he'd be the final villain until later. Vayne, you wouldn't know the final encounter was with him till the end. Only FF7 proved that Sephiroth was the main villain to fight in the end. Just like in FF4, you thought Golbez was the final guy to fight but it turned out to be Zeromus. So this game is no different.

Necron was indeed the final villian, but hardly the main one. Kuja did the planning, the work, and was behind everything that happened throughout FF IX, not Necron. Being the last fight does not make you the main villian. Another Example of this could be WA4, though I won't go into details there.

Goldenboko
02-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Necron was indeed the final villian, but hardly the main one. Kuja did the planning, the work, and was behind everything that happened throughout FF IX, not Necron. Being the last fight does not make you the main villian. Another Example of this could be WA4, though I won't go into details there.

Thanks corn you just saved me some typing.

chrisfffan
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
The final villains apart from Sephiroth always seem to be a load of crap in 8 , IX and X but I think the best battle out of all of them was Ultimecia.

jammi567
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Why do people have to affect the other boards with Sephiroth spam?

McLovin'
02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
The only exception I can think of is Necron in FF9.

I already said FF9 was an exception. So booyakasha.

jammi567
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
that's rarther difficult when she lives generations and generations in the future

chrisfffan
02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
that’s true thinking about it she’s quite a good villain i just like Edea as a villain when she is possessed by Ulti better!

jammi567
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
But Edea is totally under Ultimecia's control, though.

The Crystal
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
that’s true thinking about it she’s quite a good villain i just like Edea as a villain when she is possessed by Ulti better!

What you are sying then, is that you like Ultimecia's personality but with Edea's look(body)?

ShivaBlizzard8
02-14-2007, 04:43 AM
To fix the script, several things need to happen:

1. The Squall/Rinoa thing needs to happen gradually. We go from "I hate you" to "I need Rinoa!" in 30 seconds flat. There were scenes which could have used reactions to create tension that didn't. Also, I personally think the story would be more dramatic coming from Rinoa's point-of-view, espeically if her character emphazised her more bad-ass rebel/warrior, family problems side. The Squall/Rinoa/Seifer dynamic would have had more room to grow that way. Plus, it is her journey - Squall just has a teenage revelation along the way.

2. The secondary characters need to have their own plotlines. They had great personalities, but we never got to know them. Also, the whole "we were all knew each other as kids but then forgot" thing is uncecessary. I'd drop it.

3. The villian arc needs to be steamlined. First, I don't think we need to get rid of Edea or Ulty or whatever. But it needs to be clear from the start that Edea is possessed, or at least that there is something off about her. I would have her begin as Cid's wife, but have her doing suspicious things. Gradually she would become more evil. Then, so when you find out she's possessed, it comes less out of left field.

On a similar note, Ulty needs some specific motivation - why go through all the time compression nonesense? Why not just blow up the planet? What exactly is she trying to accomplish?

The Crystal
02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
On a similar note, Ulty needs some specific motivation - why go through all the time compression nonesense? Why not just blow up the planet? What exactly is she trying to accomplish?

This is explained in the game. If you Scan her final form, you will read "Ultimecia, transformed to absorb all time and space. Absorbing all existence as we speak." Ultimecia wanted to absorb existence and become God. Simple as that.

abrojtm
02-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Change Squall from an angst-ridden teen to a legitamate protagonist.
Change Rinoa from a sleezy slut to a legitamate love interest.
Make Irvine come out of the closet.

...Yea, that's about it.

PuPu
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM

This is explained in the game. If you Scan her final form, you will read "Ultimecia, transformed to absorb all time and space. Absorbing all existence as we speak." Ultimecia wanted to absorb existence and become God. Simple as that.
I thought the game said that she compressed time to destroy the SeeDs. Which was kind of stupid, considering she killed all the SeeDs in her time period.

jammi567
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
If that's true, then it would be the SeeD's you control

TyphoonThaReapa
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
I would give Rinoa a black girl's ass, Squall bullets for his gunblade, Take the coffee away from Selphie, Zell a more not gay habit, Quistis a black girl's ass, and kill Irvine. PERFECT!!!:cool:

jammi567
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
except that the gunblade isn't actually a gun. it's only a sword with a gun trigger attached to produce a vibration to make the sword do more damage

silentenigma
02-14-2007, 08:25 PM
is their anything in the games story that you would like to change?

yes. everything.

