PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new. Here's some work - FFX, FFXII-ish

LauraD
02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Hello, everyone. I've been thinking of joining a FF-based forum for a while now, and here's where I've ended up. I'm working on some new pieces right now for my new site, but I wanted to toss some work at you in the mean time.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6083/beginingsbykenuim6.jpg

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/4739/o0gabranth0obykenudy8.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1857/o0muchneededbreak0obykeut1.jpg

I look forward to seeing everyone's art! :love:

Rocket Edge
02-16-2007, 10:24 PM
This is really interesting stuff.

Pic #1: The first one's use of colour is great, & i love the whole composition in general. The perspective is impressive too.

Pic #2: Some much needed fanart for the FF12 gallery. Good work, keep it up.

Nice to see a new alternate style contributing to the artist's forum. :up:

EDIT: I can only see the last two pic's.

Renmiri
02-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Aww those are nice. Who's the kid with young Auron ?

Slade
02-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Love the colouring. Watercolours right? Great work, and like Traffic pointed out, some much needed fanart for the XII gallery :)

LauraD
02-17-2007, 05:30 AM
:D

Slade: Nope! Auron and Balthier pieces, they're both digital. Gabranth I did with prisma marker. With painter and other technology these days, its hard to tell what media is used. I'm primarily a digital artist - I don't like getting messy with real media :P

Traffic: Thanks! I'm a really varied artist and produce a ton of different styles.

Renmiri: Thanks! Its baby Rikku. :)

Reeno the Alchemist
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
wowzers 0.0 the auron one would be really nice but the baby Rikku desturbs me greatly =.= i really like the judge one the coloring is amazing and i love balthier so ill automatically like that picture!man you need to teach me how to color 0.0 cause yours looks so cool!

black orb
02-17-2007, 07:49 PM
>>> I think you need to work more on human anatomy, the colors are nice..

I Don't Need A Name
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
those are really good. the 2nd ones head seems a bit stange (i havent played FFXII as it isnt out in England yet) it just seems out of place, and not with face-like proportions (i.e. the chin sticks out a bit and the eyes seem a little stretched from above the nose) other than that, they are good :up: i look forward to seeing future work

LauraD
02-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks! :)

My most hated part of human anatomy is the hand. I am not a fan of drawing hands. What displeases you about the anatomy?

On the second piece, judge gabranth is wearing a mask - but it also could be my messy style. I am not a photo realistic artist by any means. I think I'm too a.d.d. for that.

I'm the kind of artist who cares more about the meaning or feel of the piece than perfection. Though I do envy artists like Hoon and Jiji who are just freakin amaaazing, if the forearm is a little too long, I don't let it bother me. After years of taking life drawing, and even after I recieved my degree, I've discovered I'm not a perfectionist, but a lover of pose and form.

black orb
02-18-2007, 03:19 AM
My most hated part of human anatomy is the hand. I am not a fan of drawing hands. What displeases you about the anatomy?

>>> Some parts are out of proportion, like Auron`s hand (too big), or the FF12 guy`s head, its shape is a bit weird..

Cruise Control
02-18-2007, 04:39 AM
those are really good. the 2nd ones head seems a bit stange (i havent played FFXII as it isnt out in England yet) it just seems out of place, and not with face-like proportions (i.e. the chin sticks out a bit and the eyes seem a little stretched from above the nose) other than that, they are good i look forward to seeing future workThats called a helmet. Gabranth is your best piece. And the baby Rikku reminds me of some conversations that make me want to hurl. While the pieces seem lumpish, its consistent so perhaps a personal trademark?

I Don't Need A Name
02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
those are really good. the 2nd ones head seems a bit stange (i havent played FFXII as it isnt out in England yet) it just seems out of place, and not with face-like proportions (i.e. the chin sticks out a bit and the eyes seem a little stretched from above the nose) other than that, they are good i look forward to seeing future workThats called a helmet. Gabranth is your best piece. And the baby Rikku reminds me of some conversations that make me want to hurl. While the pieces seem lumpish, its consistent so perhaps a personal trademark?

:rolleyes2 i know its a helmet, i think it just looks a bit strange thats all

LauraD
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh yes, I get that. Gabranth's helm was a real quick sketch, and its not proportional by anymeans. I was too busy playing with the color and lightsource :)

Weirdly enough (I'll have to grab the reference image) On auron's hand, that is the direct proportion of this mexican guy who was holding a baby boy! I thought it was a bit large too, but I liked how he seemed to securely hold the child, so I went with it.

You can tell in my work if I'm looking at reference or not - the FFXII ones I didn't use a reference, where with the anatomy of the Auron, image, I did. I'll upload some more work later on tonight :) Thanks for looking!:love:

fire_of_avalon
02-20-2007, 05:24 AM
I don't normally gush like this, but the first picture is so cute. My only complaint is that baby Rikku seems a bit too fat in the belly.

The second is probably the best piece of these three. I like the detail work in the armor.

The third is a bit too soft for my taste, but that's just personal preference. I like the way you use facial expressions. Guy #2 even seems to have an expression, though he's wearing a helmet.

Also, Welcome to the forums! :)

LauraD
02-21-2007, 06:06 AM
eeee random

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2959/backsi2.jpg