PDA

View Full Version : just starting

thegirth
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
i am starting this game for the first time ever and wanted to know if anyone has any advice

Mirage
02-18-2007, 11:41 PM
When you fight enemies that gain you experience points, always be sure to equip espers that give you stat bonuses at levelup. The Stamina stat is useless, and you should save HP/MP bonuses to high levels (85-99), because those bonuses benefit you more at high levels than at low levels, while the other stat bonuses are equally beneficial at all levels.

Doing this means you will often have to equip espers that don't teach you new magic. You should catch up on spells in areas where you don't gain experience, such as at the Veldt (the area of the world map where you meet Gau).

LoKuS
02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Enjoy it.

Xurts
02-19-2007, 02:47 AM
When you fight enemies that gain you experience points, always be sure to equip espers that give you stat bonuses at levelup. The Stamina stat is useless, and you should save HP/MP bonuses to high levels (85-99), because those bonuses benefit you more at high levels than at low levels, while the other stat bonuses are equally beneficial at all levels.

Doing this means you will often have to equip espers that don't teach you new magic. You should catch up on spells in areas where you don't gain experience, such as at the Veldt (the area of the world map where you meet Gau).
Anyone who levels past 60 is going to be way overleveled, and nothing will be a challenge. It's even pretty easy at 40-50. The items that are available at the end will give you the ability to kill anything without much effort if you have a decent level.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the stat bonuses. Focus on learning new magic, and then equip like vigor, magic, or HP/MP bonuses depending on the character.

Mirage
02-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Not if he plays the GBA version.

Anyway, what I said will benefit him at any level. The HP bonuses he'll get at level 1-50 would be pretty insignificant anyway(besides, from 1-30 you won't have espers that boost HP a lot anyway), and the other stats are more valuable, in my opinion. I'd rather have 3000 HP that I could fully heal in one turn, than 4000 HP and healing for 2000 per turn. Stronger magic power means you save more MP too; say Thundara deals 3000 damage with 60 magic, and uses 22 MP. This is clearly better than using two turns casting Thundara for 1500 damage with a magic power of 40, and at the same time, you use twice the amount of MP to deal the same amount of damage.

This is why I say you should always focus on strength and magic instead of HP and MP. MP will be maxed anyway, and if you're having problems running out of MP, get a golden hairpin, it'll save you more MP than MP bonuses at levelup will ever gain you.

He was asking for advice. What I'm saying is how to build his characters in an effecient way, which would certainly be helpful to his playthrough.

Furthermore, you might want to not open any of the chests in the Narshe mines, Mt. Kolts, or in the cave leading to South Figaro. This is because the items in these chests will change to something much better if you wait until after a huge (and I mean really huge) plot twist (you'll know when you get there :p)

Jowy
02-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Anyone who levels past 60 is going to be way overleveled, and nothing will be a challenge. It's even pretty easy at 40-50. The items that are available at the end will give you the ability to kill anything without much effort if you have a decent level.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the stat bonuses. Focus on learning new magic, and then equip like vigor, magic, or HP/MP bonuses depending on the character.

If you're playing FFVI Advance disregard that as you will need to levelgrind and boost your stats to beat the Dragon's Den/Soul Shrine.

The stat boosts help immensely. Having Gau hit everything on the screen for 9999 for 0 MP is very nice. If I hadn't leveled him up from level 25 to level 40 with boosted magic from Zona Seeker and Valigarmanda, I'd probably not even do half of that.

ljkkjlcm9
02-19-2007, 03:24 AM
could someone refresh me on which stat, magic or strength, per character is better for their special. Some are obvious, such as a Strago Lore would be better for magic, but others not so much! I always forget this except for with my favorite characters, but with the new dungeon, I'd prefer having all my players be good damage dealers

THE JACKEL

Mirage
02-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Terra's Morph/Trance just doubles her physical and magical damage, the stats to increase would depend on what you make her, a fighter or a mage (I recommend mage though, as she has the second highest starting magic power).

Sabin has both physical and magical blitzes. Pummel, for example, is based on strength, while Aurabolt/cannon is based on magic.

I'm not entirely sure about Locke, but word is that speed affects your steal success rate.

Celes' Runic simply absorbs magic as MP, no stats affect that.

I think most of Edgar's tools are based on strength, Bio blaster might be magic, but I never cared about using that. Drill/chainsaw all the way.

Gau's rages depend on what attack he uses. Some are magical, others are physical.

Relm's Sketch is dependent on which attack her drawings use. However, I find that the overall strenght of the enemy she sketches has a much bigger impact than any of her own stats. You should focus on magic for Relm anyway, as she has the highest starting magic.

Cyan's Bushido/swordtech, strength all the way.

Shadow's throw is dependent on strength for all physical weapons. The strength modifier seems to be huge, as my shurikens went from 2000 damage to 9000 damage just by increasing strength from ~55 to ~80 (did this with a hyper wrist). I believe elemental scrolls are dependent on magic.

I think that's all the characters who can equip espers.

-edit-

How could I forget Mog? His dances are magical, for the most part.

And you already covered Strago.

Jowy
02-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Setzer's slot effects are magick based as well.

