PDA

View Full Version : What are your general feelings of this game?

Sidderz
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Okay. I live in the UK and so I'm still waiting 9 days now until this game is out with great enthusiasm. So please no spoilers in this thread please. No spoilers! Please.

I was just wondering what people's general feelings on the game was? Did you like it or not and just sorta why without ruining anything. :)

Xurts
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm still in the process of playing it and I love it. The new battle system is awesome and incredibly smooth. Gambits let you fight battles without even touching your controller. The License Board is pretty cool too since you can build your characters however you want. Wonderful game, IMO.

McLovin'
02-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Great graphics and lots to explore. You will have fun...until the end.

Renmiri
02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Like FFX-2. You will have more fun if you go expecting less.

I bought into the hype and hated XII initially, eventually finding it a good game when I got over the shattered expectations.

robfinalfantasy
02-14-2007, 11:38 PM
The cinemas are great. The weapon/magic selection is awesome and I find battles to be quite addictive. The story is ok, but other than that I would rate everything great.

rubah
02-15-2007, 12:11 AM
I am still loving it. It's really long.

You know how in final fantasy games you do all your sidequests at the end? You do them throughout in this game.

Aurons_Desciple
02-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Okay. I live in the UK and so I'm still waiting 9 days now until this game is out with great enthusiasm. So please no spoilers in this thread please. No spoilers! Please.

I was just wondering what people's general feelings on the game was? Did you like it or not and just sorta why without ruining anything. :)

Sucks to be you. New Zealand and Australia get it on the 22nd :D Next Thursday, 7 days away :cool:

Crossblades
02-15-2007, 02:11 AM
I love it. It definlitely met my expectations. It's long and fun:)

Cruise Control
02-15-2007, 04:02 AM
Vaan and Penelo both die tragicallyl during the ending. T_T

Please see this thread:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=83735

I will defer this post to Kishi or another mod that has played this game to see if this is true. ~ Leeza

ValiantKnight
02-15-2007, 05:14 AM
Story seemed a little simple/short, albeit what story there was turned out to be good.

Some new concepts in the game with the battle system.
Still a good game though, if not as deep as others. Gameplay while different was enjoyable for me.. until a few optional bosses.

Tavrobel
02-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Like FFX-2. You will have more fun if you go expecting less.

How one can go into a game expecting very little, and getting even less in return. How joyful.

Wow, CC, I thought better of you, spoiling the ending for these people. Shame on you.

Gabranth
02-15-2007, 05:34 AM
i was highly disappointed by the storyline. it wasn't as compelling as it was hyped up to be. but the gameplay makes up for it; i think i'm around 115 hours :)

RiseToFall
02-15-2007, 05:47 AM
- Great gameplay.
- Crappy story.

Simple as that.

Disco Potato
02-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Gambit system is great, license board is alright, story and characters are decent and have their moments. Pacing of the story, unfortunately, is terrible.

Pathfinder
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
lol im 120+hours into the game n havent finished quite a few of the sidequests

Setzer Gabianni
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
- Great Gameplay (From what I know so far) - No longer will you have to endure random battles - you will meet your monsters face to face, which will be a lot more fun ^^ - also, the ability to change your main character will be awesome. I can't stand Ashe, so I don't have to user her If I don't need to xD
- Great Characters - NPC's and Main Cast also
- GREATstoryline - yes, I liked it (Even though I haven't played the game, I know what the storyline is, and I enjoyed it - I can't for more exposure when I play it! ^^)
- Great Graphics - oh boy, do the Espers look sweet!
- Hunts - I'm taking it these are something along the lines of the ones in TA? If so, and you are also a fan of something similar, me and you will enjoy them both!

This just seems more fun then some of the previous FF's, probably because this has a bunch of older characters (*likesoldercharacters*), a great cast of talented VA's, the links it has to TA, and the fresh new changes given to the game.

I spoiled myself early I know, but I needed to prepare myself for the last and one of the best FF titles to grace our PS2 :D - well, the best title to come out on the Playstation so far xD

Dreddz
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I really enjoyed it, I was surprised that the battle system turned out to be so good. Best battle system for any FF to date. I was disappointed with a few things however, the music, in short, sucked and the story wasnt half as great as past entries. Looking past that, its still a great game. If they had put more work into the story and music, then I would probably say it was the best FF, but they didnt. So im not.

