PDA

View Full Version : Storyline guide?

No.78
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
The cutscenes are so far apart and usually unrelated storylines, I usually forget what's going on or what anybody's talking about... It would be nice to have a little FFXI storyline guide somewhere on the net?

Does anyone know of one? Want one? Like the story? Dislike the story? Understand it perfectly and can tell me exactly what's going on? Doesn't get it? Etc?

Discuss plax

Rostum
02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.shadow-ffxi.com/HistoryofVanadiel/

Del Murder
02-13-2007, 03:04 AM
The stories are probably a lot better if you get a good flow into them. All the missions I've done come too far apart so it has less appeal. I enjoy them nonetheless. Some of the random quest stories are also interesting.

Stunt
02-13-2007, 04:13 AM
Dont' they have like annual issues or something that Square-Enix puts out as a game guide in stores?

Yeargdribble
02-13-2007, 10:37 AM
I really wish they would add a feature for you to review all of the story in a single sitting at a single place. It's just impossible to run every where for all of the cutscenes again. This is especially true with CoP.

The link above is okay, but it's seriously lacking in some areas. I personally think the way that it tells the events of CoP is very disjointed as it tries to tell it from a 3rd person PoV and you are clearly a focal point in CoP missions which it excludes. For instance, there is a point where you are given the amulet and happen to have it at a later date. However, considering you, as the protagonist, are simply omitted from the story on that site, there's no real explanation for how it ends up disappearing and reappearing.

While it may be a less appealing read, you will find a far better understanding of what's going on by reading the game script over at www.gamefaqs.com

It's really sad that FFXI has such an amazing and deep story but cannot be experienced in such a way that anyone can truly grasp all of it without considerable effort.

Rostum
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
While that may be true, it's still a decent website to read, if you're playing through the story. I don't think the website I provided was created as an alternative to going through the missions in-game, but rather a chance to recap what's going on.

Yeargdribble
02-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I personally found it confusing even in recap while doing CoP. The nation missions are laid out much more clearly in my opinion. It just seemed to occasionally gloss over thing that I felt were important story points and sometimes leave you wondering how and when something happened.

Once upon a time I'd started a compilation of videos of each CS at each Goblin Footprint through series of quests, but I gave it up after getting about half way through Zilart. I ran into the problem of space. If you compressed the videos thoroughly you'd no longer be able to read the text, and uncompressed they were ghastly huge. Admittedly, I'm not that good with video editing which was another reason I abandoned the project.

I really wish someone else would do such a project. ToAU has a really nice storyline so far also. Kinda sad I probably won't see the end of it. Some people complain about huge chunks of CSs and not enough really hard battles in ToAU, but I really like that you get large amounts of story at a single time to let you grasp what's going on a lot better between battles. I'd definitely say it flows better.

Rostum
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, a video compilation would be a very good thing.

In my opinion, FFXI would have been a very good offline RPG and a great addition to the FF series in terms of storyline. It has one of the best in the series, but no one really knows much about it because it's dragged on so long due the gameplay.

chionos
02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
What you are all missing is that the CS's are not the end-all be-all of the story. In between CS's you're supposed to be exploring areas, doing quests, talking to npc's...you learn the story in many subtle ways. Most people see side-quests as ways to get things or make money, but the most important thing they do is fill in storyline gaps. A project that compiled the entire story would be an enormous undertaking as it would have to take into account missions, quests, and many subtle things that have to be inferred from the general context of the game through npc's, key items, nm's, etc. In much the same way as the FFXII story was told.

CoP was fantastic, and now that I'm back I'll be able to get into ToAU, which I hope is equally as enticing. FFXI's story in general is incredible and I agree with you Omecle that it would have been a good offline game, and is largely underappreciated and overlooked.

No.78
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the links, it is annoying how people can't experience this games storyline with ease... And it is good, ty again

Some bits don't make sense...

It says that beastmen were the races created by Promathia, but it also says beastmen were monsters mutated by the radiation which turned the Kuluu into tonberries.

Aldos sister was killed in the intro movie, yet he has another sister called Verena? His parents are dead right? So... Where the hell did she come from? XD

eternalshiva
02-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Was she really? ;o Isn't the chick in Selbina the older sister? She thinks her brother is dead but it's really Aldo? I forget now, been a few years since I saw the CS where she explains it >_>

No.78
02-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Holy crap there's another sister? lolol

Citizen Bleys
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
REUNION...

No.78
03-04-2007, 11:51 AM
REUNION...

{ Um... }