Mirage
02-19-2007, 04:33 AM
I forgot Setzer because I never used his slots much...

Jowy
02-19-2007, 04:36 AM
They're only useful when you rig them in your favor. ;D

thegirth
02-19-2007, 07:00 AM
FTR i am playing advanced

Enjoy it.

that is the only bit of advice that really meant anything to me, as i have no espers

Mirage
02-19-2007, 07:06 AM
You will get them soon enough. In about 5-10 hours of gameplay or so I assume.

thegirth
02-19-2007, 09:52 AM
ok

sephirothishere
02-19-2007, 12:12 PM
....its probably a waste of time to level to 99 with all fourteen characters....

ljkkjlcm9
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
....its probably a waste of time to level to 99 with all fourteen characters....

that seems like a silly statement regarding a video game.... A game in general is technically a waste of time.

Was it a waste of time mastering every job for every character in FFV advance? Yeah, I'll be maxing most of the characters out, just because I'm a perfectionist in my video gaming.

THE JACKEL

Mirage
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
And as I said, the bonus dungeon requires higher levels than what you need to bring down the main badguy.

ReloadPsi
02-19-2007, 02:33 PM
And once you've completed it, try and find Awful Fantasy somewhere on the net. It's ridden with absurd bugs and glitches that add to the humour.

LoKuS
02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
FTR i am playing advanced

Enjoy it.

that is the only bit of advice that really meant anything to me, as i have no espers

lol, im glad i could help.

Xurts
02-21-2007, 10:26 PM
@ Mirage and Jowy: I don't have the GBA version, so everything I said goes for all of the FF6 games except for the GBA.

Darius
02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
i am starting this game for the first time ever and wanted to know if anyone has any advice

I know you said you didnt have any espers yet but this will help you in the long run since they are an important part of the game. Learning how to use them when you finally get them will help you more in the long run.

Once you get to around lvl 50 you should have bahamut. It adds +50% hp per level. All your characters can reach 9999 hp with this by level 85-90 leaving you with an extra 10 or so levels to boost other stats.

Make sure you fight Intangir before you finish the Floating Continent (worded this so there wont be any spoiler alerts). If you dont, you will never ever see it again. That is, if your a hardcore player and want to get all of Gaus Rages.

Its just like any other FF game. And like I said before, by the end of the game its just like any other FF. Its all about dealing damage. With all the choosable characters in the game, I usually just stick with a core 4 that are insanely overpowered.

Mirage
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Darius, as I have demonstrated earlier, you will reap greater benefits from Bahamut's HP +50% the higher the levels are, meaning it is more beneficial to do it at the last few levels.

In your example you said to use bahamut from 50-90 in order to get 9999 HP, and then equip espers that boost other stats. In my example, you can spend all the levels from 50-90 boosting stats, and then equip Bahamut for the ten last levels. That way will still get you 9999 HP, but you will in addition have a lot higher stats.

And good luck beating an intangir in WoB without vanish/doom. However, encountering it and fleeing the battle is enough for it to appear on the Veldt.

Jowy
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
It can be done, however. You just need to constantly cast Vanish/Stop every other turn to make sure it doesn't get an attack in.

Darius
02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Darius, as I have demonstrated earlier, you will reap greater benefits from Bahamut's HP +50% the higher the levels are, meaning it is more beneficial to do it at the last few levels.

In your example you said to use bahamut from 50-90 in order to get 9999 HP, and then equip espers that boost other stats. In my example, you can spend all the levels from 50-90 boosting stats, and then equip Bahamut for the ten last levels. That way will still get you 9999 HP, but you will in addition have a lot higher stats.

Hmm, good call. Ill try this instead then. I never really worried much about individual stats because by lvl 99 everything dies in the first round of battle anyways. :p

And good luck beating an intangir in WoB without vanish/doom. However, encountering it and fleeing the battle is enough for it to appear on the Veldt.

I beg to differ. All you need is the spell STOP. It makes it appear and stops it for about 2 rounds. I beat about 20 Intangirs in the WoB using this strategy:

character 1: casts stop
character 2: strong physical attack (edgars drill)
character 3: strong physical attack (sabins pummel)
character 4: decently strong physical attack (Ultima sword with full hp)
character 1: either attacks or casts stop again.

Repeat that and Intangir doesnt even get to attack, aside from casting Meteor when it dies. :cool:

Vanish works too but I like getting my hands dirty muahahahah!!!!!

Mirage
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Takes way too much time at level 25 :p, besides, unless you time your stops perfectly, he does get a few meteors in. For the 10 MAP it gives you, it's not worth it :p. But as I said, encountering it and fleeing is enough to get it on the veldt.

There's also a chance he escapes when he gets low on HP.

Darius
02-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Yea, but I like the challenge. :)
Hes only run away from me once with that strat. Killing rabbits for 1 AP will get you more than 10 in less time too, just like you said. But I just like the challenge. After I do everything in the game and max everything blah blah ill be restarting and going through the game using the bare minimum of everything. My goal is to beat Kefka around lvl 35 (hopefully lower though). My goal...

Jowy
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I did it just to get Step Mine in the WoB. ^^

Mirage
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Kefka at 35 shouldn't be too hard. I remember being about 45 when I beat him my first time.