PDA

View Full Version : So can someone explain why Ar tonelico

Yuriev's ghost
02-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Has such awful graphics for a PS2 game? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGj02yCiXsk&mode=related&search=) (wait till about 1:40 for the actual gameplay footage)

Ok, awful is a strong word. More like "hilariously outdated". Wikipedia has failed me, offering no information on its development. Is it a PSX port or what, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to how a game released in 2006 can possibly look like that.

Note that I am not just trying to take a dig at the game. I am actually genuinely interested in why it looks so ancient. So interested in fact, that I will probably buy this game based purely on how confusingly 5th gen it looks.

Discuss.

EDIT: For those who aren't convinced by the trailer that this game almost looks like it was made for the PSX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxiVlaVX0d0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVfMo-oJjss

MecaKane
02-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Uh, those graphics are really good. They're not polygons, but they're a lot more detailed than anything I've seen on PSX. Grow up.

Jowy
02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
It's an NIS game so the gameplay will make obviously make up for the less than stellar graphics.

black orb
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
>>> Most of these kind games are released for handheld consoles now, Im surprised they released it for the PS2..

Yuriev's ghost
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Uh, those graphics are really good. They're not polygons, but they're a lot more detailed than anything I've seen on PSX. Grow up.
Valkyrie Profile approaches those graphics, even if it isn't quite up to the standard (ie some character sprites suck ass).

I'm not quite sure what makes you consider those graphics 'really good'. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTUR8GKA94) is what I consider 'really good' (or at least PS2 standard) 2D graphics.

black orb
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Valkyrie Profile approaches those graphics, even if it isn't quite up to the standard (ie some character sprites suck ass).

I'm not quite sure what makes you consider those graphics 'really good'. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTUR8GKA94) is what I consider 'really good' (or at least PS2 standard) 2D graphics.
>>> And VP has better battle system..
Man, I still dont get why Tales of Rebirth wasnt released here.. Its such a wonderful game. :cry:

Yuriev's ghost
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Namco hates you.

Mirage
02-16-2007, 03:35 PM
They're not pushing the PS2 to its limits, that's for sure, but no way a PS1 could do that.

A better explanation than yours would be that not everyone thinks awesome graphics is what makes a game. I think the graphics are cute and charming, myself, as I do with most NIS games <3.

>>> Most of these kind games are released for handheld consoles now, Im surprised they released it for the PS2..
Easy. Because the PS2 has the biggest user base as of today, meaning there are more potential customers than if they released it for any other system. Another reason would be that their programmers probably have a pretty good grip on PS2 programming by now.

Shoeberto
02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I like those graphics.

Call me a jaded old-timer, but I just don't see the appeal in multi-million-dollar production values in RPGs to give all of this voice acting and hours on hours of cinematics. FMVs are nice, but it seems less like an engrossing game experience and more like a movie when it's all VA'd with high octane explosions and rotating skull graphics.

Iceglow
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
I viewed that movie, Graphically the game is done from inked in 2d images it's a style I think is awesome totally old school japanese rpg. I think it looks good heck I might even go buy that game now :D thanks. As for it sucking or the ps1 doing that not even close. Also another explanation from that video it looks like there is a huge amount of animated FMV done in traditional Anime style that would sure as hell eat the space up on a CD/DVD (if the disc is blue with the ps2 it's a CD if the disc is silver, DVD)

black orb
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Namco hates you.
>>> Thats true..

and what happened with Sony and their so called anti-2D policy?

edczxcvbnm
02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Namco hates you.
>>> Thats true..

PS2 is dead now so they threw all policy out the window. Now it is time to lock down the PS31!!11!!~

black orb
02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
>>> Thats good news, I guess... Sony is stupid.

Mirage
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Namco hates you.
>>> Thats true..

What anti-2D policy? There has been 2D games for PS2 for a long time.

Shoeberto
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Namco hates you.
>>> Thats true..

What anti-2D policy? There has been 2D games for PS2 for a long time.
It's really not a specific anti-2D policy, but Sony is and has always been very pushy about making sure the developers of games for their console utilize the hardware power they're given.

JKTrix
02-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Let's set the record straight. When people say that this is an NIS game, they assume that NIS made it. This is not the case.

Ar Tonelico was made by Gust, who also made the Atelier Iris games. It is published by NIS.

Now the reason I point this out is because Ar Tonelico and Atelier Iris are not quite as good as Disgaea and Phantom Brave (made by NIS). Just so there is that distinction. /NISfanboyrant

It appears that NIS is taking over some of Atlus' traditional roles of bringing over these kinds of games to the US. NIS games were originally published through Atlus until NIS was big enough to make their own American office.

But yeah, Gust/NIS is not Namco. They probably don't have (or don't want to use) the resources to produce high resolution artwork in their games, so they do seem to come out blurry when compared to 2D games of a higher budget.

Yuriev's ghost
02-17-2007, 12:44 AM
But yeah, Gust/NIS is not Namco. They probably don't have (or don't want to use) the resources to produce high resolution artwork in their games, so they do seem to come out blurry when compared to 2D games of a higher budget.

Ok, so that answers my question I guess.

So yeah, discuss Ar tonelico or something.