PDA

View Full Version : Horror

Dr Aum
02-18-2007, 04:34 AM
Do you enjoy horror movies/games/literature? If so, what are some of your favorites in the genre? If not, why?

I've had a fascination with horror for practically all my life, probably stemming from my birthdate (my birthday always tended to get conflated with Halloween, at least to me) and the fact that my parents were extremely lenient in what sort of movies I watched.

kikimm
02-18-2007, 04:55 AM
I can't stand horror movies. Even though I've seen quite a bit of them. I don't know how I get dragged into these things!

I can't really say that I like reading horror either--but Stephen King is one of my favourite authors. I don't find his books very scary, but I suppose that isn't really the point.

I looooove survival horror though. Silent Hill is the best thing ever. I guess I like being scared by them. I like the stories and I like that those games are MATURE. Just so addicting.

Ramza Beoulve
02-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I live for Horror :)

Ryth
02-18-2007, 05:39 AM
I can enjoy a horror movie that is well done (i.e. Poltergeist) but I've yet to really be scared by a horror movie. As for the genre as a whole, it tends to range from boring to distastefully gross.

XxSephirothxX
02-18-2007, 05:56 AM
I really dislike horror movies as a genre. The few good ones I would say could be categorized as something different--like Alien is just as much a sci-fi or suspense film as it is a horror one.

Stephen King is fucking awesome, though. His movies are typically not so great, and kinda straight-up horror, but the books I've read are really different. They're really not scary, but they're written extremely well.

black orb
02-18-2007, 05:57 AM
>>> Horror movies, they bore me to death unless they are well done, my fav is The Devil`s Backbone, I didnt like The Ring..
Horror games, I never liked them..
Horror literaure, Im not good reading books..
Horror manga/comic, never had the chance to read one, I`ve heard some are pretty cool..

Shoeberto
02-18-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm iffy on them. Either they're lame or too scary for me. It's hard to find a middle ground.

BarelySeeAtAll
02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
i love things that make me jump (so i have an excuse to scream...love the screaming), things with blood in them, stuff which makes people think i will go try doing some of the stuff or will affect my mind...its so funny

Dreddz
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Horror is probably my favourite genre of movie. Some of my personal favourite movies come from the genre. John Carpenter still remains by favourite director. The Thing was the perfect horror movie for me.

I never liked horror books because well....I dont like books. Moving on.

As for gaming, again, I cant get enough of horror games.

The genre however, is pretty lacking as of recent. With the best horror movie directors packing it in ( John Carpenter, John Landis, Wes Craven ), its a pretty dire genre, with everything being a remake of an Asian horror it seems.

I Don't Need A Name
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
i enjoy both horror movies and games. i see most horror films as more comedy though, as they are so stupid and predictable (i.e. a woman goes into the most silly place, which she would only go when a killer is in the house. or someone will be running away, fall over and then never get up again: waiting for the killer to come for them)

Resha
02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I am like a huge coward. I have never been able to stand even horror movie trailers. :-)

Mythra
02-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I can stand to watch horror movies, they really don't bug me that much. But there are only a few that I really enjoy watching (Silent Hill, The Thing, etc..). I've read a bunch of books by Stephen King (currently reading the dark tower series) but I don't really consider his books "horror", some maybe.

Polaris
02-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I enjoy horror films but not games or literature... horror literature does not scare me at all

Zeldy
02-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I loove horror movies, Its usually all I ever watch movie wise. I like being scared. The Ring and The Grudge are 2 of my favourite movies. I don't care much for gore, but anything psychological or suspense I love.

Ive never read a horror book.

Ive never cared much for a horror game either. I'd get too worked up and start panicing.

Nominus Experse
02-18-2007, 02:54 PM
As a whole, the horror genre comes off as more of a gratuitous show of violence and gore than anything remotely layered or worthwhile. However, there are exceptions, and of these gems, I find myself completely and utterly immersed in them.

I have also found that I prefer horror video games rather than movies. I believe this is largely in part that a video game forces one to interact with the often bleak and ghostly environments, effectively enhancing the experience via immersing the viewer/player. Additionally, one is able to watch the story unfold as they play, which is a wondrous experience indeed.

I enjoy horror. I like macabre and grotesque. But I also need substance - a plot, characters that are dynamic, real, and/or someone you can relate to on some level. And at present, most of the horror movies I have seen fall short of this, instead relying on pure shock value and tiring displays of gore and violence.

I haven't read many horror books, but they seemed to be good. Not quite scary or frightening, but more or less well-written and most definitely worth the time it took for me to read them. The greatest aspect of the horror books I have read is that the plot and mystery played pertinent roles, forcing them to become elaborate, complex dynamics that draw the reader in. And how some authors can handle the complexities of characters and their development is delicious.

Venom
02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I can watch a horror movies but 75% of the ones I have seen bored the Hell outta me.

Giga Guess
02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I love horror movies. ust not the cheap slasher flicks. I prefer the more psychological ones (ie// The Silent Hill games.)

Dr Aum
02-18-2007, 04:29 PM
my fav is The Devil`s Backbone

I'm glad to find someone else who's seen this film. It's a real treasure.

Moon Rabbits
02-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I can't stand horror movies. Even though I've seen quite a bit of them. I don't know how I get dragged into these things!

