PDA

View Full Version : FFXII Strategy Guide

Renmiri
02-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Begin Rant---

I got cheated! I demand my money back!!!

I bought all 3 japanese Ultimanias for FFXII thinking I would have far more info on XII than mere mortals who just bought the - usually bland - Brady strategy guide.

Turns out that all I have on the tiny Ultimanias in japanese is available, in english, in larger print and a much larger page at the Brady guide! :mad:

Now how will I be able to show off my radical knowledge of all things FFXII if everyone has a better book than I have!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

--- End Rant

Just Kidding!

But seriously, the FFXII strategy guide by Brady is surprisingly good. It has all the hunts, all the side missions, all the maps with treasure chest locations included, all stores, all items and tons of pictures in almost 500 pages, 9 x 14'' printed pages instead of the tiny pages of my Ultimanias.

I want my money back :cry:

McLovin'
02-18-2007, 08:23 PM
You trusted those Japs? :p

ThundagAuron
02-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh well. At least you're uber-hardcore now.

BTW, yes, the strategy guide is the best in recent memory.

Aurons_Desciple
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Piggyback FTW

DM_Melkhar
02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I have the Bradygames official strategy guide, and it is rather good. I WILL be getting the hardbark complete guide that is soon to be out. The first hardback FF guide that I've come across.......is it the first?

Wolf Kanno
02-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Definetly the best guide I've seen from Brady Games in awhile. I thought Double Jump was the only group capable of creating cool guides/source books but the FFXII guide has restored my faith in them.

Definetly a far cry from the abysmal FFIX guide Square made:mad:

Renmiri
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Yes, I believe a hard back guide will be a first for FF

Little Blue
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I was under the impression that the Ultimania guides aren't actually walkthroughs and strategy guides, more like guides for the backstories and other crazy stuff like that, so frankly I think you bought a turkey thinking it was a chicken...

Anyway, I dunno if I want the hardback version since my other guides are all the plain piggyback covers, but its cheaper by about a fiver so I'm getting the hardback :p

Yuriev's ghost
02-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I refuse on principal to buy strategy guides for FF games, since for years Square has been putting crap into their games that is almost impossible to work out without them. FFXII's Zodiac Spear is probably one of the best examples of this rather annoying trend.

So yeah, free online guides all the way for me. Some of the guides on gamefaq (especially the ones by split_infinity) tend to have more information than the Brady Guides anyway.

Setzer Gabianni
02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Piggyback FTW

Bradygames as long as it has the info..is still a good guide.

Never had a Piggyback Guide lol, actually this is the first I have ever even got a guide for a game.

Renmiri
02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
I was under the impression that the Ultimania guides aren't actually walkthroughs and strategy guides, more like guides for the backstories and other crazy stuff like that, so frankly I think you bought a turkey thinking it was a chicken..

Ah but I also have the japanese Final Fantasy XII Formal Guidebook (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-lz-49-en-70-1a4j.html) and the Brady guide is still much superior than that one too. For starters it has more pages, covers all areas (the japanese guide stops after Archades) and it is printed on twice the size (8.5' x 14 instead of 5.5' x 8.5'). And it's in english!!!

I want my money back :cry: This time the japanese guides are far inferior!

Little Blue
02-21-2007, 11:04 AM
So you're criticising books produced for the Japanese market for being in Japanese?:Oo:

And that link still doesn't claim to be a strategy guide:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-2c-74-8uec-49-en-29-text-44-co.html

It has story info, stats and gameplay info, no walkthroughs. (I know it says and much more, but I would've thought if it had a walkthrough it would be one of the big things to promote over something like story info or stats).

I still think you're buying something thinking its something else, but A5 size is a bit stingy, I'll grant you that :p.

rubah
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
She's criticizing it because it *isn't* in japanese, is what I saw.

Little Blue
02-21-2007, 10:58 PM
She's criticizing it because it *isn't* in japanese, is what I saw.

I beg to differ, unless I'm reading your post, or in fact all posts, wrong :p. She often points out the jap books are not in english (they are in japanese) whereas the brady guides are, as one would expect, in english.

Turns out that all I have on the tiny Ultimanias in japanese is available, in english, in larger print and a much larger page at the Brady guide!

Ah but I also have the japanese Final Fantasy XII Formal Guidebook (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-lz-49-en-70-1a4j.html) and the Brady guide is still much superior than that one too. For starters it has more pages, covers all areas (the japanese guide stops after Archades) and it is printed on twice the size (8.5' x 14 instead of 5.5' x 8.5'). And it's in english!!!