PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for someone else to take over?

Darth Anarcus
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I love the pre-PS2 Final Fantasy games. And while I did like FFX and FF12 (FFX-2 being just a waste of time and an embarrassment), I find that they are lacking that certain thing that the older platform games had. FFX had pretty decent characters for the most part whom we cared about, but the story premise--while well-carried out and made interresting, in my opinion--was quite weak. FF12 was asthetically pleasing, having an okay story, but the plot is hard to follow and the characters are bland, uninterresting and flat. We do not care about them one bit. In fact, the main character--Vaan--is the most boring, bland and flat character out of them all, which isn't good. Baltheir, Basch and Ashe were okay, but the character developement was still limited.

And then we have the FF7 Compilation, which is being handled entirely wrong. Advent Children lacked any substance, and Dirge of Cerberus was a weak attempt at expanding upon one character's past (though I did enjoy it, if nothing else than for the gameplay's sake). I've never played Before Crisis as I don't have a Japanese phone, and I have a feeling that Crisis Core isn't going to be any better.

And although I've not played it, I've heard that Crystal Chronicles is wank, too.

I'd say it started when they merged with Enix, but FFX--where it started, in my opinion--was before the merger. It seems that Square is losing its touch. For the sake of preserving the integrity of this once great series, I sincerely hope that Square will one day (hopefully soon) sell the franchise to someone else, someone who will handle it better. Although I know this will never happen, since FF is their baby and they are more concerned with raking in the cash rather than preserving the glory of their greatest creation's name. However, I hope someone in the higher ranks one day realises it and selects integrity over profit, and either hires new and better writers (and ones from places other than just Japan), or turns the series over to another company. Personally, I think that the writers of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic would be more than able to make the series great again, or any other RPG-producing company with still-successful titles coming out to this day.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

jammi567
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I think those games were okay, but i agree. Stop whilst you're at a high, Square Enix, before it's too late.

ljkkjlcm9
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I think, they're more worried about putting out games, because people keep complaining and asking for a new one, instead of taking their time with it. People kept complaining about Nintendo for delaying Twilight Princess, but in the end it was worth it because it made the game that much better. If Square would just take their time, I'm sure they could create more great FF games.

THE JACKEL

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Not really, many people didn't like FFIX, many people did, did say that SE should stop then? No, and their next game was the ever-loved FFX. Going farther back, FFIII and FFV didn't even make it to America, did people say the should stop then? No, and their next game was proclaimed their best ever. Now for the first time in a long time, a new FF came out, some people love it, some people don't and many of the people who don't love it aren't used to having a new FF. So their reaction is they've lost their touch.

Slothy
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I think, they're more worried about putting out games, because people keep complaining and asking for a new one, instead of taking their time with it. People kept complaining about Nintendo for delaying Twilight Princess, but in the end it was worth it because it made the game that much better. If Square would just take their time, I'm sure they could create more great FF games.

THE JACKAL

Do you have any idea how long FFXII was in development? Taking their time isn't a problem.

For that matter, I disagree. I liked the PS2 FF games. Even X-2 had it's redeeming qualities (I don't feel the overall story was that bad though most of the side stuff blew, and the gameplay was great). I don't feel there is a problem with the series. It's simply been in a constant state of evolution since the beginning of the series. I also don't think I'd want to see them hand it off to anyone else, because frankly, there aren't many companies out there that have the talent to put out a decent story, on par with even Square's PS2 offerings as far as I'm concerned. If you didn't care for the PS2 games as much, then obviously you'd disagree with me, but I still find that the PS2 FF's are generally some of, if not the best RPG's I've played since the PSX generation.

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree with Darth Anarcus on this one, though I don't think selling the franchise would be the best idea. Rather, I would want them to take a break from making FF's and move onto other projects. Build talent elsewhere in the company, have some freedom creating other things that are not held down by what's actually expected.

I think Squenix needs to take a break and prove they are not a one trick pony. My favorite Squenix RPG's during the PS1 era were not Final Fantasies (except for Tactics:love: )

Yuriev's ghost
02-14-2007, 02:06 AM
If FF games continue to suck I'll stop buying them; it's not like they were ever the pinnacle of gaming anyway. They can make them until the rapture for all I care.

silentenigma
02-14-2007, 02:27 AM
FF-Amano-Sakaguchi=Not as good.