PDA

View Full Version : The "boring - guess I'll try again - IT ROCKS" syndrome...

Peter_20
02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Have you ever tried a new game, found it boring as hell and then come back to it and suddenly found it extremely enjoyable?
I seem to feel that way every time I try a new RPG.

The first time I tried Star Ocean: The Second Story I made it to the part when Rena wants to find her real mother, and then I was bored and quit, only to come back and get obsessed with it.
Same went for Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Breath of Fire: I was totally bored but later enjoyed them with a great passion. :D

Agent Proto
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm totally not like that. Usually, if the game rocks, then I'll likely play it again and find it to still rock my socks. If it's boring the first time, chances are, I AIN'T going to play it again.

Remedy
02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah,
Dragon Q..
I hated the game at the very beginning,but when I play it again it looked OK.

kikimm
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
If I find a game boring, I'll usually come back to it again in a couple days or weeks or months. But I'm pretty sure that I've always still found them boring. Nothing changed!

Dreddz
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I was hoping this would happen with Vagrant Story. It didnt.

Roto13
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Usually if I go back to a game I quit because it was boring, it's still boring the second time.

Dr Aum
02-19-2007, 11:04 PM
The exact same thing happened to me with Resident Evil 4. I just hope that my experience with FFXII is similar.

EDIT: Just realized, I did this with EarthBound too. Can you believe that? I can't fathom ever finding that game uninteresting now.

RiseToFall
02-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes, actually. Hitman: Contracts was like that for me. I played a couple stages and found it to be boring. Then I came back to it later and for some reason found the game to be much more enjoyable.

Yuriev's ghost
02-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Once I declare a game 'crap', chances are I will never enjoy playing it. Or at least, that's how it went down with Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy XII and Children of Mana.

Renmiri
02-20-2007, 01:18 AM
Well kinda....

X-2 and XII will never be my favorite games but I did get to enjoy playing them so I'm glad I tried again and stuck to it through the end.

My favorite games grab me instantly, like X, Zelda or Inuyasha

Araciel
02-20-2007, 01:24 AM
hell no

Agent Proto
02-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Well, there are cases where a game can start off boring, but eventually gets better later in the game. I've been through that, sure, but never where the game sucks the first time, but rocks the next playthrough. Nope.

sockmonkey
02-20-2007, 06:26 AM
I think this happens because the first time playing is accompanied by the frustration from rookie mistakes and work of learning the ins and outs of the game.:mad2:
Wait a few days or weeks and the stress fades but the skills remain.
Then you can really savor all the little touches that make a game great.:love:

(Of course sometimes it really is a lousy game but whaddyagonnado?):confused:

Bahamut, King of Dragons
02-20-2007, 06:55 AM
This has happened to me with both FF 8 and 9, because the only FF I had played previously was 7, and I wasn't too familiar with the series at that point, (i.e., I didn't know that they weren't sequel) so I expected them to be... well, I guess just more like 7. I started both of them and didn't like either of them, but then I wised up and went back to both of them later, and enjoyed the hell out of them. I think I thought Earthbound was boring the first time, but I love it now. I too hope the same thing happens with FF 12, and also Twilight Princess. I started both of them, and I really liked them, but then I had to stop for a few days because of good old responsibility. When I do that with a game, even if I really enjoy it, it is difficult for me to feel like playing it again, and I just leave them. It is usually a long time before I get back into them. It disappoints me, because I had very high expectations for both of those games, and I want to want to play them, if that makes any sense. I am sure that I will love them when I finally play them again.

Elite Lord Sigma
02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
It's slightly different for me. I'll play a game, and then forget about it. When I get really bored, I'll come back to the game, and I'll be really entertained again.

Firo Volondé
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
That happened to me with Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi, but that's probably because the first time, I tried to play it without knowing what was going on, which made it get boring quickly, and the second time, I found a script translation and managed to get almost obsessed with it.

Mirage
02-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Happened with Battlezone for me, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to play the first time.

Laddy
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
It happens to me all the time.

I'm looking at you, Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time.