TyphoonThaReapa
02-14-2007, 08:52 PM
except that the gunblade isn't actually a gun. it's only a sword with a gun trigger attached to produce a vibration to make the sword do more damage

Well, I'll make it shoot dammit!:cool:

Darth Anarcus
02-14-2007, 09:04 PM
The only two things I would change about the story are the following:

1. The orphanage revelation. That was quite unanimously considered crap by everyone, fan and non-fan alike.

2. The characters saw all kinds of war during the course of the game. War changes you. It's a proven fact. Yet the only one who changed was Squall? That's lazy writing and needs to be remedied. Let Irvine become the hero he aspired to be. Let Selphie learn to not be so naive and grow up. And Zell... Kill him off. He was completely useless and contributed absolutely nothing to the story at all, neither the plot nor personal character developement.

Other than that, I wouldn't touch a thing. The game is golden.

TyphoonThaReapa
02-14-2007, 09:25 PM
The only two things I would change about the story are the following:

1. The orphanage revelation. That was quite unanimously considered crap by everyone, fan and non-fan alike.

2. The characters saw all kinds of war during the course of the game. War changes you. It's a proven fact. Yet the only one who changed was Squall? That's lazy writing and needs to be remedied. Let Irvine become the hero he aspired to be. Let Selphie learn to not be so naive and grow up. And Zell... Kill him off. He was completely useless and contributed absolutely nothing to the story at all, neither the plot nor personal character developement.

Other than that, I wouldn't touch a thing. The game is golden.

A'yo, you sound like Simon the American Idol jughe:eek: ....that's not cool:eep:

Hazzard
02-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree with Typhoon.
I dont like the way you're applying that Zell should be killed off, because his character development isn't that up to scratch.
He was a great character, who i liked very much, plus he had helped you out in many tough spots, and he was a character made to humour the game players, and thats just what he did- made the game fun!!!

You do sound a bit like Simon Cowell from American idol though...

Darth Anarcus
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Sorry for having an opinion.

jammi567
02-14-2007, 11:29 PM
That's okay,it's just that some people don't like it when their 'perfect' ideas are challanged.

TyphoonThaReapa
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry for having an opinion.

That's okay,it's just that some people don't like it when their 'perfect' ideas are challanged.

A'yo. jammi567's right. That's your idea. The only person that can change it is you. But A'yo, I dobt anyone challange mine. It works for everyone.:cool:

Angel_from_hell
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I wouldn´t want to change a thing in the storyline, FF8 was the first FF game I ever played and I love it more than any other game I have played.

I don´t see anything that isn´t good with the storyline, and the characthers are so lovely I loved them all. But the only thing I didn´t really like was the part were the most of the characthers knew each others as kids.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Everything about the game (including the story) was to my liking. I wouldn't change a thing

TyphoonThaReapa
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Everything about the game (including the story) was to my liking. I wouldn't change a thing

I wouldn´t want to change a thing in the storyline, FF8 was the first FF game I ever played and I love it more than any other game I have played.

I don´t see anything that isn´t good with the storyline, and the characthers are so lovely I loved them all. But the only thing I didn´t really like was the part were the most of the characthers knew each others as kids.

A'yo, same here. The first Final Fantesy and the first game to ever influence me to the person I am today. Wouldn't chage a thing. Although, black girl asses is the s*** son.:cool:

silentenigma
02-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I would change...the following:

sounds good to me!

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Where to begin...

First, build better backstories for everyone...

Quistis' infatuation with Squall should have been dragged out a bit longer. She got dissed and drops it about a few hours into the plot and yet she brings it up again at the end? She really needs to stand up and show us the "child prodigy" the game tries to make her out to be. We need more scenes of her taking charge and kicking ass like the Dollet invasion.

Selphie could have matured a bit more as the story progressed, I also wish they had done more with her "relationship" with Irvine.

