PDA

View Full Version : Why I didn't major in math

Raistlin
02-18-2007, 06:31 AM
From <a href="http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/2007/02/why_i_didnt_major_in_math.php">Evolving Thoughts</a>:

http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/calc.jpg

The math looks like calculus. I can sympathize.

Shoeberto
02-18-2007, 06:36 AM
I can't tell the specifics, obviously, but I'm in calc I and it doesn't look like anything too crazy. Though that sigma from 1 to infinite should be written as a limit as n approaches infinite, I believe. That how we were taught, at least. It just looks like integration and also a reason to not be stupid and use a pen to do math. That's just foolish.

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2007, 06:42 AM
I can count my numbers all the way up high sommers in the thousands.

nik0tine
02-18-2007, 07:21 AM
That's so ridiculous. I can't even read the first line.

Yuriev's ghost
02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
old

Madame Adequate
02-18-2007, 07:40 AM
The dude hanging? That's me when I tried to take math further than I was able to ;_;

Zeromus_X
02-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Ugh, stuff like this is why math is just plain dumb.

o_O
02-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I sometimes wish I wasn't majoring in maths too.

My integrals are heaps messier than those first few though. Sometimes I can't even read what I'm trying to solve.

KentaRawr!
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, that first line doesn't look too complicated. If it were in my math book, it would be a very easy question. Sadly, that seems to be for display purposes, and not as a question on a test. After that, my brain fries. :(

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Who the hell would hand in an exam question written on grid paper if it didnt involve graphing, and even then grid paper is for amatuers. I personally can't wait to learn some more advanced stuff in maths. The only thing i dont like is writing working out though...

-

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Uhhhh.........lol?

Old Manus
02-18-2007, 12:25 PM
When it comes to that, hanging yourself is the answer. Full marks.

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2007, 12:32 PM
If we're talking about Raistlin then hanging himself is always the best answer.

Faris
02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Now I'm afraid to take calculus next year :Oo:

When my grade 10 math teacher told the class that we'd need more than one page to solve just one question, my brain died. It was only quadratics too. =(

Rye
02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty bad at Math. I don't even want to take Pre-Calc next year, since only 3 years of Math are required, but the guidance councilor made me because she said it looks good. ;__;

So basically, the little hangy man would be on the second step of the problem for me.

Meat Puppet
02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Wow, I thought this thread was about meth for so long. :Oo:

Anyway, I got up to the horseshoe & then my brain melted. Mathematiques and I have never really been able to get along. I have always tried hard to be able to understand, but I just don’t seem to have the brain for it. Like, no matter how slow I go, I always find it extremely easy at the start, and then end up exploding on a brick wall.

One time I cried when I had to do division.

Zeldy
02-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Maths is like a foriegn language to me and Im not even into the really difficult stuff yet. Its starting to get scarier, though xD
Ive never been good with Maths, I remember in primary school crying over Fractions. I just couldn't get my head around them.
Im just starting my Maths GCSE years and it sucks that my year group is the last to do Maths coursework ;________;

Agent Proto
02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Why did the person do it in pen? You're not supposed to use pens!

Raistlin
02-18-2007, 04:00 PM

When my grade 10 math teacher told the class that we'd need more than one page to solve just one question, my brain died.

In calculus my senior year of high school, we had a full-period (45 minute) test that consisted of two questions. I was the only one who finished early (and by like 3 minutes).

I liked most math classes, but this still amused me. I also would never major in math.

Polaris
02-18-2007, 04:01 PM
WTF? That was why I gave up math even before I started making that stuff :exdee:

Dr Aum
02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
It looks like faux-calculus for the purpose of humor. At first glance it seems to be a rotational calculation around a non-axis line, but there's no reason for it to use silly symbols like omega as far as I know. Also, I'm not used to there being integrals of summations--it seems a little redundant. Then again, I haven't taken calculus in a year and might be a little rusty. =/ Right now I'm in Statistics (bore of bores; at least calculus was interesting).

Little Blue
02-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Also, I'm not used to there being integrals of summations--it seems a little redundant.

I thought so too, since integrals are defined as a summation over a contrinuous distribution (I think)

But then I thought differentiation under the intergration sign was silly... how wrong I was when that came up in my maths lectures last week... I'm glad I'm not doing a degree in maths though, but physics is mostly maths anyway...