Setzer Gabianni
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Just a question: Is it because the music "sounded" bad to you as in, wasn't your cup of tea, or is it that you didn't like it, but it fitted the game well?

eternalshiva
02-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I love this game ;o the political intrigue in the story is really impressive, I'm a huge FFXI player so the battle system is very familiar in that sense and very addictive >_> Chained EXP? Yes, please! Rapega of everything in sight? Oh yes yes! Traps that sucks all your mp, confuses you and berserks you is always amusing. There's alot to the story and so many side quests, Notorious monster hunts to keep you entertained, I play this when I get bored of playing FFXI >_> Nothing like taking down Fafnir and going on LS saying "lawl I soloed Faffy" Just cause it's a funny thing to say >_>.

I'm 200 hours in and according to the guides I've read, I'm only about half way through the story. This, next to the amusing girly FFX-2 has become my fave FF title in the series.

Bunny
02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
200 hours and only halfway through the game? Wow. I'm at the very end and I have just about everyone up to that point completedly. Haven't even passed the 100 hour mark.

The game is decent.

Dreddz
02-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Just a question: Is it because the music "sounded" bad to you as in, wasn't your cup of tea, or is it that you didn't like it, but it fitted the game well?

The music fitted the game well, it just wasnt great by any means. I guess my expectations were a little too high.

Renmiri
02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
How one can go into a game expecting very little, and getting even less in return. How joyful.
Awww c'mon, the game IS a bit fun once you get past the dissapointment...

If they had put more work into the story and music, then I would probably say it was the best FF, but they didnt...
Aye, that is the killer for me. So much wasted potential! It kept on gnawing my enjoyment of the game, thinking how much better it could have been... :(

Tavrobel
02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
FFX-2? No, it isn't. FFXII, there is hope, once I get past the utter boredom.

Sidderz
02-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Woah alot of mixed reaction here, not exactly what I expected. It seems that some of you expected alot and got alot, whereas some expected alot and were majorly dissapointed.

This is a REALLY strange question; but all the people who REALLY liked it.. were you big fans of FF9? Because I read that Ivalice is quite similar to Final Fantasy 9 with the feel, the technology and all sorts and so hasn't appealed as much to people who like more moderny feels such as VII & VIII. Again - not my opinion just what I've heard here and there. Is this true do people think?

Setzer Gabianni
02-17-2007, 01:21 PM
There's always mixed opinions with every game tho ._.

It isn't quite like IX, I think it has the right balance of modernyness lol and a fantasy feel, just not like IX.

Renmiri
02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
What I did notice is that X fans like myself tend to hate FFXII, while people who disliked X tend to be more tolerant of XII.

IMHO the games are just the opposite: X has emphasis on story, characters and emotions while gameplay is a bit stale (it's old). XII has great gameplay but is rather dry on emotions and story.

I venture to say that if X was your favorite among the FF games you won't like XII at first.

Ashley Schovitz
02-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Gambit system is great, license board is alright, story and characters are decent and have their moments. Pacing of the story, unfortunately, is terrible.

I agree it's all about the combat in this game and I know it because in DVD interview all they talk about their greatest acheivement is how much they're glad that they were able to make the ADB system work well, not any mention to theystoryline only when the interviewer asked one time.

MecaKane
02-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I personally really like the story, it's a lot more interesting and mature than FFX's. Balthier's the fucking man, and Ashe, Bash and Fran are pretty good too. The story scenes are directed really well, and the battle system is of course totally deadly.

Setzer Gabianni
02-17-2007, 08:15 PM
What I did notice is that X fans like myself tend to hate FFXII, while people who disliked X tend to be more tolerant of XII.

IMHO the games are just the opposite: X has emphasis on story, characters and emotions while gameplay is a bit stale (it's old). XII has great gameplay but is rather dry on emotions and story.

I venture to say that if X was your favorite among the FF games you won't like XII at first.

You can't just go around saying that though. If that's what you've seen in people so far, fair enough, but I know it does not count for everybody :tongue:

EDIT: As shown by this lovely person above me <3

Renmiri
02-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Told ya! No FFX fan would call the X story "immature".

He who loves FFX will not like XII at first. And XII fans get so ticked off that they badmouth X in retaliation :p

Setzer Gabianni
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
..That's because a fan generally wouldn't? Depends on what bit of game they prefer the most.