Zell, good lord... First, I would have actually done something with the tidbit of information that was released about him on the offical site, waaaay back before it came out. They mention Zell became a SeeD and studied martial arts because of his close relationship with his late grandfather. I think the game briefly mentions him when you go to Zell's house but nothing more. This information here has a wealth of potential to show off a better less annoying side of his character.

Irvine, didn't bother me too much. I wish he had done more hinting of the stupid "orphanage" twist instead of laying it out there like it came out of left field:rolleyes2 I also would have liked to see him mature as a soldier as well.

Rinoa, needs something to make her standout more. As much story as they put into her, I still feel she was rather forgettable. I probably would have completely dropped her relationship with her father cause it makes her seem more childish than likable. I think I would have made her more of an opposite to Squall than she really was. She should have had a zest for life and been more optimistic. You know, the way she appears to be when she first showed up at the dance. It would have made her sorcerous plot twist more compelling. Everyone's worried and here she is being "Miss Positive" and assuring them she's alright even though you know it's "not going to be alright".

Seifer, is probably the greatest disappointment of FFVIII. He has such potential to be a wonderful character and gets relegated to "thug" status. "Thug" status belongs to little bitches like Raijin and Fuijin, not guys like Seifer. First, Seifer should have played a larger role in the overall story. Pushed the whole rivalry, maybe let Edea/Ultemacia give him some real power so he can put up a fight. Second, we should have made the love triangle something real; instead of mentioning that one could start and never talking about it again... Show the softer more lovable side of Seifer, the one that wanted to become a "knight" to protect his "queen". It would have made for a compelling relationship between him and Squall as well as add to Squall relationship with Rinoa.

Ultemacia needs a better motive. She wants to become a god but why? To destoy SeeDs? She already accomplished that in her own time line. The least they could have done is said that being hunted by SeeD all her life made her mind snap, so she decided to compress time and become a god to eliminate all SeeD's from history. It's still a lousy motive but at least it's better than just showing up and saying you wanted to be a god even though time compression looked like something that was going to erase the existence of all life to accomplish anyway...

Plot elements that needed to be touched up...

The orphanage twist. I wouldn't get rid of it completely. I would have ran with it cause it created an interesting element in the story, which was completely dropped after it was mentioned. I would first have Irvine hint more to his knowledge of everyone and Edea. I also would have made Selphie be similiar since she's the next SeeD member that has had the least GF contamination. I liked the idea of the GF's stealing the parties memories in exchange for power. It could have created an interesting moral dilemna. Watching Squall and the others lose their memories as the story goes along. The love story could have been made even better by having a point late in the game, where Squall is trying to remember what he's trying to protect and all you can see from his memory is a fuzzy image of Rinoa. It all could have been so intersting and create a really compelling story but no we decide to make the story focus on time travel :rolleyes2

I wish we could have had an explanation of how Ellone got her powers. I would have liked to see the party remember more about their pasts as the story went along. I also would have appreciated a little more info on the GF's and their relationship to the world.

These touch ups and FFVIII could actually live up to it's potential. BTW as harsh as I seem, I actually like FFVIII. It's not my favorite but I don't necessarily feel it's the worse game in the series either. I just saw a game with a lot of potential and I just wanted to see it live up to it. That's all:)

TyphoonThaReapa
02-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Where to begin...

First, build better backstories for everyone...

Quistis' infatuation with Squall should have been dragged out a bit longer. She got dissed and drops it about a few hours into the plot and yet she brings it up again at the end? She really needs to stand up and show us the "child prodigy" the game tries to make her out to be. We need more scenes of her taking charge and kicking ass like the Dollet invasion.

Selphie could have matured a bit more as the story progressed, I also wish they had done more with her "relationship" with Irvine.

Zell, good lord... First, I would have actually done something with the tidbit of information that was released about him on the offical site, waaaay back before it came out. They mention Zell became a SeeD and studied martial arts because of his close relationship with his late grandfather. I think the game briefly mentions him when you go to Zell's house but nothing more. This information here has a wealth of potential to show off a better less annoying side of his character.

Irvine, didn't bother me too much. I wish he had done more hinting of the stupid "orphanage" twist instead of laying it out there like it came out of left field:rolleyes2 I also would have liked to see him mature as a soldier as well.

