PDA

View Full Version : Screen

Tasura
02-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Ok th screen on my new laptop seems to have died, from startup I can see the Windows startup stuff, but a few seconds after it starts the screen goes black,and no matter what I do, it stays black. My old laptop did that over the summer, but it was always black, and not just after startup, and to fix it I had to send it to Staples twice, so is there anything I could do to 'fix' my new laptop other then sending it back to where I got it to get the screen replaced?

Levian
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Ugh yeah, I had the same problem with my last laptop. I'd be interested in getting an answer to this too.

Endless
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Does it do it with a linux live CD?

Did you try plugging an external monitor, to see if Windows isn't using the external display by default?

Tasura
02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
No clue, dont have that =P

Did you try plugging an external monitor, to see if Windows isn't using the external display by default?

I also dont have an external monitor, but is there some way to check without one?

Endless
02-12-2007, 05:48 PM

I also dont have an external monitor, but is there some way to check without one?

Find a friend/parent who has one? All you need is a regular desktop monitor, and plug it into the plug that's most likely at the back of your laptop. I mean, if your laptop's not working, what are you using to post here?

Tasura
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Find a friend/parent who has one? All you need is a regular desktop monitor, and plug it into the plug that's most likely at the back of your laptop. I mean, if your laptop's not working, what are you using to post here?

The old laptop I mentioned in the first post =P I sacrifced a printer in order to have room to keep my old laptop with me at uni incase soemthing like this happened. Ill try that, if my friend is in his room.

crono_logical
02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
You could also try the Function Key + F7/F8/whatever key has multiple monitor symbols on it, to try to tell it to use the LCD screen if it really is trying to use an external monitor/TV causing that problem :p You may have to press this combination multiple times to cycle through the various multiple screen modes it supports :p

Tasura
02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
You could also try the Function Key + F7/F8/whatever key has multiple monitor symbols on it, to try to tell it to use the LCD screen if it really is trying to use an external monitor/TV causing that problem :p You may have to press this combination multiple times to cycle through the various multiple screen modes it supports :p

Thanks Arche, that fixed it :p.