PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV's.

boys from the dwarf
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
how can you tell if a TV is a LCD TV or not?

i the TV i have in my room is 50HZ and small screen. I know the The GunCon2 light gun is not compatible with LCDs and its the one im planning to buy. im going to see what wikipedia has to say about this.

rubah
02-18-2007, 06:34 PM
well I'd imagine that if it didn't have a CRT in it, then it'd be an lcd, but that's just my thinking.

Yamaneko
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
If it sticks out considerably in the back then it's a CRT, otherwise LCD.

boys from the dwarf
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I've looked on wikipedia and Im near certain that My TV is a CRT. Thanks.

Just one more thing i need to know before i get the Guncon 2 light gun.

my TV is a small screen not wide screen. will that affect anything?

Mirage
02-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Small is not the opposite of wide :p, when talking about screen size. A 30" widescreen is in fact smaller than a 30" 4:3 screen.

The screen size or shape makes no difference, really, only the technology used, which is either CRT, LCD or in some cases "plasma" (that's what they like to call it anyway). Plasma screens look about the same as LCD screens.

o_O
02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
An easy way to tell the difference between LCD and plasma screens is that plasma screens have a glass pane across the face of them, and LCDs don't. So if you can see your reflection in it, then you have a plasma screen.

Also, don't play games on a plasma screen, ever.

If it sticks out considerably in the back then it's a CRT, otherwise LCD.

It could be a rear-projection. :p

Mirage
02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Many new LCD screens actually have a hard plastic cover that reflects light :p. I've seen this on many laptops; it seems to make the users believe their picture is sharper because it looks shinier :p.

Yamaneko
02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Some LCDs also have an anti-glare finish on the matte screen which can produce a grainy picture.

It could be a rear-projection. :p
Not on a "small" screen.

But yeah, plasma has terrible ghosting at high fps. Supposedly you could also start to burn an image into the screen if let still for a while, but I don't know how widespread this problem is.

o_O
02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
But yeah, plasma has terrible ghosting at high fps. Supposedly you could also start to burn an image into the screen if let still for a while, but I don't know how widespread this problem is.

Older plasmas suffer from extremely fast burn in, whilst newer ones only suffer from pretty quick burn in. On newer screens, the screen burn can usually be reversed by leaving it on a high-contrast cyclic display, like snow from a static channel.

At any rate LCDs don't suffer from burn in at all.

My laptop has a Clearbrite screen (and it really does look nicer; without that anti-glare finish there is more accurate and vibrant color. :p), but I was more talking about plasma and LCD televisions. They wouldn't use a plastic cover over any TV, because warping would cause distortion in the picture and reflection, and as far as I know, they haven't made any LCDs with glass panels.