PDA

View Full Version : A potentially hard question, one to which many may not know the answer.

Darth Anarcus
02-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Sony has recently addressed many problems the PS3 was facing. According to this (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/24/6735) article, the issue regarding PS1 and PS2 games looking gow-aweful when played on PS3 has been corrected via a downloadable update. This is great news for me personally, as I originally intended to buy a PS3 but keep my PS2 around for this reason. However, now it seems that I'll be able to trade in my PS2 towards the purchase of a PS3 and save some money.

Now here's my question: when I started playing my PS1 games on PS2, Gameshark had a few issues, the most prominent being that PS1 Gameshark codes that started with the number 5 didn't work on PS2. (Fortunately, there was a website at the time where you could enter a "5" code, and it "splits" it into a few hundred lines of "8" codes that would achieve the same effect as the original "5" code. An example of this would be FF8's All Item code, which, as a "5" code, doesn't work on PS2. I obtained this long-assed "8" code--which had to be entered into four parts on my Gameshark--which achieved the same effect. Unfortunately, I no longer have that URL.:() So does anyone know if Gamesharks from previous generations have any problems working on the PS3?

Renmiri
02-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Gameshark ?!?! Tsk, tsk... Never used the thing. C'mon, you are older now, surely you don't need a gameshark anymore!

Besides, you can import the memory cards, so all you have saved comes with it, including the gameshark cheats. (You will need to buy a $20 USB/ Memory card adapter to do the import)

My PS2 games play wonderfully on my PS3 but I'm having a hard time with the wireless net of it. It works for 20 minutes then goes down. All I could do so far was system updates :(

Darth Anarcus
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, this thread isn't about the ethics of cheating, so save me your lectures, please. I use Gameshark not because the game is too hard, but because when I play through those older games now I do so to re-experience the story rather than the gameplay. I call it a "speed-playthrough."

So. Info on Gameshark's potential compatablity issues, anyone?

Renmiri
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I was joking, your game, yor rules.

But won't saved games have all the stuff you got with Gameshark ? Like levels, weapons, etc.. ?

If they do you are all set, just retrieve the saved file using that USB/ Mem card thingie.

Yuriev's ghost
02-17-2007, 12:46 AM
I would be more worried about the various glitches that are still present in many of the PSX games when being played on the PS3 then I would a gameshark not working.

Even if it isn't working though, there will inevitably be some sort of patch to fix it.

Darth Anarcus
02-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Hey, sorry about that, Renmiri. I tend to have a difficult time sensing sarcasm.:(

Maybe I will wait another year before getting a PS3 in order to give all of these patches time to be implemented. Either that or simply buy a PS3 but still keep my PS2. Hell, because of the Gameshark issue alone I wish I had kept my PSX as well.

Big D
02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
It's rather sad that game consoles have reached the stage of having bugs, glitches and other flaws that have to be fixed by downloading patches and updates. That used to be the domain of computers; the entire point of consoles, I thought, was their dead-simple user-friendliness: simply plug it in, insert the game, and it goes. Now, it's all about customisation, installation and technical knowhow.
A bit of a shame, really - some of the new consoles appear to have lost the advantages offered by the old consoles, but gained the disadvantages of the computers they're trying to imitate. Why bother owning a new console, if a PC can do everything and more, with the same ease?

NeoCracker
02-17-2007, 01:07 PM
It's rather sad that game consoles have reached the stage of having bugs, glitches and other flaws that have to be fixed by downloading patches and updates. That used to be the domain of computers; the entire point of consoles, I thought, was their dead-simple user-friendliness: simply plug it in, insert the game, and it goes. Now, it's all about customisation, installation and technical knowhow.
A bit of a shame, really - some of the new consoles appear to have lost the advantages offered by the old consoles, but gained the disadvantages of the computers they're trying to imitate. Why bother owning a new console, if a PC can do everything and more, with the same ease?

The amount of truth in this post makes me sad.

Renmiri
02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
All the PS2 games I played on my PS3 play great:
FFX
Radiata Stories
Inuyasha
FFXII

Renmiri
02-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Double posting for noble reasons:

I just loaded all my PS2 memory cards to my PS3 and one of them came with GAMESHARK stuff. It is confirmed, gameshark codes get saved to the PS2 card and later can be imported to the PS3.

Don't know if the gameshark save works though, I can't even remember why or for which game I had it saved....

Slothy
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM

Because a console (even the PS3) is a heck of a lot cheaper for the gaming capabilities it provides, as well as a lot easier to use. I mean, I would agree with you about updates and such, except that updating my PS3 is so easy any of my cats could do it. We're still talking about standardized hardware that generally won't change within the consoles lifetime. This means that even though there are problems, they don't even begin to approach the sort of trouble a PC could give since companies know what every user has, rather than trying to standardize for a million different configurations. And to be honest, given the increasing complexity of modern consoles, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there will be some issues at first.

Back on topic though, how does your Gameshark actually connect anyway? If it's through controller or memory card ports then, well, there are none so you'd be out of luck. If it connects through some other means, then the PS3 would have to have the correct ports to connect it, and even then, I haven't seen any info on people trying them, so whether it would even be recognized if you can connect it is another big question I don't have an answer to I'm afraid. If you really want to use it, you may be better off continuing to use your PS2 for now.