Rinoa, needs something to make her standout more. As much story as they put into her, I still feel she was rather forgettable. I probably would have completely dropped her relationship with her father cause it makes her seem more childish than likable. I think I would have made her more of an opposite to Squall than she really was. She should have had a zest for life and been more optimistic. You know, the way she appears to be when she first showed up at the dance. It would have made her sorcerous plot twist more compelling. Everyone's worried and here she is being "Miss Positive" and assuring them she's alright even though you know it's "not going to be alright".

Seifer, is probably the greatest disappointment of FFVIII. He has such potential to be a wonderful character and gets relegated to "thug" status. "Thug" status belongs to little bitches like Raijin and Fuijin, not guys like Seifer. First, Seifer should have played a larger role in the overall story. Pushed the whole rivalry, maybe let Edea/Ultemacia give him some real power so he can put up a fight. Second, we should have made the love triangle something real; instead of mentioning that one could start and never talking about it again... Show the softer more lovable side of Seifer, the one that wanted to become a "knight" to protect his "queen". It would have made for a compelling relationship between him and Squall as well as add to Squall relationship with Rinoa.

Ultemacia needs a better motive. She wants to become a god but why? To destoy SeeDs? She already accomplished that in her own time line. The least they could have done is said that being hunted by SeeD all her life made her mind snap, so she decided to compress time and become a god to eliminate all SeeD's from history. It's still a lousy motive but at least it's better than just showing up and saying you wanted to be a god even though time compression looked like something that was going to erase the existence of all life to accomplish anyway...

Plot elements that needed to be touched up...

The orphanage twist. I wouldn't get rid of it completely. I would have ran with it cause it created an interesting element in the story, which was completely dropped after it was mentioned. I would first have Irvine hint more to his knowledge of everyone and Edea. I also would have made Selphie be similiar since she's the next SeeD member that has had the least GF contamination. I liked the idea of the GF's stealing the parties memories in exchange for power. It could have created an interesting moral dilemna. Watching Squall and the others lose their memories as the story goes along. The love story could have been made even better by having a point late in the game, where Squall is trying to remember what he's trying to protect and all you can see from his memory is a fuzzy image of Rinoa. It all could have been so intersting and create a really compelling story but no we decide to make the story focus on time travel :rolleyes2

I wish we could have had an explanation of how Ellone got her powers. I would have liked to see the party remember more about their pasts as the story went along. I also would have appreciated a little more info on the GF's and their relationship to the world.

These touch ups and FFVIII could actually live up to it's potential. BTW as harsh as I seem, I actually like FFVIII. It's not my favorite but I don't necessarily feel it's the worse game in the series either. I just saw a game with a lot of potential and I just wanted to see it live up to it. That's all:)

HOLY S***!!!!! You must really hate this game. Basterd...:mad:

Rocket Edge
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
To me, i wouldn't like to change anything about it, because everything worked for a reason. It made one hell of a game, so i'd leave it the way it is.

LunarWeaver
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I adore this game's plot :jess:. I wouldn't want it to change. The only thing I would add is some more important screentime for Quistis and Irvine =o.

Emery
03-01-2007, 12:39 AM
To me, i wouldn't like to change anything about it, because everything worked for a reason. It made one hell of a game, so i'd leave it the way it is.

^_^

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2007, 07:11 AM

I don't hate the game, I found it to be rather charming;) . I just feel it has some major flaws and I wished to address them. I also thought it would be more interesting to give more detailed answers rather than

Better background, better motive for Ultemacia, and get rid of the orphanage plot twist...

I may have come off "overly critical" but it's only cause I care:love:

TyphoonThaReapa
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM

I don't hate the game, I found it to be rather charming;) . I just feel it has some major flaws and I wished to address them. I also thought it would be more interesting to give more detailed answers rather than

Better background, better motive for Ultemacia, and get rid of the orphanage plot twist...

I may have come off "overly critical" but it's only cause I care:love:

A'yo, I see where you commin' from.:cool:

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Some people are more critical then others it like with the new final fantasy game I have played it for a couple of days and I think its really good then you come on here and theirs about 8 threads saying how crap it is I think some people play games and think of things to say that are wrong about it instead of enjoying the game.