PDA

View Full Version : Pickiness With Spelling and Grammar

Evastio
02-16-2007, 03:51 AM
How come people here on EoFF are so picky with spelling and grammar nowadays?

rubah
02-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Just tryin' to raise the bar, you know.

Fonzie
02-16-2007, 03:53 AM
Sadly listening to people cry about their problems is a little harder when they can't convey a sentence without using " I R TEH SAD T_T".

Agrias
02-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Sadly listening to people cry about their problems is a little harder when they can't convey a sentence without using " I R TEH SAD T_T".

LOL! he's got quite a point there! that made me AND my dad lawl!

Freya
02-16-2007, 04:09 AM
People at EoFF think that it is the easiest thing to be smart on the internet, well at least I do. If you can't do that then you fail at life.

Yamaneko
02-16-2007, 04:17 AM
People that are overly sensitive to that sort of thing are pretty sad themselves.

Agrias
02-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Well just be happy you dont see any of us running around shouting "THATS A RUN ON SENTENCE YOU OAF!"

oddler
02-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Well just be happy you dont see any of us running around shouting "THATS A RUN ON SENTENCE YOU OAF!"

Yeah. :tonberry: Keep in mind that this guy will come to you in your sleep if you actually make one, though.

This is the first forum of which I've ever been a part and, looking at other fora's members' habits, I'm thankful. :p

XxSephirothxX
02-16-2007, 05:13 AM
The ability to type well is indicative of intelligence, or, at the very least, effort. I've never cared about perfection, but misspellings and loads of grammatical errors are annoying.

I don't think there's ever been a time when people have not been picky about spelling and grammar. We're just in the minority. :p

Khaotic
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
"r" "u" etc etc should only be used in online gaming, not a forum where you have unlimited time and access to www.dictionary.com, failure to comply results in what Azar said.

Owen Macwere
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
This thread makes me lol. You just reminded me of the old days when I used to use 'r', 'u' and stuff like these. Well, people here have got to make space for non-english people here. But, well, this poking do help in english improvement. At least now I can write my stories with proper english. :p

vorpal blade
02-16-2007, 10:16 AM

You forgot two apostrophes, you twit!:mad2:
You need make more better englishtalkings!

Rye
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Try making typos when the EGG was around. :p

Anaisa
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I understand people thinking posts in text talk is annoying, that bugs me too. But I think as long as a post isn't uncomfortable to read it doesn't matter. Quite a few people at eoff are rather full of themselves, an like to think their intellectuals. Picking on peoples grammar is just another one of their boring attempts to showcase what they consider to be intellect.

fire_of_avalon
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree with Anaisa. As long as I can understand you, we're cool. But that's just me, personally. In real life, I'm currently learning to be a hardass grammarian.

Iceglow
02-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty good for people to post however they like if it's totally unintelligible I'll tell them though. If the person should know better (I.E. they're in their mid 20s to 30s) I tend to get a bit annoyed with them and think "geez and we wonder where all these 13 year olds get it from?"

I prefer being as correct as possible since on a game I play I help the admin team by correcting grammatical errors as I find them.

Misfit
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
People that are overly sensitive to that sort of thing are pretty sad themselves.
Bunny... :kaoangry:

Tavrobel
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Try making typos when the EGG was around. :p

Yeah, all of three members.

Grammar shouldn't be a hard thing to master, and it's quite easy to note who is using leetspeak/fillful ignorance of the vernacular, versus someone who didn't have English as a first/fluent language. There's no need to bitch about it, but it does get annoying when you can't understand, but if you really are secure in your language mastery, that should not stop you from being able to read it.

Leetspeak should only be used in online gaming and maybe instant messaging, where focusing on the game and saving time is of utmost importance; FPSes and RTSes as examples.

Gullick
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree with Yamanenko too. Writing is a form of communication, aslong as you can understand that communication then whats the big deal? It's not like anyone doesn't know that "u" = you, "y" = why, "r" = are etc. I see some folks critiscise others when they use nothing more complicated than the three examples i just gave...i think its kinda just something they do to make themselves feel superior by making someone else feel inferior...just because they're not actually superior in anyway.

-Gull-

Mirage
02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Just tryin' to raise the bar, you know.
*trying

Anyway, what Rubah said :p.

I'm not bothered when people mis-spell difficult words or, when people accidentally taps an extra key on their keyboards. Such things are easy to identify, and acceptable because they are not intensional, in my opinion.

However, typos from blatant laziness, such as "lol i tink u shud get sumthin 2 drink", annoy me

For the record, I think "I'm a foreigner" is a poor excuse for having poor spelling :p. Not knowing certain unusual words, sure, but the spelling of common English words, no.

Owen Macwere
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM

He's impossible!.:nonono:

Momiji
02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
I always HAVE been picky when it came to spelling. Not as much with grammar, but spelling is just...I don't know, important to me, I guess. <3

Bunny
02-16-2007, 04:29 PM

He's impossible!.:nonono:

EXCLAIMATION POINT PERIOD

This is why. I find this funny.

oddler
02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I agree with Yamanenko too. Writing is a form of communication, aslong as you can understand that communication then whats the big deal? It's not like anyone doesn't know that "u" = you, "y" = why, "r" = are etc. I see some folks critiscise others when they use nothing more complicated than the three examples i just gave...i think its kinda just something they do to make themselves feel superior by making someone else feel inferior...just because they're not actually superior in anyway.

-Gull-

I'm going to agree with you to a certain extent. When it comes to communication during a game, it's definitely faster to do it that way. I, personally, just think it's difficult to read those kinds of messages. Furthermore, it would take me longer to type "Where r u goin 2day?" than it would "Where are you going today?" :(

Also, I would like to point out that calling people on mistakes doesn't make me feel superior. Maybe they want to be corrected. I would love to have someone tell me when I make a spelling/grammatical error. It'd be no big deal. I'd say "Cool," then go and fix it. I'd probably be less likely to do it again, too. Most people learn through mistakes and there's nothing wrong with that in my book. I'm just here to help. :p

I agree with every word of Azar's post, too.

Christmas
02-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I dun agree with anyone.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Full what, sorry?

Owen Macwere
02-16-2007, 05:29 PM

Full what, sorry?

Full stop, that is. :eep:

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Ah full stop! Of course! I get confused by all Bunny's mistakes. :bigsmile:

Bunny
02-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Mistake indicates that I did something wrong. But I did not, as a period and a full stop are different names for exactly the same thing.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Your existence is the mistake, my love. :love:

Bunny
02-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I was made for you and you alone.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh. Alright. I see no mistake there.

Owen Macwere
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Oh. Alright. I see no mistake there.

Mistake. It is a comma not a full stop there.:cool:

Oh, alright. *

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Actually, the way I was saying it would be written "Oh!....alright." :bigsmile:

escobert
02-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I misspell lot's of things. But oh well. I've never been the greatest speller. I'll get over it somehow.