Madame Adequate
02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Who the hell would hand in an exam question written on grid paper if it didnt involve graphing, and even then grid paper is for amatuers. I personally can't wait to learn some more advanced stuff in maths. The only thing i dont like is writing working out though...

-

In England, all maths is done on grid paper.

Dr Aum
02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
But then I thought differentiation under the intergration sign was silly...

Differentiation? Do you mean derivative?

Integrals of derivatives are useful because of that F(b)-F(a) theorem (I forget what it's called).

nik0tine
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM

-

In England, all maths is done on grid paper.
Graph paper is unAmerican.

Raistlin
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Definitely. I used graph paper only a handful of times in high school.

Moon Rabbits
02-18-2007, 07:00 PM

When my grade 10 math teacher told the class that we'd need more than one page to solve just one question, my brain died. It was only quadratics too. =(

I didn't have to use that much paper with quadratic stuff :\

But the picture is funny~

Iceglow
02-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah all your exercise books in England are done on Graph paper. Though we tend to just call it math paper and Graphpaper is the paper with all the 1x1 mm squares that has the heavier 1 x 1 centimeter square grid marked on it.

Sucks.

Little Blue
02-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Integrals of derivatives are useful because of that F(b)-F(a) theorem (I forget what it's called).

Nope, I mean differentiation under the integral sign. (Apparently its an easier method of solving complex integrals by differentiating the integrand with respect to a new variable and then integrating that with respect to the original variable, as opposed to integration by parts.)

Yeah all your exercise books in England are done on Graph paper. Though we tend to just call it math paper and Graphpaper is the paper with all the 1x1 mm squares that has the heavier 1 x 1 centimeter square grid marked on it.

Sucks.

I miss those books. In GCSE I used to colour the squares in the back pages in with alternating colours until I had a chessboard like pattern.

yanis
02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Actually Math was my favourite lesson!!!:chuckle:

Dr Aum
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM

Nope, I mean differentiation under the integral sign. (Apparently its an easier method of solving complex integrals by differentiating the integrand with respect to a new variable and then integrating that with respect to the original variable, as opposed to integration by parts.)

Oops, my mistake. I just learned on Wikipedia that differentiation is the same as what I was taught as "taking the derivative of." Suddenly differential equations make much more sense. :sweat:

Peegee
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty bad at Math. I don't even want to take Pre-Calc next year, since only 3 years of Math are required, but the guidance councilor made me because she said it looks good. ;__;

So basically, the little hangy man would be on the second step of the problem for me.

But Rye you have to math to be asian!

I've done really basic mathematics that required an entire page of hand-written 'proof'. That alone hurt my head. Anything harder than that and I'll either make a mistake or lose my train of thought :p

edit:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5679/lolmath2lp2.jpg

Ouch!
02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
This is precisely why I'm going to follow my cousin's example and take classes like Mathematics for Liberal Arts and Science Majors to avoid ever taking calculus. I've already ducked out of it in high school, I hope to be as lucky in the years to come.

oddler
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Math wasn't too bad while I was taking it. It was my favorite subject, actually.
I probably wouldn't even be able to complete the square or any other kind of kinky factoring now, though.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I always liked math. In High School, it was easy. I took one Calc course in university and I did horrible, passed, but horrible. I think the problem was that all we were marked on was web-work (which was too easy), assigments (which were ridiculously hard most of the time) and quizzes. That was 15% of our grade. The final was 85% of it. We did not have a means between the two. Apparently the final was suppose to be somewhere inbetween which it was, but still. It kinda sucks the difficulty is not consistent. Also I missed like the last four weeks of class when we did integrals (which we did not cover in High School).

ljkkjlcm9
02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
that's nothing. I could probably solve that if I could see the whole thing. In college, engineering typically requires using "engineering paper" which is green paper with light grids on it.

I hated aerospace engineering, because it's far more complex than that problem even dreamed of being.

THE JACKEL

eestlinc
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM
nobody has to do stuff like that in a regular first-year calculus class.

ljkkjlcm9
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
nobody has to do stuff like that in a regular first-year calculus class.

and on top of that, everything you learn in the first two years of calculus, that takes an entire page to do, you learn how to do in 2 seconds.

THE JACKEL

~*~Celes~*~
02-20-2007, 12:34 AM
I like geometry....:|