PDA

View Full Version : Can I move emulators and whatnot with these CD:s?

Peter_20
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Alright, my little brother bought a bunch of CD:s for the computer the other day, and he's fine with me using them, so long as I don't use them up. :p
Anyway, these CD:s have some stuff like "DVD-R 120 min 4.7 GB AccuCORE" written on them.
Can I move emulators and ROM:s with these CD:s, or are they only used for music files?

Flying Mullet
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Those "CDs" are actually DVDs. So you need to make sure that you have a DVD burner to burn data to them.

As for your emulators, you can burn data to the DVDs and put them all on the emulator, but if you want to save states, save games, etc..., you will have to copy the emulator and games to a hard drive to save because the DVD is read-only.

Don't worry about space as all of your emulators and games probably won't even fill a quarter, if not a tenth, of the DVD.

o_O
02-20-2007, 12:04 AM
I really does depend on what you're emulating. If you emulate PSX and have 40 PSX ISOs, then it will fill up many DVDs. But most people are only emulating early Nintendo and Sega consoles, in which case, as Mullet said they'll fit on a DVD easily (as long as you don't have several GoodSets, then you'll need a few. :p).

To answer your main question, again as Mullet said, DVDs can certainly be used for data rather than just audio. They're essentially very high-capacity CDs.

Peter_20
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks. :)

I've got another question, though:
I seem prompted to choose some way to burn the DVD or whatever every time I insert it, and I wonder what the heck I'm supposed to choose?
"Burn new DVD"? "Burn own DVD type"?

Hm, I'm confused. :p

o_O
02-21-2007, 04:31 AM
Personally, I'd cancel the autorun dialog that pops up upon inserting the disc, and use some other software to place the files on the DVD, such as Nero.
I'm pretty sure Windows XP doesn't come with the built-in capability to burn DVDs (I may be wrong - I don't use Windows), so I think you'll need to get some kind of DVD burning software if you don't already.

Tasura
02-21-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm pretty sure Windows XP doesn't come with the built-in capability to burn DVDs (I may be wrong - I don't use Windows), so I think you'll need to get some kind of DVD burning software if you don't already.

Sonic comes with Windows XP, I think, it has the 3 times I've bought an XP computer ^^;

And if you just want to burn a data DVD use this (http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Easy-DVDCD-Burner.shtml), it's only a free trial for a week, but it works.

Peter_20
02-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Alright, I've got yet another problem here:

I inserted this DVD in "H:" and when I'm trying to move the emulators and all the stuff over there the computer goes on about "a problem that occurs", and it won't even tell me WHAT the problem is. >_<

Why is this?
What am I doing wrong?
I'm so fed up with all these unexpected problems. :eep:

o_O
02-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Sonic comes with Windows XP, I think, it has the 3 times I've bought an XP computer ^^;

Sonic comes as OEM software, meaning it may be installed on a computer before it is sold. It's not part of XP though; if you installed XP with your own installation disc, Sonic wouldn't be installed. :p

It is a valid point though, most computers (or burners) are sold either with burning software already installed, or a CD with appropriate software.

I inserted this DVD in "H:" and when I'm trying to move the emulators and all the stuff over there the computer goes on about "a problem that occurs", and it won't even tell me WHAT the problem is. >_<

Do you definitely have a DVD burner and not just a CD burner?