No lol. You just keep assuming that X fans are always going to think like you. Not going to happen biatch. n_n

*loves you lots rofl*

Aqua Heart
02-18-2007, 02:38 AM

He who loves FFX will not like XII at first. And XII fans get so ticked off that they badmouth X in retaliation :p

Ahem! to that :p

Wolf Kanno
02-18-2007, 03:16 AM
I enjoyed this game thoroughly. The combat is wonderful as long as you experiment. The Espers are really impressive looking and made me happy. I love the cast (I honestly don't hate anyone, hasn't happened for me since FFVI) I like the storyline, it's not the best this team has done but compared to the Final Fantasy series as a whole, I feel it's one of the better stories. It's theme is one that is very personal for me so I really got into it. Also, VAAN IS NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER! The game does not have an official lead like FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX. So don't play the game expecting Vaan to take charge. You'll like him better as a character when you try not pigeon-hole him into the "main hero" status.

Honestly though, play this game for it's world. Ivalice is huge and ridiculously detailed. EXPLORE!!! The world is incredible and brings back the old school charm of actually exploring it rather than being forced to go to the next story area. Hell, you get lost just trying to get to the next story part. The game has tons of side quests and a good portion of the world is optional. So explore and put the most into it.;)

tidus_rox
02-18-2007, 03:45 AM

I am a X fan and I love XII.... I just beat it today, however I dont really undertsand what storyline there is...

Setzer Gabianni
02-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Pay attention to it. Same thing I said with Vayne. There's a lot you can find out, even with simple cutscenes before you play it.

Shotgunnova
02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
FFXII sentiments, huh?

I love political struggle (see: FFT), but I think the overal storytelling perspective is what puts me off. Rather than a character-oriented view like past games, FFXII adopts a world-perspective which focuses more on the story than the characters (and to what great effect, I can't say). That only furthers the idea of watching a movie/cinematics instead of using the characters as a 'vessel' to live through. Heck, I could care less if Ashe won the throne or a huge wild saurian bit her head off -- the story, while having enough steam to continue without being overtly boring, ends up being a shallow water that runs...shallow. That's how I feel anyway; there ain't enough to show the characters' in a frame I care about. I admire the game's great historical-type script, but half of it's nonsense if it isn't focusing intently on the characters themselves.

It took me 200+ hours to realize I don't like the game, but I guess one could rack that up to its "charm."

Desert Merchant
02-22-2007, 01:51 AM
I think the games story is heavily based on events rather than characters. This is quite the change from most Final Fantasies and I think that is why most people are dissapointed with the games story. Personally I think the story is kind of hard to follow... granted there is alot more maturity there is alot more you have to do in between cut scenes and when you don't get to play it much its hard to remember what was going on. Also I suppose this is kind of a spoiler so beware SPOILER ALERT

I think the lack of a love story kind of makes the newer FF fans not like it as much.

Arc_Master_14
02-22-2007, 04:02 AM
i for one that the game was one of the best in the entire series (except three) thats different though and the X story isnt immature its in the middle

Setzer Gabianni
02-22-2007, 06:50 AM
I think the games story is heavily based on events rather than characters. This is quite the change from most Final Fantasies and I think that is why most people are dissapointed with the games story. Personally I think the story is kind of hard to follow... granted there is alot more maturity there is alot more you have to do in between cut scenes and when you don't get to play it much its hard to remember what was going on. Also I suppose this is kind of a spoiler so beware SPOILER ALERT

I think the lack of a love story kind of makes the newer FF fans not like it as much.

Sometimes there are more important things in a story rather then a definitive love plot.

Tbh..the only games I saw that in where IV and VIII. X too.
Character development is not rubbish, and if people argue about lack of character interaction, I can give my thoughts on what I know so far.

Wolf Kanno
02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
The character interaction is very suttle. Less talking more body language. Watch the cutscenes carefully and try to look into the background as well. It's beautifully done. ;)

Renmiri
02-23-2007, 01:16 AM
The character interaction is very suttle. Less talking more body language. Watch the cutscenes carefully and try to look into the background as well. It's beautifully done. ;)

Score 100 for imagination :p

Score -2 for objectivity... body language ?!? On 3D dummies ?

Wolf Kanno
02-23-2007, 03:40 AM

Score 100 for imagination :p

Score -2 for objectivity... body language ?!? On 3D dummies ?

Technology has come a long way since FFX dear:p

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
this game is hard to understand and with some scenes i watched them a few times but i think with X it was too easy to understand their was the horrible monster called sin who killed everyone so you had to kill him ha ha