PDA

View Full Version : gambit question...

silverjunky
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
ok i dont have the game yet but, i was thinking about how the gambit system worked and came across a lil thing which puzzled me so here it is...

okay so say you have your gambits done, probably along the lines of, your life gambut then healing, then status then attack then the self status ones (ie bubble and haste) okay?

so if you go into a long battle does the ai just work its way down the gambit list from top to bottom or is there more to it, cause i was thinking if before a long battle your gambits put onto your characters things like haste and bubble then you get into the fight, and start attacking and healing as your gambits require, and then youre haste wears off will the haste gambit be activated immeadeatly, or would you have to do it manually? because the haste gambit would be low on the priorities?

Xurts
02-17-2007, 05:14 PM
ok i dont have the game yet but, i was thinking about how the gambit system worked and came across a lil thing which puzzled me so here it is...

okay so say you have your gambits done, probably along the lines of, your life gambut then healing, then status then attack then the self status ones (ie bubble and haste) okay?

so if you go into a long battle does the ai just work its way down the gambit list from top to bottom or is there more to it, cause i was thinking if before a long battle your gambits put onto your characters things like haste and bubble then you get into the fight, and start attacking and healing as your gambits require, and then youre haste wears off will the haste gambit be activated immeadeatly, or would you have to do it manually? because the haste gambit would be low on the priorities?
Yeah, you would probably want to do it manually because your attack gambits will be used and they will take priority until the enemy dies.

Mirage
02-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Unless you put Haste in between healing and attacking, ofcourse.

chrisguapo69
02-18-2007, 03:26 PM
If you put Haste before attack and heal, then your character will immediately cast Haste once it wears off. Then when Haste is done, your character goes back to attack, then heal whichever gambit you've prioritized.

One tip, don't have your characters have the same gambit set up. If possible, have your gambit set up use up items first for status effects (ex. blind, silence, poison, sap, etc) before casting cures since casting takes up more time and MP.

I never have my attack enemy gambit as #1. It's usually #5 or even up to #8.

Hazzard
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
After hearing about this gambit system...
It really makes us lot in UK, look forward to buying da game!!!

Renmiri
02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Haste, protect, etc... never get double cast so fear not, if your character has protect on the protect gambit will be skipped.

The only ones that cause trouble are :
- Steal, Poach, Drain, Syphon

They keep on being activated even though there is nothing else to steal or no MP or the foe is immune. And then your character never attacks or does anything else...

When this happens manualy get in to the gambit list and turn that particular gambit off

rubah
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I usually keep steal paired with 'enemy hp > 70%' so that there's plenty of time to get past failed attempts on harder monsters, and the easier ones are down below 70% hp after one [usually successful] steal.

Renmiri
02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes, that's a good gambit except that you steal better stuff and get a higher success rate when the enemy is low on HP.

Yet I tried the opposite: Foe HP < 30% / Steal and it didn't work so well... As you said, the weak fiends fall with one hit, so they died before I could steal anything and the strong fiends get stronger when their HP gets critical :(

I leave steal on manual now

ValiantKnight
02-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Ally > Phoenix Down
Ally HP<50% > Curaja
Ally > Chronos Tear
Ally > Hastega
Ally > Bravery
Ally > Protectga
Enemy:Flying > Telekinesis
Enemy Lowest HP > Attack

Ok... draw weapons...

Let's go down the gambit list... #1
Does anyone need a phoenix down? if not goto #2
#2 Is anyone less than 50% life? If not goto #3
#3 Does anyone need a chronos tear? If not goto #4
#4 Does anyone in the party need Hastega? If not goto #5

and so on...

The bad part is certain... or all.. "buffs" don't overwrite themselves...
That is, when you cast haste... and it lasts say... 3minutes...
You can not "refresh" that haste.. you must wait for it to fall, then cast it again.
This gets bad when people die, because the newly revived needs a haste... so you cast Hastega.. and the newly revived has a haste timer of say... 3min.. whereas the other two didnt get refreshed and have a haste timer of 30 seconds... So in 30 seconds, you will waste time hasting again.

That may not seem much of a difference now.. but it is annoying to be "rebuffing" on some bosses like the utlimate secret boss :).....
So at some points, you may not want to have every single beneficial spell being cast ahead of attack...
If your party has to buff Protect, shell, haste, decoy, Bravery, Faith, and something else... all before attacking.. and the enemy is casting death every 10 seconds.... you'll never make any progress because you're spending all your time buffing.

Renmiri
02-20-2007, 03:57 AM
True, that's why I usually had Reddas berserk, i.e., just hacking away while the others buffed and lowered enemy stats with Addle, Expose, Dispel, Reverse, etc.... :D

BTW, here's my list of "buffer spells". Do you thik I need to add some ?

* Bravery - Increases physical attack strength
* Bubble - Doubles an ally's HP
* Faith - Increases magical attack strength
* Float - Float thru traps. Can be bought in Eruyt Village
* Haste - Speeds character's actions. Can be bought in Eruyt Village
* Protect - Shields the receiver somewhat from physical attacks
* Reflect - Makes all magic attacks or spells be reflected back to the caster. Handy with elementals
* Regen - Adds some HP to character at each turn
* Shell - More protection to the target
* Vanish - Renders one ally invisible to the enemy
* Hastega - Casts Haste on the whole party
* Protectga - Casts Protect to the entire party
* Reflectga - Casts Reflect on the whole party
* Shellga - Casts Shell to the entire party
* Vanishga - Casts Vanish to the entire party

Mirage
02-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Vanish never seemed to work for me. I got aggro anyway.

ValiantKnight
02-20-2007, 11:10 AM
It works for enemies only :)

The enemies in Nabudis use it well... cant see em til close to them.
However we can't use it except to use mana for no effect :)