I can't really say that I like reading horror either--but Stephen King is one of my favourite authors. I don't find his books very scary, but I suppose that isn't really the point.

I looooove survival horror though. Silent Hill is the best thing ever. I guess I like being scared by them. I like the stories and I like that those games are MATURE. Just so addicting.

I'm pretty much the same about the horror fiction+games, I love Stephen King and Silent Hill. Although, I do like some horror movies, I usually find them stupid or uninteresting. Zombie movies however :bigsmile:...

NINJA_Ryu
02-19-2007, 04:04 AM
I can enjoy a horror movie that is well done (i.e. Poltergeist) but I've yet to really be scared by a horror movie. As for the genre as a whole, it tends to range from boring to distastefully gross.

Araciel
02-19-2007, 04:04 AM
eh...horror? i could take it or leave it, as with most genres, although it does kinda blend in with fantasy which is my all-time favourite...so i guess i'm a fan.

Martyr
02-19-2007, 05:00 AM
I do not like horror.

The plotlines are almost always shallow.
If the plot and story is kinda good, then that's ruled out by the incerdible grossness of everything in a horror movie.
It's obviously a genre that is meant to thrill certain types of people who I just can't relate to. I do not watch it. I did not watch Night of the Living Dead or Scream or Silence of the Lambs or even Hostel, despite Quentin Tarrantino.
I will not watch Hannibal Rising.

Bleah. If I need to see gore, then I can see it in real life. It's less horrifying that way.

Rocket Edge
02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I like some examples of horror movies, but a lot of the time horror is shown to impress an audience of teen movie-goers.

My favorite’s of the genre:
The Blair Witch Project: Two key things: It sounded & looked real. The ending spooked me out too, a feeling I never got from a horror movie before.
The Village: To think that a whole village would be so freaked out by a wolf in a cloak is pretty pathetic, but I must say I was well excited with a particular scene which involved the villain knocking around people's door's, and the utter fear around the village. I thought that was great.
The Shining: Great movie, I wasn't spooked out by it or anything, but because it belongs to the horror genre, I’ll add this to the list.

Least favorites:
Saw: This movie is without question the worst I have ever seen. Totally rubbish, and I didn’t see the point to a movie in which made me feel angry after I seen it.
The Exorcist: Totally overrated movie.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
I find documentaries are generally scarier

Burtsplurt
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I kind of have a love-hate relationship with horror films. I generally spend only half of the time looking at the screen (or, even worse, I tried watching The Shining a couple of weeks ago, but had to stop the DVD because it was too scary. The sad thing is that I've seen it a couple of times before).

But when they're good, they get the adrenaline going. The Descent, Night of the Living Dead, The Shining and Ring are probably my favourites. When I can watch them, that is.

Riana
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I love horror. :)

The Resident Evil series are one of my favourite games. I enjoy Dracula films and I loved Underworld.

I like horrors that make me jump in my seat, and very, very rarely will I turn away or cover my eyes in scenes. It has to be something absolutely revolting to do that. I guess the last film I did that was from 'Saw';

When the doctor starts sawing his foot off. I mean I knew someone was going to. XD

That made me squeal. The sight of blood in general doesn't get to me at all. I just love the thrill you get, when the suspense aches you etc etc.

Horrors are good for you. :)

I do mean good for you, you're supposed to scare yourself at least once a day, that's good for your heart. But try not to watch something that will mentally destroy you. :D

Levian
02-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know if Horror is the right term for what I have a fascination of. Crime or Murder mystery would describe it better, I suppose. In most cases horror comes along with those though, but there's also a lot of horror without mystery too, and that's the part of horror I find rather boring. I don't enjoy watching a movie with a werewolf who goes around slashing up people for no reason. I could enjoy a movie with an unknown person who goes around slashing people for a reason that makes sense in the end of the movie. However, in most movies it's more or less impossible to guess who the murderer is and figuring out the motive, so that's where books are better, I guess. And because of all this, I really don't like supernatural horrors, because I find that not intriguing or scary, just silly.

I enjoy survival horror games, but that's mostly because of the riddles and the gameplay. I'd enjoy them more if they had stories that fascinated me more though, as in not supernatural and more mystery. The only one who's even close to that is Silent Hill. Clock Tower 1 for PS was also pretty realistic up until the very end.

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie is a perfect example of what I want in a horror. Suspense, mystery and a logical explanation. Same with Murder on the Orient Express.

There's lots of rubbish in the horror genre, but when it gets good, oh boy does it get good.

Chloe.
02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
I loove horror movies, Its usually all I ever watch movie wise. I like being scared. The Ring and The Grudge are 2 of my favourite movies. I don't care much for gore, but anything psychological or suspense I love.

Ive never read a horror book.

Ive never cared much for a horror game either. I'd get too worked up and start panicing.

It's exactly the same for me.

vinnie's mini's
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I like to enjoy horror from a safe distance, preferably under a blanket and a safe distance from any doors or windows. It is true that I watch mostly horror movies but most of the time I am scared beyond belief.

I don't really read books that often and if I do its not usually a horror book.

Now, horror games are in a league of their own! Let me tell you that even your average shoot em up scares me to death! So horror games are out of the question!