PDA

View Full Version : Best Housing Complex, Ever.

Madonna
02-14-2007, 06:43 AM
[Link] (http://sushilog.blog7.fc2.com/blog-entry-43.html)
Most people, in choosing a new home, look for comfort: a serene atmosphere, smooth walls and floors, a logical layout. Nonsense, says Shusaku Arakawa, a Japanese artist based in New York. He and his creative partner, poet Madeline Gins, recently unveiled a small apartment complex in the Tokyo suburb of Mitaka that is anything but comfortable and calming. "People, particularly old people, shouldn't relax and sit back to help them decline," he insists. "They should be in an environment that stimulates their senses and invigorates their lives."

With that in mind, Arakawa and Gins designed a building of nine apartments known as Reversible Destiny Lofts. Painted in eye-catching blue, pink, red, yellow and other bright colors, the building resembles the indoor playgrounds that attract toddlers at fast-food restaurants. Inside, each apartment features a dining room with a grainy, surfaced floor that slopes erratically, a sunken kitchen and a study with a concave floor. Electric switches are located in unexpected places on the walls so you have to feel around for the right one. A glass door to the veranda is so small you have to bend to crawl out. You constantly lose balance and gather yourself up, grab onto a column and occasionally trip and fall.I think I fell in love as soon as I heard that the place was called Reversible Destiny Lofts.

The discussion can go two of two ways: discuss your thoughts on the Reversible Destiny Lofts and the idea behind them, or tell us of your dream home when you have grown old and can no longer enjoy life.

Jowy
02-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Oh god, I would never want to stumble in drunk one night. That's just asking for an injury or three.

Araciel
02-14-2007, 07:09 AM
that would indeed not be a cool place for me to live...i want to have an indoor pool, with a glass ceiling and lights in the bottom of the pool. also, a tv in every room, all motion activated and tune to the same channel....other than that i dunno...plain walls, not a lot of furniture everywhere...

Rye
02-14-2007, 11:21 AM
That's so cool, but I'm clumsy enough even in a still flat even house. :p

Bunny
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I'll take a pink house.

oddler
02-14-2007, 03:42 PM
You constantly lose balance and gather yourself up, grab onto a column and occasionally trip and fall.

Perfect for geriatrics. :rolleyes2

Fatal Impurity
02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I think the "reversible destiny" concept is just an excuse for quick easy shoddy design...

Jojee
02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Omgosh, the picture XD It's like a big lego piece. I want it.

abrojtm
02-14-2007, 07:44 PM
http://blog7.fc2.com/s/sushilog/file/20051228111822.jpg

This seriously looks straight from Earthbound.

Perfect place for old people, it will help them to die more quickly.

Momiji
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
http://blog7.fc2.com/s/sushilog/file/20051228111822.jpg

This seriously looks straight from Earthbound.

Perfect place for old people, it will help them to die more quickly.

Forget that for old people, I want to live there! :D

Shiny
02-14-2007, 09:20 PM
It's cool to look at, but probably horrible to live in.

Dr Aum
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Because someone has to say it:

"Only in Japan."

escobert
02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
http://www.hvt.org/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/i9/61363-260x400.jpg
Nothing beats my housing complex :rolleyes2
Vermont State Prison / Olde Windsor Village Apts., 65 State Street, 1808, Federal style, 1830, 1882, and 1928 additions. The cornerstone of the Vermont State Prison was laid in 1808 to the sound of a marching band and cheering crowd. Windsor's townspeople seemed to embrace the new prison with pride and welcomed the jobs and commercial boost that accompanied its presence.

Stuart J. Park, a Boston architect, designed the original 35-cell building with walls 3 feet thick and 14 feet high. Construction required 5,000 tons of stone, which was quarried from Mount Ascutney. The building was expanded in 1830, 1882, and 1928, eventually containing 352 cells.

On August 7, 1975, following several years of controversy, the prison was finally deemed insufficient for contemporary rehabilitation. It had been the oldest state prison in continuous operation in the United States. Fortunately, the impressive structure was spared the wrecking ball and Peabody Construction teamed with Boston architects Anderson Notter-Finegold to successfully rehabilitate the prison into 75 apartments, subsidized by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(Source 49)

rubah
02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
but I like relaxing and being comfortable at home:(

Madonna
02-15-2007, 06:08 AM
The idea is that a more stimulating environment will keep a person alive longer than a very cozy one, as one would be forced to exert more care and alertness, rather than letting one slide into oblivion in a relaxing manner.

I think that it is very charming, but flawed. Eventually, one could not help but to learn all the in's and out's of their own home. All of the surprises would fade in time as one acclimated. I guess one can only hold off destiny for so long, neh?

I have no definitive vision for my dream home other than it will contain secret passages and rooms. Yes, I am eight years old.

ljkkjlcm9
02-15-2007, 06:14 AM
I have no definitive vision for my dream home other than it will contain secret passages and rooms. Yes, I am eight years old.

Don't forget paintings with holes for eyes you can look through. I also want a river/pond with fish running through my house, and a waterfall that starts it.

Also, swings in the middle of the house

THE JACKEL

escobert
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
and a workshop built into a hill to make golems.

nik0tine
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I really, really want to move into that complex.

Shlup
02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
That's smurfing awesome.

Though I see nothing wrong with relaxing and accepting impending death.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I want to live there.

Magic Guy
02-17-2007, 02:09 AM
That house is not made for a stoner. I'd hit my head in coming off the porch, then spend an hour trying to turn on the light.

Nominus Experse
02-17-2007, 02:30 AM
This is as stupid idea.

If you have to pay twice as much for an apartment that is designed with the sole purpose of getting you out of it so as to "stimulate" and make you more active... If you seriously need to do that, than there are far greater issues that you need to face.

Additionally, its vibe and strange lure would soon fade. Someone living in these lopsided, aggravating apartments would eventually just become accustomed to the oddities and surprises. And then they would most likely just become frustrated.

And they look like :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty LEGO bricks.

This is not a phenomenal idea - it's a flawed and ultimately stupid one.

The underlying principal is a good one, that much is truth, but it wasn't executed well.

But this is only my opinion. Let people buy and clamor over what they want.

Mo-Nercy
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Definitely as a holiday house. It's quirky and fun. But to live in a place like that for an extended period of time would only be annoying. Though I suppose, given enough time, you'd get used to it, but by then the whole philosophy of the complex will be exhausted since the idea is for you to not get used to it.